Has SX hit their creative peak?

Actually, I was basing my opinion on the PL and Odyssey. Other than the title track, that album (for me) was a huge disappointment. The title track, though, that was incredible - one the best songs they've ever written (again, my opinion).

I think people are getting confused between creativity and awesomeness. You could paint portraits like Mona Lisa for the rest of your life and you'd have a great successful career, however that isn't the least bit creative. Now think about Dobell's portrait of Joshua Smith. With respect to Mona Lisa that is an incredibly bold and creative move to make. But what if all of your other portraits were in that vein too? Well that certainly isn't creative with respect to your previous work.

Symphony X were extremely creative and progressive with respect to what had been done before musically. These days I wouldn't call them progressive at all since PL was aimed at getting back to their roots. The creative thing to do would be to forget about their roots and do something different. Doing that is possibly the hardest thing to keep up long term though.

These days I wouldn't call them progressive at all since PL was aimed at getting back to their roots. The creative thing to do would be to forget about their roots and do something different. Doing that is possibly the hardest thing to keep up long term though.

I thought PL was aimed at getting a bigger fan base by catering the mainstream. At least so I was told, by band representatives.

Actually, I was basing my opinion on the PL and Odyssey. Other than the title track, that album (for me) was a huge disappointment. The title track, though, that was incredible - one the best songs they've ever written (again, my opinion).

Do some people constantly have to remind that it's their opinion they are stating. I mean, anyone with any sense of logic will understand that it is the poster's opinion unless he/she is quoting someone else...

But yeah, I was also wondering how the whole album apart from the title track can be just a "huge disappointment" considering that many songs contain similiar song writing to the title track.

I don't think they've come even close, they just choose to stick to a certain style. Thats not a creative peak, at the moment they have no intention on doing an other concept album a-la V because Romeo himself says "it just takes to much fucking time" and after being on break for 5 years I'm sure that's not the path they want to take. Either or, everything Symphony X has done is in a league of its own, you can only compare it to its own. Which is still far above the rest, symphony x doesn't know the meaning of creative peak, after all they taught chuck norris the round house kick!

EDIT: Also to be noted, they found it much easier to tour with Paradise Lost (easy transition from album to live) where as some of there older stuff required some, or alot of rearranging. And to be fair, The Odyssey and Paradise Lost as albums are crowd favorites at live shows. I love the epic stuff, and its awesome live, but its not the same type of energetic performance. If I wanted to be bored to death watching them wank away on there guitars id go see Dream Theater. Actually thats a lie, Symphony X is never boring, but i digress!

I thought PL was aimed at getting a bigger fan base by catering the mainstream. At least so I was told, by band representatives.

I'll never forget the day a friend told me "You like Helloween, right?"

"...Yeah, why?"

"I saw a shirt of theirs at Hot Topic and it reminded me of you."

"..."

It happens.

...It happens. :erk:

I see creativity fueled by motivation and inspiration. I'm sure the group will continue to find inspiration. All you really need here is a good book to read or a new life experience. On the other hand, the motivation aspect is typically the sticker for most. What motivates each individual is always different. Do all members of the group continue forward with similar motivations that have moved them in the past, or have motivations changed?

I dont think so.... I mean.. listen to Damnation Game then check out Paradise Lost after that. See the many similarities? Less proggy, more metaly; while the other albums were more proggy with less metaly. :headbang:

I suck at singing lower tones - I'm pretty decent at higher pitched vocals. Not TOO high... I have more of a Gildenlow voice (his mid-range area), though nowhere near as good as him, since he's a vocal god... especially when it comes to range.

As far as MIDIs go, I did start transcribing PL at your request, Detective, but I got massively side-tracked after getting the first 40 seconds done (all instruments). I got back into writing my piece, and it is now on the edge of completion at 33:19 in length :)

It's funny. I've been writing it on and off for the last 2 years... and I've noticed that the second half is far better. It goes to show that this piece has really improved my composition skills. When I finish it up, I may send it to people/post it for others to listen.

V for me culminated what the band was "all" about in one album. Being an older fan , having bought the first album within the first year it was released I honestly dont like Paradise Lost or Odyssey much at all. I wont dent they both have hints of brilliance.. but overall not what I look for in an album any more. I find they have gotten away from what made them a different or unique band.. and have sort of blended in with standard metal acts. Im sure its paid off financially.. I just miss the freshness of the older stuff.