Symphony X--The Album!

Rose Immortal

Spirit of Hope
Jun 19, 2004
Yeah, OK, so I had a Spaceballs moment coming up with the thread title.

I just listened for the second time to Symphony X and seriously, aside from the sound-quality problems, and the fact that the vocalist can't hold a candle to Russell Allen...this thing is not bad at all! In fact, it's really quite underrated.

I also think it's one of the very best debut albums I've ever heard out of a band...ever. You can tell the promise is there, and if I'd been a record company hearing that for a demo, I'd sign Symphony X in a heartbeat. ;)

Am I the only person who actually finds this more palatable than The Odyssey?

it's a great album. Sure the production and singing isn't on part with the rest of Symphony X's albums, but the songwriting is amazing. I love hearing "Premonition" and the interlude to "Absinthe and Rue."

The solos in "Taunting The Notorious" are awesome, and the 12 min epic of "A Lesson Before Dying" is brilliant. I love the drum solos in some of the songs too.

It would be sweet to hear a remaster or something.

Hi,

I always say, it's my second fave besides TiO. It is so amazing and really really great music. I know it's a bit lame to say so, but other bands never make such a CD during their whole band-life. I like this and I think they shouldn't remake it. Why should they? Changing the singer doesn't make it necessary to re-record all the albums that were made with another one. In case of SyX it's only one, but with other bands there are often a few more.

Ok, I've been supressing this for quite some time now, but I actually concur with Rose Immortal, to a certain extent. As I've maintained with friends, the 1st album is more like an uncut diamond. True, there are bones to pick with this one, but the debut prompts you to look deeper...and the pleasant surprises are there. Cases in point: the brilliant parts of songs like "Absinthe and Rue" and "The Raging Season".

At least when it's me, I forgive mistakes on a first album, and I get a bit less forgiving as you move forward through a band's catalogue. I actually found myself liking "Shades of Grey" a lot in some places, and "A Lesson Before Dying" really was the predecessor to all of Symphony X's future epic tracks.

The songs on Opeth's Orchid didn't flow this well then...Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn had big production problems, plus it was poppy and stupid in a lot of places, not at all indicative of future work...same goes for Radiohead's Pablo Honey, which I haven't heard but its reputation precedes it...Coldplay's Parachutes was way overrated and should not have had the title track being 0:50...I could name other debut albums I own, but the point is Symphony X kills them all. ;)

I also recently listened to the self-titled and found myself liking it a lot more. There are some absolutely sickening guitar and bass sections, and if you forgive the vocals, the songs are really well-written.

However, I think the potential of those songs wasn't realized, and a remake would yield a totally amazing album.

If you want to "forgive a vocalist" (whatever it means) forgive the one in first four (yes 4) albums of "Angra". He sucks big time ...

turke said:
If you want to "forgive a vocalist" (whatever it means) forgive the one in first four (yes 4) albums of "Angra". He sucks big time ...
Careful. There are some big, old-Angra fans that love Andre lurking about. I'm with you, though. Well, kind of. I don't think he sucks. He has great range, and is a good vocalist, but his timbre, to me, blows. I think the new Angra is heads and hands above the old. I listen to old Angra and wonder what the allure is. I think Holy Land held promise, but it petered out. I have to wonder why a man would ever sing Wuthering Heights... strange. Do old-Angra fans have fantasies of Andre, as Catherine, in Victorian getup singing at their window? ;) I much prefer the new Angra.

Back OT, I still have never heard the first Symphony X album. I've always been afraid to commit to buying due to the stories of the original singer. I'll have to grab it one of these days.

It's true he sounds like a girl a lot of the time, and that he's not anywhere near as skilled as Allen.

Still, I've heard worse.

well from what im hearing it sounds like im definately gonna have to get hold of this :) i suppose in the grand scheme of things im a new Symphony X fan but I listen to their work so so much (especially TiO + DWOT). Self-titled is the only 1 im missing out on.

Imaginarium said:
well from what im hearing it sounds like im definately gonna have to get hold of this :) i suppose in the grand scheme of things im a new Symphony X fan but I listen to their work so so much (especially TiO + DWOT). Self-titled is the only 1 im missing out on.

I think you're definitely missing out. It may take a few listens to get used to the production and vocals, but it all comes together and sounds amazing.

bball_1523 said:
I think you're definitely missing out. It may take a few listens to get used to the production and vocals, but it all comes together and sounds amazing.

ok well as soon as I get the chance (and the cash :erk: ) i'll grab hold of it! *rubs hands in anticipation*

turke said:
Well, there are lots of people who like his singing, but at least in live shows, he sings out of tune most of the time

What are you talking about? Edu is pretty darn good at least he's better than Rod hahahahhahaa. Buy the Self-titled SX cd just to support one of your favorite bands and of course don't listen to it so it would be in "mint" condition hahaha. Just kidding, this album is one of the worst albums I've ever listened to. Buy it and listen to it. I'm pretty sure you won't like it.

Metropolis Part 2 said:
What are you talking about? Edu is pretty darn good at least he's better than Rod hahahahhahaa. Buy the Self-titled SX cd just to support one of your favorite bands and of course don't listen to it so it would be in "mint" condition hahaha. Just kidding, this album is one of the worst albums I've ever listened to. Buy it and listen to it. I'm pretty sure you won't like it.
We're talking about Andre Matos, not Edu. I watched a bit of old-Angra at the Monster's of Rock in Sao Paulo. It was on the edge of horrible.

i think the first one is awesome, and after a while, you really get used to tyler's voice...still, allen OWNS him. but come on, you gotta admit...neither can compare to the good ol' lindsay lohans and ashlee simpsons of the world :p

I love their first album. I got used to the shitty vocals after a few listens, and I LOVE it. It is my least favorite though. I would like it a lot more if it were Russel Allen singing those songs..

I Think Andre Matos is one of the greatest singers in Rock/Metal. He is just simply amazing, I love him very much. Excuse me but even great singers make errors live, not everyone is a virtuoso at singing at the same tone all the time. Its much harder singing Angra than soloing at 19/16.