special life moments and Symphony X

greenaxer

Knight of the Templar
Apr 28, 2005
A city in the sun
www.public.asu.edu
This is something that's always cool for me to think about, when you associate a special, particular moment or time in your life with music you really love (i.e. the "life's soundtrack"). What are some moments you all have had with the band's songs?

One of mine was when I finished my undergrad college work and went on quite a few trips. I had gone to Orlando and Cali, and was now on board to go to New York City and then Europe. I was on the plane, looking out the window into the clouds and listening to The Odyssey (song). The excitement and thought of all the adventure that awaited me, coupled with the epic nature of the song (especially the intro), just heightened the experience to unbelievable levels! Looking out at the sky from that position with the song going was just surreal. It just goes to show that when you listen to a great song at the best moment, you're aware of the awesome power small moments in life can bring. :D

Yeah, like this one time in physics class we were talking about wormholes and time travel. I thought about traveling back in time, to Mozart days, to become a musical composer and write the piano part for Awakenings. I had been listening to Awakenings earlier and thought that would have been cool to do.

the entire Live on the Edge of Forever album reminds me of my post university/pre college europe trip. i had that in my mp3 player all the time. it put me to sleep many a night when the obligatory hostel-room snorer would keep everyone else up.

During my radio show in college I always used to to sing and pretend I had a sword in my hand, brandishing my fist to "Rise my minions..." from Egypt. The girl I went out on a couple dates with was there and looked at me kind of weird. We didn't go on any more dates.

woah, i had a prog metal radio show in college, and i would do the same thing! except, my girlfriend thought it was funny/cool...which is why we're still together..."guests" on the show thought it was weird.

I went home by train one night after having suffered a very traumatc experience. I was listening to the S/T album almost constantly during the 6 hour journey.

The musicianship makes up for Rod's voice IMO. Also, I only listen to the self titled when I'm in my basement, because I love singing along with it and saying to myself "Wow. I'm a better singer than the singer from Symphony X." Then I remember that saying that refers also to Russ, and then I feel stupid. But Rod helps my self esteem.

While I was together with a now Ex-girlfriend a few years back, I used to drive to where she lived almost every weekend. It was a drive of about an hour and once I found out that when I started to play V when I entered the freeway, it would play almost exactly until I left the freeway again, it became sort of like a soundtrack to that journey and I began connecting the passing of certain landmarks with certain parts of the music.

It made even the drive feel like home and you can imagine that I always had a good time driving there. I still remember some of the sights and to what part of which song it was connected ;)

But listening to the album without driving is just as good, still!!!
It just doesn't get old :headbang:

I get lots of those types of moments, more often with Rush songs but SX is still a very big part of my life. Like when I play PC games I always listen to a certain album depending on the game so when I play the game at a friend's house I always expect SX to be playing in the background. Leaving me dissapointed, I don't enjoy games as much without music playing... Age of Empires III cannot be played without Rush - 2112 album playing :D Kinda like I can't play Metroid without The Divine Wings of Tragedy cranked up.. I relate music to video games and vice versa.