Does anyone have a particular SX song that has a special meaning in their life?

RediscoveryoftheAccolade

New Metal Member
Jan 26, 2004
I'm curious if any of you have a particular song that you listen to that reminds you of some particular event in your life, or perhaps a song that you were listening to during a period of your life when major things were happening. So, anytime you hear it, it brings you back to that period of your life. I dont necessarily mean in the lyrical sense from the song, just the song itself. For example, a few years back I had met the most amazing girl in my life (unfortunately, we are no longer together) :erk: But, this was (literally) a week after I had purchased Divine Wings and heard the Accolade for the first time, becoming of my favorite SX songs (as well as one of my favorite songs of all time) So, anytime I hear the first Accolade, I was always think back to that period of my life where I was with a person who had made a signfigant impact in my life. Such as life, things happen and people change, however, anytime I want to think back to that period, I'll just toss on that song and for 9 min & 51 seconds, it puts me back there.

Anyone else got any stories to share?

There are a lot of bands that bring back some memories, including Symphony X. It's funny because I was listening to Damnation Game today and when A Winters Dream Pt1 and 2 came on, it reminded me of sometimes when I would be driving home from a concert at like 3 am or something, and I always brought SymX to keep me awake, but that would be the last song I would hear as I drove down this rural like road that I take to get home from the highway. Also, the entire V album reminds me of another situation of driving home late at night, as it was the album I always brought to listen to (I brought TDG once in a while). Singing along with Russell is the best way to prevent falling asleep at the wheel :)

Through the Looking Glass. In my acting class, the assignment was to write a play using only media lyrics/dialogue as the lines in the play. Almost all of it was Through the Looking Glass and A Winter's Dream. It was about a dream with 2 influences trying to take control over the girl. Came in at about 15 minutes and got the highest grade in the class ;) w00t!

-Kronikle

Yes.

Awakenings is a song I listen to a lot when I have a problem (women, school, work, whatever). It tells me that I need to walk my own path and follow my own instincts.

The Divine Wings of Tragedy (to me) is about the cycle of life (not unlike A Change of Seasons).

Communion and the Oracle reminds me of this one girl I've been trying to go out with forever.

There's more, but I forget now...

The Odyssey makes me think about my dreams as a songwriter and how my goal is to one day write some epic that can almost compare to it. A few songs of V like evolution, communion, and egypt remind me of my discovery of the greatest band ever seeing as how V was the first album I got. Some other songs like, the edge of forever, the accolade, and accolade II to name a few don't so much remind me of anything as much as they enchant me or something. Maybe mesmerize is the right word? I dunno, maybe you know...

Ciarrai said:
I definetly can relate to Awakenings. You know, reaching a point in life where you need to make some important decisions and not knowing which ones to make. :erk:
Awakenings for me too, and for the same reason as described above. I also understand the post above mine about songs like Edge of Forever and Accolade II having this "enchanting" sound to them. They really just sound so beautiful that it is like they come from spirits or some greater being....ah I dunno? Another song is "The Divne Wings of Tragedy". Even though I am not absolutely sure as to what the guys meant this song to be about, to me it is about the apocalypse. To me it is about the beautiful and kind Angel with the task of bringing about this apocalypse. Even though she is a higher being and may even love all the people on earth she has to carry out the deed of destroying humanity because of the things they have created such as hate, anger, wars, technology, false religion........you think of others. Faith in humanity has been lost and after she does the deed the planet is ready to start anew in hopes of a better humanity while the souls of the fallen humanity are cleansed and brought to a better place without this suffering they had created. I like Church of the Machine due to the fact that it is a perfect description on how I view most of religion in the world in general as well. That is a lot of meaningful songs to me...Symphony X are just geniuses!

Awakenings for me as well. Also, accolade & fallen bring back memories of mudding.

I'd say that I connect with The Accolade and Communion And The Oracle more than any other Symphony X songs. Anyone that knows me knows that I have a very strong connection to the middle-ages making these songs very special to me. When I listen to them I generally think of Nature, art and the many myths that have been associated with that time. Grant it, the myths are simply my mind's interpetation of them but the music and lyrics of those songs mean a great deal to me.