Let's Get Teary-Eyed!!!

PrgrsveMetalnChains

Vocal Prince
Jun 18, 2007
FWB, FL
This is the crybaby thread...where you admit to hearing a song (preferably by S-X) that was so powerful and moving, you actually got really fucking close to tearing up or actually DID in fact, tear up or more.

We all (hopefully) have heard a song from someone that has moved us this much, and seeing how this is a Symphony X thread, it would only be mostly appropriate to tell my first time ever tearing up while listening to a song was in fact, a S-X song.

I had skimmed through a few S-X songs off of the Odyssey until recently such as The Turning, Awakenings, and Accolade II. I also caught myself being guilty of this on a few other albums of theirs but thats not important.

My story is basically this: I heard Paradise Lost (the song) for the first time and kept it on repeat over and over and over until my ears bled because it moved me SO much. I almost came to tears when first hearing Paradise Lost, but it didn't move me quite enough I guess...but it obviously is still a mind blowing song. This brings me to the mother fucking Accolade II.

I had heard The Accolade (original) awhile back and just kinda said "yeah this song is pretty fuckin' good" and went on my way listening to the rest of their catalog. Well, yesterday I finally forced myself to listen to Accolade II in it's entirety and let me tell you...I almost balled like a baby (needless to say, I teared up). That fucking song moved me so hard I could have died right then and been happy. I really can't explain why it touched me so much or what was going on; all I know is I am more than humbled by this "new" song I have found of theirs and am so gracious to have found a band with such power and emotion.

So...I leave you to go on and tell me and the others here of your either S-X song moment like this, or if you must (try and keep it in the family), another band's song.

Adieu! :cry:

The only Symphony X song that had that effect on me was Candlelight Fantasia. Symphony X songs generally give me an optimistic attitude, though... rarely do I get teary-eyed from listening to them. They do have, however, some excellent pieces that invoke emotion (in my opinion). You can tell that the band put a lot of thought into the beauty of certain songs while writing them:

(in chronological order)

The Edge of Forever
The Accolade (the multi-layered part near the end) :saint:
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Candlelight Fantasia
Through the Looking Glass (those first few verses... wow)
Communion and the Oracle
Rediscovery pt. I
Accolade II
Awakenings (some of their best lyrics, imo)
The Odyssey
Frontiers (first verse with the bass)
Paradise Lost
Eve of Seduction (chorus)
The Sacrifice
Revelation

"Brings a tear to the savage eye"

a saying my old friend and co writer that recently died used to say alot
speaking of whom, I was always moved when he laid down a vocal track.

Symphony X CD's dont effect me that way but I was pretty moved when they played The Odyessy live
Same deal when Queensryche played Take Hold of the Flame
Fates Warnings - APSOG put me on my knees but that had alot to do with who and what I connected the music too (a damn girl of course). AND - When I got my Tommy Bolin CD libary it has songs that take me back to the times when I was with said damn girl.

DAMN GIRLS ANYHOW !

Ooooo, stay away from this this then if Accolade II got you teary-eyed. I always loved the "How can I go on?" line, such good vocal control.

I usually get very emotional when listening to Through The Looking Glass, particularly the chorus. First Symphony X song I heard and it reminded me of a recently deceased relative.

Paradise Lost is very powerful in how Allen sings it. Candlelight Fantasia also rocks my eyewater about XD.

Are you referring to the amazing vocal part Russell lays down with multiple voices singing like a choir?

Close, but I was talking about the instrumental section right after Russell's "choir" part. I think it's really unique how they added a new instrument every few measures in a different time signature, but even with all seven or so layers of sound, it sounds euphoric. I love the choir part, too, though.

Ooooo, stay away from this this then if Accolade II got you teary-eyed. I always loved the "How can I go on?" line, such good vocal control.

:lol: Which one of the 117 Final Fantasy games is that from?

Paradise Lost is very powerful in how Allen sings it.

100% agreed. I love the part right after the guitar solo... Russell puts so much emotion in the melody. Hearing them play that part live and pulling off that amazing dynamic transition immediately following it was quite an experience.

Can't really think of a SX song that gets me teary eyed, maybe just Candlelight Fantasia and Accolade II. Oh and Paradise Lost. One song that gets me is Guardian by Fates Warning, I do love it. Don't Fall Asleep by SoS too, it's stuck on me.

I consider myself a pretty emotional guy, but tears? Wow...never even got a hint of that...especially from Symphony X...maybe a really dark, sad Sarah McLachlan tune if I was in some deep introspective mood. Candlelight Fantasia is a gorgeous tune and one of my favorites but could never evoke a tear. Maybe I'm more manly than I thought...Ha!

emo.jpg

:lol:

It happened to me with Accolade II and of Sins and Shadows! Actually it happened to me with a lot of their songs. I don't exactly get teary eyed, I just get goosebumps like CRAZY. It happens all the time with A Fool's Paradise.

roflmao at crying to a SX song. Seriously?

I recommend the following pieces of desolate music:

Wishing Tree - Carnival of Souls
Unicorn - Ever Since/Emotional Wasteland
Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain/The Mantle
Rain - Cerulean Blue
Nick Cave or Duncan Sheik

note that these probably won't make you cry, but they are fuckin bleak. A lot more bleak than power metal.

Ken's right. The agalloch tunes i mentioned don't bring a tear to the eye, but they just crush you. Also check out some stuff like swallow the sun, dirge, evoken... some doom is very emotional and depressing, and other is just pure cold darkness. When you listen to it, you feel like you'll never be happy again...