Let´s talk about Reatune on vocals

narcossintese

Nov 4, 2008
Brazil
www.myspace.com
What´s your experience with it? How do you use it? Which algorithm/parameter?

Do you think it is safe to use it on the entire vocal track on automatic, and only use the manual correction on weird stuff that comes up?

This thing has no good manual/tutorial. Anyone fancy a short shootout between Reatune and Melodyne?

I think it's pretty good, for a free plugin anyway. I use the manual mode on some bad notes on vocs

I guess I will try it myself. Melodyne is cool but too expensive and a bit buggy. I hate how Reatune doesn´t have a decent manual. I have no clue of which algorithm/parameter to choose, and the difference between all of them.

I've fucked around with Reatune a couple of times but I felt more stupid after than I did before trying it. The manual mode sometimes did something, but I wasn't sure what the fuck was going on :) If anyone knows how to get something usable out of this plug, PLEASE write a tutorial!

Meanwhile... I'm actually thinking about investing in something like Autotune or Melodyne because I really need a tool for pitch correction now that I've got vocals coming in on my songs, and in the future I'm thinking of learning singing and screaming myself so it sure will come in handy then too :)

Well I know you're not in the USA but Auto Tune is going for a hundred bucks cheaper than Melodyne here, though I'm holding out for Melodyne, likely will get that this weekend. Sometimes I wish I just didnt have to mess with vocals at all, they're such a finicky bitch to get right compared to other things, not even considering the pitch.

The correction is kind of useless because you can't specify the retune speed, which it had a few more parameters, I'd love to be able to use it.

of course you can :rofl:
"attack time", default to 250 ms

using elastique pro here, with the "keep formants for most pitches" or something... works really well, surely not a tad worse than autotune, plus it's free...

I don't see where reatune is complicated to use ? I actually think it's the easiest one (in the manual mode at least).

When it plays, you see you track pitch drawn on the chronologic timeline.

Where you want correction to be effective, draw a line at the correct pitch (the note it should be).

Set some parameters.

done !

of course you can :rofl:
"attack time", default to 250 ms

using elastique pro here, with the "keep formants for most pitches" or something... works really well, surely not a tad worse than autotune, plus it's free...

No attack time setting in manual mode, unless the attack time from the Correction page applies to both modes. Even so, there is not much control compared to something like Autotune or Melodyne. You should be able to set the desired pitch center and how quickly it retunes that pitch to perfectly flat with zero vibrato. It's definitely a cool plugin for free I guess, but I have never found it to be usable for anything I've ever tried it on.

No attack time setting in manual mode, unless the attack time from the Correction page applies to both modes. Even so, there is not much control compared to something like Autotune or Melodyne. You should be able to set the desired pitch center and how quickly it retunes that pitch to perfectly flat with zero vibrato. It's definitely a cool plugin for free I guess, but I have never found it to be usable for anything I've ever tried it on.

I'm pretty sure attack time applies to manual mode as well, can't check right now... The only thing reatune lacks in comparison to autotune from what I remember is that vibrato enhanceing setting (but that sounded like ass anyways whenever I tried it :D)

check out gsnap...i think that's what it's called. basically a freeware autotune from the g series of plugins. works pretty well! i like it better than reatune for sure.