Les Paul pick ups advice needed

Boerboel666

Apr 17, 2010
I just picked up a PRS SE Bernie Marsden Les Paul copy , it's a pretty vintage style guitar and sounds good but I think some better pups will get me where I want to be . I would like to retain the classic old school vibe of the guitar so no EMG etc any suggestions would be welcome .

Duncan JB/59 is always a pretty safe bet. Pearly Gates are pretty cool, as is the Custom Custom and Alnico II, depending on what kind of sound you're going for.

^^^ +1

Go Seymour. Hot Rodded Humbucker set ftw.

Having said that a lot of people rate the tone of the PRS SE neck p/up in that guitar, so perhaps just swap the bridge for a JB.

I just moved from Bareknuckle Nailbombs to Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB + SH-2n. Lot more clarity than the BKP's, and I'm really digging them! Bearing in mind I don't really go for an all out and out metal tone, so it may not be what you're looking for.

I just moved from Bareknuckle Nailbombs to Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB + SH-2n. Lot more clarity than the BKP's, and I'm really digging them! Bearing in mind I don't really go for an all out and out metal tone, so it may not be what you're looking for.

What kind of guitar were your BKPs in?

I've had Nailbombs in a few guitars and really disliked them, but in my Jackson SL2H, they're the clearest pickups I've ever heard in my life.

Trying to stay in the traditional les Paul ball park sound wise so the hotter pups may be too much .

I would suggest Bareknuckle Riff Raff...
Low output but very tight...
Can play ANYTHING from ACDC to Iced earth(jon's favorite with the BK blak bog)

What kind of guitar were your BKPs in?

I've had Nailbombs in a few guitars and really disliked them, but in my Jackson SL2H, they're the clearest pickups I've ever heard in my life.

Mahogany body. Orville by Gibson, '91 Les Paul Custom. The thing weighs 11lbs, and was quite a bassy sounding guitar before.

If Seymour Duncans; 59/59, or Pearly Gates
If Bare Knuckle; Black Dogs, VHII, Riff Raff, Emeralds, or Mules

Sounds like you want a vintage hot type. The Black Dogs are pretty bad ass. But I like both Duncans and Bare Knuckles. I use both brands.