Let's discuss these interesting bands for ProgPower!

woosta

Sep 7, 2002
Visit site
I'm not into making the general "list" thread but there are some bands that are off the beaten path that would be AWESOME for a slot at ProgPower. Let's see if any of these draw any interest or support:

Lake of Tears: How can this band NOT draw interest?

Gotthard: Yeah, straight hard rock but high calibur name band

Iron Savior: Where have the power heads been for this band?

To/Die/For: Again, a unique 3 slot band

Metalium: Power metal to the core.

Sinner: lots of Primal Fear talk, but what about Sinner?

Charon: More great Finnish metal

Tiamat: This band would be one of the coolest vibes to hear live

if Jennie Tebler performs with them, I'd look forward to it. However, after Nightingale's lukewarm response... I don't know how well a band like this would do.

They'd be another snoozer for me (like PC69 was), but I think they'd go over well.

I'll join you in championing their cause, but I'd rather see Savage Circus. The last couple IS albums have been uninteresting.

Ick. became totally crappy after Chapter 2. can't stand them now. Might be a fun band to see once, just to see them announce, "What's that reflection? The FLASK?? Flask? ...flask? ...flask...?"

I can't agree with you enough here. I'd be about 1,000,000,000 times more excited for Sinner than for Priestal Fear; they're far more original, darker, and more complex. Unfortunately, I fear (no pun intended) that PF is the bigger draw.

Haven't heard them, but I haven't heard particularly great things about them, either.

They might be an interesting oddball, but they haven't done much for me in the past, not to mention the fact that they're a long-time band, but their releases seem to go under the prog/power radar every time. I don't see anything in them that would make them go over well at ProgPower.

I'd be in favor of To/Die/For; are they still around? I keep hearing that they are breaking up, or have broken up. But I would love to see a band like To/Die/For (or Entwine), provided that Glenn thinks they would fit the nature of the festival.

Iron Savior would be cool. Personally, the power band I would most like to see at ProgPower is Firewind.

booB said:

if Jennie Tebler performs with them, I'd look forward to it. However, after Nightingale's lukewarm response... I don't know how well a band like this would do.

They'd be another snoozer for me (like PC69 was), but I think they'd go over well..
Since I like PC69 and LOVE Nightingale, these bands would be knockouts for me.

I think you need for people to have heard of you to draw interest. Never heard of them.

Who?

Generic to the core. You could swap these guys out with a thousand different PM bands and very few people would notice/care.

I didn't think there were too many three slot bands that I've never heard of.

Unfortunately, the core is rotten.

Yawn.

Great? They're OK. If you have one CD by this band, you don't need a second.

Tiamat: This band would be one of the coolest vibes to hear live.

Interesting.

Zod

I bet Iron Savior has been investigated in the past but for some reason or another it hasn't happened. I would love to see them, though. Sinner would probably go down well too, and Metalium would be a solid 2nd band or something. I think booB may be right about Tiamat, although I do enjoy some of their stuff. Charon would be cool... and a solid mid-card replacement for Sentenced... who were one of the few bands that hadn't played so far that could have headlined... if they hadn't broken up.

Metalium has mainly suffered from really hairbrained production ideas, much like Metallica on St. Anger. Live they'd probably go over just fine.

Iron Savior's all right. Good enough.

Matt, if Nevermore in your book is power metal, then the newer Sentenced albums (Especially from Cold white light and the funeral album) are power metal as well imo... =)

General Zod said:

I think you need for people to have heard of you to draw interest. Never heard of them.

Who?

Generic to the core. You could swap these guys out with a thousand different PM bands and very few people would notice/care.

I didn't think there were too many three slot bands that I've never heard of.

Unfortunately, the core is rotten.

Yawn.

Great? They're OK. If you have one CD by this band, you don't need a second.

Tiamat: This band would be one of the coolest vibes to hear live.

Interesting.

Zod

Ok, so we'll drop the "Power" and just call it Zod's Progfest of the 6 bands he HAS heard of.

Ruthven said:
I'd be in favor of To/Die/For; are they still around? I keep hearing that they are breaking up, or have broken up. But I would love to see a band like To/Die/For (or Entwine), provided that Glenn thinks they would fit the nature of the festival.

They're still around. They just released their IV cd and I think The End Records is just now getting it in stock.

woosta said:
I'm not into making the general "list" thread but there are some bands that are off the beaten path that would be AWESOME for a slot at ProgPower. Let's see if any of these draw any interest or support:

To be honest i am no fan of any of those bands you mentioned

Yngvai X said:
Sentenced doesn't really fit either the prog or power label so I guess they would have been an oddball...but a good one nonetheless.

They certainly aren't a perfect fit for either the "prog" or "power" label, but they had been around for a while, and a lot of people in the prog / power scene dig them, so I'm sure they would have gone over great as a headlining band at ProgPower. But, I suppose that ship has sailed. Maybe a few years from now Glenn can engineer another miracle reunion show. Though it seems pretty unlikely in this case. :D

woosta said:

woosta said:
Interesting suggestion. Maybe 5-8 years off the mark though, and they're closer to doom than ProgPower

woosta said:
Sure, fun Swiss hard hair rock not far off from Whitesnake. No reason why not.

Woosta said:
Not a bad choice.

woosta said:
If ProgPower had begun in the mid 90s, Tiamat would absolutely fit around Wildhoney/Deeper Kind of Slumber era. As of right now, Johan's in a lazy slump. The sleeper MUST reawaken!!

BenMech said:
If ProgPower had begun in the mid 90s, Tiamat would absolutely fit around Wildhoney/Deeper Kind of Slumber era. As of right now, Johan's in a lazy slump. The sleeper MUST reawaken!!

Actually, I think Tiamat's newer work is much more groundbreaking than their early stuff. I really don't see them as lazy at all. I see them as something of a breath of fresh air. Throw in the side project Lucyfire and you have one of the most unique and fresh artists/songwriters going today, IMO!