Symbolic Symphony X

proulxski

Welcome To Kanata Eh!
I'm sure every Symphony X fan has already heard wicked things in their music that sometimes don't pop out the first time around. Feel free to share your findings... I have a few that are probably some of the more obvious ones.

#1: 'Divine Wings of Tragedy' "Looking up to the 'heavens' " - Notice how high Russell Allen takes those notes, takes them right up to heaven. I love that part!

#2: 'The Accolade' "An angels voice 'cries' out to him" - Right when Allen says CRIES Romeo lets out some awsome guitar cries...Also a favorite part!

#3: 'The Odyssey' "Revenge 'burns' in my heart" - When Allen says 'burns' he does it in this rhaspy sorta voice that sounds like his voice is burning, my buddy actually showed me that one, so cool!

#4: 'The Odyssey' "I Miss the rolling hills of ithaca..ouuuhh" - Allen lets out a sad sigh... so sweet

#5: 'The Odyssey' - Part VI;Scylla & Charybdis a)gulf of doom & b)Drifting Home - 16:44; the storm starts up... 18:59; storm farther away. final drops of water. 19:20; keys = the sun comming up/seeing land (b)drifting home)-This is personaly my favorite part of the song, I find it so sweet!

#6: 'The Turning' - "Lurking out of sight, Night Shall fall and feed my frenzy, beneath an errie moon a change comes over me" Does it in his regular voice. "Savage on a prowl, in the lamplights glow-nocturnal,my breath hangs like ghosts in the evening air" Does it in the beast like voice. "This ill effect" =good "-A vile creation"= bad "Of my Design"= good "-Abomination"= bad "The madness rages" =good "on and on..."= good and bad...-I love this song, Jackle and Hyde anyone?

#7: 'King of Terrors' - the guitars sounding alot like a heart beat ;) (although mostly everyone knew this the first time they heard the song)

#8: 'Pharoah' -In the chorus "Pharaohs curse upon you" sounds like a spell is being casted. "Mystic Gods of the stars" 2:07.. Sound like the spell has been casted and everything is all mystified or some shit.

I'm sure their is plenty more, their is a shitload of re-occuring tunes in V (making it one of the best Conceptiual albums ever) Probably only hardcore fans and superb musicians have noticed a few of them...Cuz I never did untill a buddy of mine pointed them out!

So other than sharring your findings-I have another question, The Accolade and the Accolade II, other than being a continued story, is their any musical re-occurences/likenesses???? (if thats even a word lol) I'm sure their is I just have yet to notice any major ones.

Since I've listened to V: The New Mythology Suite every day for the past 2, maybe 3 years, I've noticed a lot of stuff so here's my stab at it.

On #1. Prelude, from 00:03 to 00:09 is the same note pattern, with a slight changes in their scale, key and duration as the segue at the end of #2. Evolution (The Grand Design), specifically at 04:55 until the end. This also applies to the first 9 notes of #4. Transcendence, and on #13. Rediscovery (Part II) The New Mythology for the vocal patterns of the lines "Five beyond the skies align, Zeus to Ra the final sign" at 06:45. Don't believe me? Try humming it and use comparative thinking.

Also, the opening for #.9 Death Of Balance, can also be subliminally heard under #6. The Bird Serpent War/Cataclysm at 01:19 where the vocals are "Gather round chosen people of the Grand Design, Scorn the prophet's words, the device of our demise", yet now it's played on piano and at a slightly slower tempo. Tune your ears to it and you will find it.

Also, after several attempts of trying to get people to hear the next one, they do. At 04:24 on #3. Fallen, there is a dragged out swell of a single note underneath the solo. It's pretty subliminal, but if you really pay attention you will notice it. It seems to be almost a really low oboe sound, I can't distinguish it though.

Well, not bad for my first post. I'm sure there's plenty I'm leaving out, just for this one particular album but I may think of them at a later time. Until then, Later.

The last part of "THE ODYSSEY", there's a short song (verse, chorus, solo) and during the chorus, there is a cool guitar powerchord progression! I noticed that really late.

OK, I've got a GREAT one for you all. This one isn't limited to just one album, but three.

It helps to put the three sequentially in a playlist:
Premonition
Candlelight Fantasia
The Odyssey

Put on first, Premonition, listen from 01:28 to 1:41
Now put on Candlelight Fantasia, listen from 02:25 to 2:40
Then put on The Odyssey, listen from 20:48 to 21:03

Let me know your results. :):):) Note that the songs from each album are almost 4 years apart from each other, perhaps they did this on purpose?

Yeah, it's the same delay effect on guitar. I've noticed it between CF and The Odyssey but haven't heard Premonition yet.

At Fallen 4:24 I can hear it. Kind of same theme like the rest of the horn melodies in the album.

proulxski said:
So other than sharring your findings-I have another question, The Accolade and the Accolade II, other than being a continued story, is their any musical re-occurences/likenesses???? (if thats even a word lol) I'm sure their is I just have yet to notice any major ones.

There's "A heart of gold pumps within his metal skin, a noble line he carries on" (duh)

The keys in Accolade I around 1:40 match the ending in Accolade II.

Okay. This one may be pretty obvious, but I found a few. On Twilight, I found 2 parts from the self titled album pretty much recycled and reused. The main riff in Raging Seasons was sped up and used as the In the Dragons Den. The first line of the first verse of Raging Seasons also became the first line of the second verse of Orion the Hunter. Thats all I found so far, but I think there may be more.

So, MJR said Wicked was about an unlucky person in unlucky place at unlucky time and therefore the main riff is in 13/4.

V is about "the five" so they it's obvious that there's quite a lot 5/4-measures here and there. But on the other hand there many other time signatures so my theory is crap.

The first bridge section in Evolution goes something like this: first measure in 6/4, second in 7/4 and the last two 8/4.

At 3:17 in A Fool's Paradise, Russel does this awesome solo scream type of thing while Romeo finishes up his guitar solo and Pinella enters. Just noticed that recently and I find it to be extremely cool.

ptah knemu said:
Okay. This one may be pretty obvious, but I found a few. On Twilight, I found 2 parts from the self titled album pretty much recycled and reused. The main riff in Raging Seasons was sped up and used as the In the Dragons Den. The first line of the first verse of Raging Seasons also became the first line of the second verse of Orion the Hunter. Thats all I found so far, but I think there may be more.

I believe they had a rather short deadline to record Twilight. That may be why previous riffs/sections were used.

Beelzebub said:
There's "A heart of gold pumps within his metal skin, a noble line he carries on" (duh)

The keys in Accolade I around 1:40 match the ending in Accolade II.

I can't believe I've never noticed that! :headbang:

The thing you said about King of Terrors - The guitar does sound like a heartbeat, along with the pounding bass drum, but then there's that skip (time sig change) that simulates a heart skipping a beat...due to terror, perhaps? :p

"My thoughts get lost up in the 'sky-yyyyy-yyyyy'"

OK new one.

At the tail end of In The Dragon's Den. The ending with the stops is in:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (5/4)
1, 2, 3, 4 (4/4)
1, 2, 3 (3/4)
1, 2 (2/4)
1 (1/4)

Count it with taps on your desk, it gets shorter and shorter.

I believe the starting riff in "Inferno" is repeated at the beginning of
"Accolade II" with the piano.

In "Live On The Edge Of Forever" version of "Sea Of lies", on 3:20 , Russell shouts, which replaces the guitar solo ending in the studio album ver. , as Romeo gets to the rythm on that part live. Amazing!!! (BTW, In DWOT, it is on the minute 3:40)

There's another connection between the Accolades.

Accolade I - 7:53, when the guitar enters the polyrhythm.
Accolade II - 5:29, keyboard plays the same melody!

Both songs are track 4, as well :p