Les Paul Studio pups

cloy26

d00d
Jul 17, 2009
Port St. Lucie, FL
www.myspace.com
how good are they? I mean, its obviously a subjective question, but, I really have been thinking about putting in maybe EMGs or maybe evos... But, someone told me to not switch out pickups on a more high end guitar... I thought it was pretty ridiuclous, but yah. I am worried, though, if I switch out to say 81/85, it won't sound good for jazz or any other music I might play. That being said, this is my main guitar and will be used primarily in drop c and in my metal band. :kickass:

how good are they? I mean, its obviously a subjective question, but, I really have been thinking about putting in maybe EMGs or maybe evos... But, someone told me to not switch out pickups on a more high end guitar... I thought it was pretty ridiuclous, but yah. I am worried, though, if I switch out to say 81/85, it won't sound good for jazz or any other music I might play. That being said, this is my main guitar and will be used primarily in drop c and in my metal band. :kickass:

If you aren't dissatisfied with the current pups, don't change them.

I am worried, though, if I switch out to say 81/85, it won't sound good for jazz or any other music I might play. That being said, this is my main guitar and will be used primarily in drop c and in my metal band. :kickass:

Do put EMGs:kickass:

You cant go wrong with those.Stock studio pups arent that good to my ears.I generally find the studio a bit midi and muddy with the stock ones.If ya want mainly metal do it.

Or you can put nailbombs and stay passive,get more gain/low end/balls to your tone and still keep the clarity(and they can do jazz too:p).
They cost more though.:erk:

The Studio has Burstbuckers, hasn't it?

The Gibson stock PUs aren't bad, but for certain things not too great either, just because their standard pickups (the ceramics) are allrounders which can basically pull off anything from jazz to metal. Burstbuckers are less suited for metal because they're more like a P.A.F. But they do have decent high-gain pickups, the Dirty Fingers.

The Studio has Burstbuckers, hasn't it?

The Gibson stock PUs aren't bad, but for certain things not too great either, just because their standard pickups (the ceramics) are allrounders which can basically pull off anything from jazz to metal. Burstbuckers are less suited for metal because they're more like a P.A.F. But they do have decent high-gain pickups, the Dirty Fingers.

The LP Studio ships stock with 490/498 pickups; the only Les Paul that comes with ceramic pickups is the LP Classic, which comes with the 496/500T combination.

I really like the 500T ceramic pickup; it's amazing for powerful guitar tones but good for cleans too. It's high output but more musical sounding than the EMG 81/85 (though a bit noisier).

I wouldn't worry about anyone that says "OH MAN DON'T SWITCH COS YOUR GEETAR IS EXPENSIVE".
If you feel you want to mod a guitar to your liking, do so, it's not like it's a rare guitar.
Mahogany/Maple top IIRC?
EMGs will rock the fuck out in that body wood combo.

personally i'd throw in a pair of high output passives instead of emg's - emg's are great pickups etc and i own a set myself in my jackson but i find theres nothing like an organic passive tone. i find emg's to be very sterile in there warmth - again though very nice pickups - good for some stuff. when im playing machine head styled stuff i use my emg's but when i want a warm tone i always swap to my gibson with my smoky high output pickups

personally i'd throw in a pair of high output passives instead of emg's - emg's are great pickups etc and i own a set myself in my jackson but i find theres nothing like an organic passive tone. i find emg's to be very sterile in there warmth - again though very nice pickups - good for some stuff. when im playing machine head styled stuff i use my emg's but when i want a warm tone i always swap to my gibson with my smoky high output pickups

Urgh, I hate this "EMGs = sterile" mentality.
Considering how much warmth comes primarily from the amp anyway, I don't really see how a pickup can be more or less "organic".
Fucking stupid buzzword that doesn't even make much sense anyway.
EMGs sound plenty warm and organic when paired with the right tools.

The LP Studio ships stock with 490/498 pickups; the only Les Paul that comes with ceramic pickups is the LP Classic, which comes with the 496/500T combination.

I really like the 500T ceramic pickup; it's amazing for powerful guitar tones but good for cleans too. It's high output but more musical sounding than the EMG 81/85 (though a bit noisier).

I've mixed up ceramics and Alnicos for some reason. :loco:

EVOs? I loved the one I had in my jackson... Or should I really look elsewhere if i decide on the passive route?