Lepond at his best...

MorphineChild205

Lt. Horatio Caine
Jun 20, 2003
Chicago
What do you guys think is Lepond's best Symphony X performance?

I'm going to say Awakenings. His solo in the beginning is so cool. When I first heard the song, I thought it was the keyboard (it was a long time ago, and I'd never heard a bass play lead like that).

Lepond is one of the most underrated bassists in all of metal, IMO.

That bit in Fallen right before Allen sings, I swear when I first heard it I rewound it and played it at least 10 times. I like Egypt, too.

dargormudshark said:
First off , Lepond wasn't on the first 4 albums to some of you who mentiones stuff from DWOT. Egypt would probably be my fave. but I like Miller better. Even though Lepond is techinically better, maybe I don't know :erk:

Miller was definetly technically better. Though the only stuff I have of Lepond is The Oddyssey, there's nothing there that's really impressive at all. And I'm listening to Egypt on LOTEOF, and he isn't doing anything worth being amazed over there either. Truth is, Symphony X isn't exactly a band that features its bassists on a level near its guitarist, but then again the same goes for metal. Problem is, Symphony X's production never let's the bass cut through. But I still think Thomas Miller was far better than Lepond, and I can't think of many times where Lepond was doing much of anything at all. Oh well, anyone know what happened to Thomas Miller anyway? I liked Sea of Lies a lot.

I think the tapping things and bass soloing Miller has done in the previous albums are a little bit harder than the ones Lepond is doing, but I'm sure Lepond can play all the older songs quite well. It's sometimes hard to hear him cuz Lepond's bass tone isn't as thick or punchy as Miller's, still I would say his best performance is Egypt or Fallen, and Coolsnow7, I dunno if he does it on LOTEOF, but that tapping interlude on Egypt might not be that hard, but it lasts almost 1 minute, I suggest you to try it, heh not easy.

I'd say Fallen/Egypt/Awakenings... and I am intrigued by this "Frontiers" song and I wonder if it is possible for anyone who has it could e-mail it to me?

Progbass said:
I think the tapping things and bass soloing Miller has done in the previous albums are a little bit harder than the ones Lepond is doing, but I'm sure Lepond can play all the older songs quite well. It's sometimes hard to hear him cuz Lepond's bass tone isn't as thick or punchy as Miller's, still I would say his best performance is Egypt or Fallen, and Coolsnow7, I dunno if he does it on LOTEOF, but that tapping interlude on Egypt might not be that hard, but it lasts almost 1 minute, I suggest you to try it, heh not easy.

Hah, yeah I did try doing it for more than 20 seconds, and it is indeed quite hard. Still, if he had done something slower but brought out a new idea every 20 seconds or so, I'd say he was excellent. But he rarely does bring out anything worth shitting yourself over, and bass-wankery without new ideas is kinda silly - just play it on guitar then. Even Billy Sheehan says that. (anyone catch him with Vai?)