Les Paul pickups

xTomx

Oct 29, 2009
Milton Keynes
So last year I replaced the stock Classic 57 and 57+ pickups in my Gibson LP traditional because I wanted something a bit hotter.

I put in a 496r and 500t and hate 'em. They're high output but just sound like cloudy, unclear crap with no attack. What would you guys recommend?
I play hardcore and alternative rock stuff - lots of jazz chords and palm muted stuff.

Ideally looking for something with clarity, not so fussed about high output anymore.

This is relevant to my interests. I have an LP Classic with the 496/500 and I'm also looking for something similar to yourself.

I have burstbucker pros in my LP standard and it sounds exactly like a les paul should sound.
My eclipse custom has Duncan 59s in it which also sound amazing.

I'll definitely look into the pickups everyone's posted, I'm leaning towards the 498t if anybody has had experience with one?

FWIW, I've had the 498T/490R and found them to be waaaaaaaaaay too generic-sounding. Also kinda noisy and feedbacky. Quite honestly, I don't tend to like traditional PAF-style pickups. I didn't like the DiMarzio PAF 36th Anni nor the Duncan '59 because I find them all a bit too unaggressive and too smooth.

I'd look into the Duncan Distortion if I were you. :)

Do you still have the 57s? If you didn't try them with 500k pots that would be my first port of call before buying any new sets of pickups. I find 500k pots open up the pickups a bit better than the standard 300k pots.

As for Les Paul Bridge pickups, I like the BB3, 57+, and Duncan 59. The Gibson pickups have a bit more of a gritty midrange to me with the Duncan being smoother. I personally don't like high output pickups on my own hard tail instruments.

Think I'm risk the 498t, other dudes playing similar genre to mine seem pretty content with it.
Output really isn't an issue as it'll get boosted by a Fulltone OCD, comp and then twice on my head.