LE456 vs Revalver MKIII - A quick comparison clip

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Jan 31, 2010
Cambs, UK
www.numbskullaudio.com
Just thought it would be interesting to discuss the pros and cons of these sims!
Just a quick clip ripped from one of my band's songs.

Absolutely no EQ on either clip to keep it fair, same signal chain besides the pre-amp (obviously!), same impulses

LE456

Revalver

I think ReValver has the upper hand personally, but only in the palm mutes. Tonally they're both fuckin awesome, but LE456 tends to get a tad muddy/boomy on those palm mutes where as ReValver is tending to act more like a real tube amp and take them in its stride.

Thoughts? :kickass:

I got to agree with too that the Le456 is just more awesome. simply fatter and richer sound.

Man, dude, guys......... seriously? :lol: I don't get that reaction at all.

Personally, I think ReValver not only sounds more "real" (read: less modelled) but is just a lot more ear-friendly. It has less fizz, is more under control and less wild, and just generally acts more like a tube amp. Now, I'm not saying it's more important to have the acoustic characteristics of 'realism' over just straight up sweet tone... but to me it simply has both, as one does tend to go with the other.

The LE456 is a fucking siiiiiiick modeller however (easily the best yet from anyone out there IMO) but when you stack it up against the ReValver tone it just has that inherent solid-state 'hardness' to it (hence, I'm guessing, the rumbly boom in the palm mutes?). ReValver may sound a little thin in that clip, but stacked up against the super boomy tone of the LE it's bound to! For what I'm looking for, there's one clear winner here. Not to mention - I got that ReValver tone in like, literally, minutes. If/when I actually buy it and have a real play around it's going to melt face.

Ok, signal chain time:

ReValver

revalver.JPG

LE456

LE456TSS.JPG

In both instances I used the Catharsis impulses. 2offpreshi on the left, 1onpreshi on the right (quad tracked)

I think I know what you mean and, having used both amp sims, I agree with you. However it's a little hard to judge from the specific clips since the L456 clip seems to have more low end and it's also louder which gives it an advantage.

Well I think you might be splitting hairs a bit.

Bottom line, both sound great and fit that style perfectly. Not to mention tight playing on a very cool sounding breakdown.

There was a killer UK band, where the dude would post clip after clip, different amps, different pre's, etc. All of them sounded amazing, yeah there were differences, but many people were like "WHERE IS THE ALBUM?" that was years ago and I don't think it is out yet.

Both sound great, I wouldn't sweat it. But.... considering LE456 is free and Revalver is $250... It is a taste thing at this point, but bang for the buck. LE456 is a clear winner. Which reminds me, I need to put in a donation.

Revalver by a tiny hair. Definitely helps you have monster chops there, Matt.
However if I had to choose which one I would rather use, it's LE456.
Revalver is fantastic, but now that free amp have well and truly caught up, I don't feel it's worth paying for anymore

Bottom line, both sound great and fit that style perfectly. Not to mention tight playing on a very cool sounding breakdown....

It is a taste thing at this point, but bang for the buck. LE456 is a clear winner...

+1

The music is the most important thing.
Not the tone or the mix or the new ttitanium-graphite-Kryptonite guitar picks from ebay.

The clips are pretty close. I own Revalver only because I'm on Mac or I would use LE456 in a heartbeat over Revalver. Save your money or buy the HP version.

ReValver[/B]

revalver.JPG

LE456

LE456TSS.JPG

In both instances I used the Catharsis impulses. 2offpreshi on the left, 1onpreshi on the right (quad tracked)
Sorry but what do you ahve here is NOT the EXACT chain.
- TS from Revalver is more accurate than TSS
- even if you used the same impulses, SIR and Revalver's RIR do have slightly different influences in the final resultm, so the chains are not identical.

Instead you can use TSS > Revalver 6505 > SIR and TSS > LE456 > SIR.

Well I think you might be splitting hairs a bit.

Bottom line, both sound great and fit that style perfectly. Not to mention tight playing on a very cool sounding breakdown.

There was a killer UK band, where the dude would post clip after clip, different amps, different pre's, etc. All of them sounded amazing, yeah there were differences, but many people were like "WHERE IS THE ALBUM?" that was years ago and I don't think it is out yet.

Both sound great, I wouldn't sweat it. But.... considering LE456 is free and Revalver is $250... It is a taste thing at this point, but bang for the buck. LE456 is a clear winner. Which reminds me, I need to put in a donation.

I think you may very well be talking about me here :lol: or at least could be.

Yeah guys it's cool, I totally get it, it's close, but I posted this not just so I can 'decide' but just as a point of interest, since one is completely free and the other is £150 (or 250 of your American dollars!). If I were to buy it I wouldn't bother getting the full version anyway, HP would suit me just fine, as I'd be using the Peavey amps, and you can always turn the cab part of the signal chain off and load in an impulse VST. The whole amp-modding part of it completely doesn't interest me.

For me, personally, it's ReValver. It has something about it that the free sims don't unfortunately. I can't explain what it is, perhaps it's completely psychological, but if that's what it takes for me to be happy then so be it :lol: I'll try doing another clip of LE456 so it's a bit more fair, since LE456 is indeed much louder in that clip!

I'm always striving to be the chief exponent of advice such as "people don't move to your tone dude, it's the music!" but unfortunately I catch myself getting hung up on the little details :cry: Like I said in a previous post though - the realism isn't the goal here, it's just that ReValver is ACTING more like a real amp, and as a result is more pleasing to my ear, tonally.

Sorry but what do you ahve here is NOT the EXACT chain.
- TS from Revalver is more accurate than TSS
- even if you used the same impulses, SIR and Revalver's RIR do have slightly different influences in the final resultm, so the chains are not identical.

Instead you can use TSS > Revalver 6505 > SIR and TSS > LE456 > SIR.

Good point man, but surely the differences are SUPER subtle? i.e. top end fizz? The whole body of the tone shouldn't be affected, I'm guessing (read: 'hoping')