Let's all take a moment and appreciate a really good song that ain't metal

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Any Rush song ever
Any Pink Floyd Song ever
Frank Zappa's stuff
Any Yes song ever

There.

Oh, and Kansas - Carry On My Wayward Sun is better imo.

dont forget zeppelin, jethro tull, gentle giant, sabbath, and especially deep purple. and kansas has way more great songs than just that one. it's overplayed, i hear it on the classic rock station nearly everyday.

Montu Sekhmet said:
dont forget zeppelin, jethro tull, gentle giant, sabbath, and especially deep purple. and kansas has way more great songs than just that one. it's overplayed, i hear it on the classic rock station nearly everyday.
Zeppelin and Black Sabbath are okay, but I don't really like them that much. I should have put Jethro Tull and Deep Purple on there too though. :erk: I wasn't really thinking hard when I made that post. And don't kill me because I've never heard of Gentle Giant!

As for Kansas, I know they have plenty of good songs, I just wanted to be as contradictory to Ursut as possible. ;)

Montu Sekhmet said:
What about Camel, Genesis, Marillion, Pendragon, IQ, Atomic Rooster, Van der Graaf Generator, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, etc? :D:headbang:

Androz said:
What about Camel, Genesis, Marillion, Pendragon, IQ, Atomic Rooster, Van der Graaf Generator, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, etc? :D:headbang:

well, genisis was good until phil collins started singing. as for the rest of that, I have no idea who any of it is.

tubbs, buy a gentle giant cd. my favorite is 'aquireing the taste', because you actually have to listen for a while before likeing it. most yes fans appreciate it though.

Or any rap song that talks about Crunk Juice and bitches.

Oh yeah, and don't forget "OKAYYY!!!!"

Bryant,
I remember Brother Cane, they were awesome! I loved their albums "Seeds" and "Wishpool." Great stuff.

I love Crash Test Dummies because they were just so different, and that album was so quirky and whimsical.

Other non-metal stuff I like: The Cranberries, Counting Crows, Bjork (a 90's theme going here, I see). But one of my favorites is U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name." Incredible song.

Montu Sekhmet said:
well, genisis was good until phil collins started singing. as for the rest of that, I have no idea who any of it is.
I thought I didn't have to say that I was talking about Gabriel-era Genesis:D
As for the other bands, check them out if you have time, they are all worth at least one listen:kickass:

Ah, Brother Cane. "And Fools Shine On" was a great tune. What was that, 1995? I was at my first job after graduating - a telecommunications consulting firm in the Texas panhandle. Now those were the days. Late nights at the blues halls (Stubbs BBQ, The Spoon) and the summer nights at the Beer Garden listening to some great music.

greenaxer said:
Bryant,
I remember Brother Cane, they were awesome! I loved their albums "Seeds" and "Wishpool." Great stuff.

Other non-metal stuff I like: The Cranberries, Counting Crows, Bjork (a 90's theme going here, I see). But one of my favorites is U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name." Incredible song.

Cool to see another BC fan here. I always like Counting Crows too. My brother and I used to do an acoustic version of Mr. Jones.

ABQShredHead wrote: (sorry for the bad quote)

Ah, Brother Cane. "And Fools Shine On" was a great tune. What was that, 1995? I was at my first job after graduating - a telecommunications consulting firm in the Texas panhandle. Now those were the days. Late nights at the blues halls (Stubbs BBQ, The Spoon) and the summer nights at the Beer Garden listening to some great music.

ShreadHead, you should purchase "Seeds." "wishpool" is also very good as well, but has a little bit of the Seattle style in it. "Seeds" really had an oddball vibe to it, I haven't heard anywhere else. It had a little Southern Rock, a little late 60's psychedelic rock, a little hard rock and a lot of in your face rock and roll comprising it.

Bryant

Bryant said:
ShreadHead, you should purchase "Seeds." "wishpool" is also very good as well, but has a little bit of the Seattle style in it. "Seeds" really had an oddball vibe to it, I haven't heard anywhere else. It had a little Southern Rock, a little late 60's psychedelic rock, a little hard rock and a lot of in your face rock and roll comprising it.
Bryant

Sweet. I'll check it out.

Just spinning it right now, "Dreams of Glory" by Bjorn Lynne, off his new album. Piano melodies remind me of Liquid Tension Experiment in their more melodic moments. Would be a great stepping-stone album for any prog fan who wants to expand into electronic music.