Swan Song -Accolade III?

BlackTron

Jan 28, 2006
After many listens, I sort of convinced myself that Swan Song is the next Accolade. The song kicks off at 0:03-0:06 with a move very reminiscent of the Accolade (see 2:19) which seems similar to Accolade II around 1:53 (though there it does its own thing with it and is more notes.) However I found it thematically consistent although a small touch, especially because I loved that moment in particular in the first song.

Swan Song takes a break around 3:00 which is somewhat like Accolade II's move at 4:00. Three keyboard notes at 3:25 -again lifted right from Accolade.

Accolade's lyrics were about a Templar who gives his life at the end. I always interpreted the more aggressive Accolade II as being about his son, out to avenge his death. "And he swore up to the sky- you will not have died in vain!" It was easy to reconcile this with Swan Song's lyrics -perhaps he found victory and is now older as a new, final purpose approaches. "I'd do anything for you/but now you're gone/and my swansong echoes on"

I'm not saying the band intended all this of course, but this is how my mind pieced it all together -I'm convinced Swan Song is the next entry in the Accolade saga :loco:

It is possible? Romeo says some of the songs reminsce other albums.

For Example: Beginning of the "Nevermore" solo has the same the ending line in "Serpent's Kiss" solo.
Just as in "Legend" one of the "runs" is the exact same as in "Iconoclast."

So there are hints all over the record. I imagine some of these "easter eggs" will come to light sooner or later by the band.

Thanks! I thought it was just my imagination. It reminds me of the accolade too!

It is possible? Romeo says some of the songs reminsce other albums.

For Example: Beginning of the "Nevermore" solo has the same the ending line in "Serpent's Kiss" solo.
Just as in "Legend" one of the "runs" is the exact same as in "Iconoclast."

So there are hints all over the record. I imagine some of these "easter eggs" will come to light sooner or later by the band.

Yes! That's right! And it is really entertaining for the all time fans to find them :)

SWAN SONG is certainly the "Accolade" of Underworld. A beautiful, brilliant song. One of my favorites from the new album.
I also really love CHARON. That song is haunting and ethereal. Parts of it remind me of EGYPT, which is another one of my favorite Symphony X songs.
Romeo recently said in an interview: there is something on the new album for everyone.
He was absolutely right. There is enough "classic Symphony X" touches on Underworld to keep the long-time fans such as myself happy, and some newer
style stuff to keep the power-metal fans happy too.
Iconoclast for me was a total power-metal album with a little "prog metal" elements thrown-in for good measure.
Underworld reminds me more of Paradise Lost than Iconoclast. Underworld is a diverse collection of different songs that stand alone on their own,
but this album really works when you sit down and listen to it all the way through from start to finish.
It takes you on a grand musical journey.

The verses in Accolade and Swan Song actually have very similar chord progression (I think it's VI - VII - I progression. Not sure, I'm not very good in music theory :) )