Lethe intro?

I haven't seen an official reply to this (perhaps in the FAQ...), but someone on this forum said a while back that it is indeed played with a bass. My ear is incabable of hearing whether this is true, so I can't really tell. But until someone from the band confirms it, we have to go along with mere speculation.

-Villain

Yeah, makes sense to me, although I would possibly suspect it's a six-string bass _and_ it's processed with guitar effects or at least some weird graphic preamp with maximum treble. I wouldn't be able to produce that sound with my miserable four strings and no effects at all.

yep its bass, Martin plays it on the World Domination Concert :D not sure bout details tho...

edit: getting names mixed up for some reason :D

It's definitely bass that's played with a pick on the higher registers of the neck. The pick gives it the trebly sound. I don't think any effects were used (probably compression on the recording). Actually I wouldn't be surprised if he used some reverb and delay on there as well. I haven't heard a live version so I don't know if he uses any effects on it then. But the basic tone is easily reproducable without any effects.

@aborted: so you think a pick is enough? i'll try now and see if i am completely inept :)

I think he uses more then a pick , but u never know , maybe just some down tunning made the strings song like they do. Iam puzzled , but iam a Drummer :) hahaha

Originally posted by hyena
@aborted: so you think a pick is enough? i'll try now and see if i am completely inept :)

Well you also have to take into account his bass, technique, amp, etc etc. But yes, I believe playing with a pick near the bridge should give you a good start. You'd probably need to fine tune your amp's settings to replicate his exact sound, but I personally see no point or reason in trying to be a carbon copy.