Lepond at his best...

coolsnow7 said:
Miller was definetly technically better. Though the only stuff I have of Lepond is The Oddyssey, there's nothing there that's really impressive at all.

How can you say that one is definitely better than the other while following that up with a sentence saying that you're not familiar with everything from the two being compared? I suggest you look up "definitely" in the dictionary sometime. Perhaps then you'll learn to spell it correctly. :Spin:

For the record, I prefer Miller as well, but that was a horrible attempt at justifying your position.

coolsnow7 said:
Hah, yeah I did try doing it for more than 20 seconds, and it is indeed quite hard. Still, if he had done something slower but brought out a new idea every 20 seconds or so, I'd say he was excellent. But he rarely does bring out anything worth shitting yourself over, and bass-wankery without new ideas is kinda silly - just play it on guitar then. Even Billy Sheehan says that. (anyone catch him with Vai?)

Ever heard the term "ostinato?"

He rarely does anything worth shitting yourself over? I'm glad you can make that assessment after hearing just one album that Lepond has played on.

I think you took the Sheehan quote out of context. I didn't see where it came from, so I could be wrong, but it seems to me that "new ideas" was meant new musical ideas in general, not in any one specific passage. It doesn't mean have a completely new set of notes every measure...it means do something original and worthwhile...don't rehash what others have done or become a "clone" of another musician.

In terms of technical skill, Lepond is at least on par with Miller, I think. Most songs on TO feature the same guitar-doubling unisono tapping runs that make most SX songs close to unplayable on bass, and if you take a lot at (for example) the "Sea Of Lies" intro on the live album, Lepond nails it more cleanly than Tom.

Liquid Shadow said:
How can you say that one is definitely better than the other while following that up with a sentence saying that you're not familiar with everything from the two being compared? I suggest you look up "definitely" in the dictionary sometime. Perhaps then you'll learn to spell it correctly. :Spin:

For the record, I prefer Miller as well, but that was a horrible attempt at justifying your position.

Ever heard the term "ostinato?"

He rarely does anything worth shitting yourself over? I'm glad you can make that assessment after hearing just one album that Lepond has played on.

I think you took the Sheehan quote out of context. I didn't see where it came from, so I could be wrong, but it seems to me that "new ideas" was meant new musical ideas in general, not in any one specific passage. It doesn't mean have a completely new set of notes every measure...it means do something original and worthwhile...don't rehash what others have done or become a "clone" of another musician.

Incidentally, I haven't heard the term ostinato. And was it really really really necessary to tear apart my badly expressed opinion when you indeed agree with me? Obviously next to no thought went into typing it, and it came out badly. And I'm not suggesting that he should have a completely new set of notes each measure, particularly in Egypt where he's backing up a solo, but at least once in a while right? Instead of doubling the guitar all the time he could put something into the music, like Miller did. That was my point, and chances are you could have figured that out from that interesting collection of sentences you so carefully ripped to shreds.