LE456 vs Revalver MKIII - A quick comparison clip

If you change the Tube Screamer emulation, the sound may change a lot...
TSS is not a really good TS emulation, imho, but it may work good with Engl sims, since in my experience, it seems to cut less lows than a real one.
I need to make another analysis to compare various TS emulations.

Sir2 in the LE456 chain is a huge game changer here. Try re-exporting the clips, (try getting both of the guitars signals equal this time) and use Sir2 for both ReValver and LE456. Sir2 compared to ReValver's convolution RIR unit is the difference between night and day. No wonder the LE456 clip sounds so much fuller. The convolution processor in ReValver is not equal to Sir2. Sir2 is far superior.

Sir2 in the LE456 chain is a huge game changer here. Try re-exporting the clips, (try getting both of the guitars signals equal this time) and use Sir2 for both ReValver and LE456. Sir2 compared to ReValver's convolution RIR unit is the difference between night and day. No wonder the LE456 clip sounds so much fuller. The convolution processor in ReValver is not equal to Sir2. Sir2 is far superior.

I really didn't realise the difference between the two was so big. I know TSS is a piece of crap but I have nothing else to use as a plug-in!

Anyway,

--- UPDATE ---

I've now made another couple of clips, with better levels and both with exactly the same signal chain. I must admit, the differences between the two are now a little blurrier but I still maintain that there's something about the revalver tone that is missing from LE.

LE456

ReValver

I updated the LE456 tone a little too, just made a few tweaks. It's definitely sounding better.

I really didn't realise the difference between the two was so big. I know TSS is a piece of crap but I have nothing else to use as a plug-in!

Anyway,

--- UPDATE ---

I've now made another couple of clips, with better levels and both with exactly the same signal chain. I must admit, the differences between the two are now a little blurrier but I still maintain that there's something about the revalver tone that is missing from LE.

LE456

ReValver

I updated the LE456 tone a little too, just made a few tweaks. It's definitely sounding better.

Now, they almost sound identical. Sir2 was obviously the primary difference. I was happy to help. :)

Tonally, yes. Behaviourally? Not quite I don't think. Also, don't forget I've changed the tone of LE456 since the last clip (which I probably shouldn't have done) to get it to emulate the ReValver tone a bit more (since I preferred it), but even so - it still has the underlying woof and hardness that ReValver doesn't, and I don't think you can get rid of that, it's just an inherent feature.

Tonally, yes. Behaviourally? Not quite I don't think. Also, don't forget I've changed the tone of LE456 since the last clip (which I probably shouldn't have done) to get it to emulate the ReValver tone a bit more (since I preferred it), but even so - it still has the underlying woof and hardness that ReValver doesn't, and I don't think you can get rid of that, it's just an inherent feature.

Mattayus, I think you're misunderstanding my post. My goal was to help you get your signal chain the same so you really could judge ReValver vs the LE456. Both clips now sound very similar in level, and you can judge the nuances of the amp sims more closely. From your first clips, you couldn't. Sorry for any confusion.

It doesn't look like the impulse is being loader with the built in Revalver loader...
It's just a Revalver GUI behaviour/bug. If you close the Rev window and re-open it, the text on the RIR with the Impulse path is gone but the impulse is still there.

Ah I getcha! My bad man sorry. I did misunderstand, and thanks for the help man yeah, it did help to get them both similar :)

Now that you're using Sir2 as your speaker convolution solution, depending on the impulse you're using, you may want to trim your low and high end frequencies with an eq to eliminate any unwanted frequencies. Especially the low end. That's one reason your tone sounds a bit bassy or as you put it, boomy. Sir2 sounds very full compared to ReValver's RIR.

Oh yeah man I know, I always low/high pass my guitars, but for this test I took all EQ off so you can really hear what's what! It definitely needs a high pass, as the cab I'm using (catharsis) is very boomy around 150hz~ and under. It also usually has a very fizzy spike around 12k, but the fact that it's not present there at all without any EQ on the ReValver clip is very impressive!

Had a few requests to post the new LE456 settings, so here you go!

LE456%20new.bmp

It's really tough choosing a modeler because each has it's strongpoints, kind of like different preamps, power amps, cabinets, and mics. In this realm, it doesn't matter what you use to get there, you should try and find the best feeling & sounding plugin for you. The more I play around with Le456, the more I like it. Ever since TSEx30, I've felt that I could get better sounds without ReValver and haven't looked back. It does differ from guitar to guitar on which LePou amp. Raw sounds don't matter a whole lot because some of the worst ones work out better in the mix. I think no matter what you use, you'll get bored and try new impulses, and won't realize how good your sounds were until you listen back after a little hiatus from listening to digital plugins. That's what made me realize the LePou stuff is more like the real thing. I think you have to watch your levels on the way in though. ReValver was very good at getting your levels right. With other plugins, I use Reagate and hi&low pass, reduce the volume a bit (else get a good DI box, but I think you just need to limit your signal a bit especially if you have a noisy one).

Sorry to double post on this thread but I've been using KeFir for the longest time and I got SIR2 and it's less plastic sounding up in the highs. Some of the impulses I made don't need any EQ in SIR2 and in KeFir the levels always seemed off or something strange sometimes. I wish it were cheaper or free to all through donations because it should be standard for testing and using IRs IMHO. That cutoff in KeFir really killed a lot of IRs. Day and night.

Very fast to switch to other IRs in the directory. ReCabinet 3.5 has similar features now but it's been glitchy and not used very much and there's no blending of the original signal which is sometimes needed.

SIR2 is good on my eyes too on my laptop in Cakewalk Music Creator 6 Touch (17" screen at 1920x1080).

Hi, I would like to know when or why should you apply blending with the direct signal to the ir, I can't find a useful application. Thanks