ProgPower VI Line-up

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
Bored at work. Figured I'd put my guess as to who will play PPVI on record. Mind you, this is not a list of who I want to see, just who I think will play PPVI and why. Since whether a band plays Friday or Saturday is largely irrelevant, I'll forgo such a guess and just stick to respective slots.

Slot 1 - Riverside - there's always a Sensory/Laser's Edge opener. Add in they've never played the U.S. and their debut ranked in Glenn's Top 10.

Slot 1 - Manticora - they're very interested in playing the fest. Lars attended PPV, which is always an indicator that a band may play the following year's fest. Add in, they have a new disc out, and it finished in Glenn's Top 15 of '04.

Slot 2 - Pyramaze - this band is a perfect blend of Prog and Power. They seem like they would be a perfect fit for this fest.

Slot 2 - Mercenary - went over well at PPIV. Their new CD is Glenn's favorite of '04. I expect these guys will be Glenn's "wildcard" for the 2nd time in three years.

Slot 3 - Sonata Arctica - rumor had it that Glenn almost had these guys inked for PPV. They're another perfect fit for this fest. Not sure if the fact that they're about to embark on their 1st US tour will diminish their value in Glenn's eyes.

Slot 3 - Jag Panzer - haven't played the fest since PPI. A strong new CD, and an approach that fits PP well, make these guys a strong candidate.

Slot 4 - Evergrey - one of Glenn's favorite bands. I'd be SHOCKED if their not back.

Slot 4 - Symphony X - hey, it's an even number fest, which means SX is back. Add in a new CD due out before the fest, and their popularity, and I expect a 4th PP appearance for SX.

Slot 5 - Angra - Angra was very professional at PPIV, when Gamma Ray wasn't. I expect that a great new CD (which was Glenn's #5 of '04), their popularity, and the need for a headliner will have Angra back in Atlanta

Slot 5 - Stratovarius - I expect Glenn will do all that he can to bring a reunited Stratovarius to PPVI.

Zod

Only one I don't know is Riverside. I think that's a cool line-up thought I sub the first spot with Morifade or Orphaned Land. Don't know if even Glenn can get Strato together, but I'd love to see Kotipelto there with maybe Jens doing keyboards and Romeo on guitar.

That's a pretty good grouping of bands, and I wouldn't be suprised to see a good amount of those bands there. Following Glenn's favorites is a good concept. He's more apt to go after his favorites.

I could live without a couple of them - like Stratovarius, and Sonata Arctica, but I wouldn't bitch much if those two bands were there.

Since I payed no attention to Mercenary the first time around, I'd really like a 2nd shot at seeing them.

Jag Panzer would rip in a 3rd spot. They've had at least two studio discs since their last time out.

A couple other bands that I'd like to see get some consideration would be, Mystic Prophecy, DGM, Vision Divine, Magnitude 9, and Orphaned Land.

I'm not sure if Glenn is real familiar with Mystic Prophecy, but I'm guessing they would be right up his alley if he likes power acts like Brainstorm, and Tad Morose.

DarkTide said:
I could live without a couple of them - like Stratovarius, and Sonata Arctica, but I wouldn't bitch much if those two bands were there.
I'm with you. Personally, I'm hoping neither band is there, though I won't complain no matter who Glenn picks.

DarkTide said:
Jag Panzer would rip in a 3rd spot. They've had at least two studio discs since their last time out.
Agreed.

DarkTide said:
A couple other bands that I'd like to see get some consideration would be, Mystic Prophecy, DGM, Vision Divine, Magnitude 9, and Orphaned Land.
You and I are on the same page. I would love to see all of those bands, except maybe Vision Divine, who I've yet to make my mind up about.

Zod

I don't know, that lineup just seems too expensive. You got Symphony X, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, and Angra on the same list. That's just big $$ right there it seems like. Even though we did have PPIII with lots of big names, I just am skeptical that all those would attend the same festival. But Glenn's surprised me before.

Not knowing if I will be able to make it this year, I would somewhat disappointed if I heard riverside and orphaned land made it this year but I know there would be 1100 lucky people getting to see 2 great bands.:Spin:

I have to admit that this is a *great* thread for me to read. I love to see people analyze the roster from a viewpoint diifferent than "I want to see insert your favorite band name here."

If you post in this thread, make sure your you reply in this thread on March 1st as I would love to see a comparison on what you thought vs what happened.

Glenn H.

Given Glenn's recent hints regarding the middle bands
"5. offer on table, band trying like hell to make it happen
6. offer on table, await schedule clearance, feel good about it"

I've thought that there was a good chace either of these could be Eidolon with the Pagan's Mind fella singing...

It's always funny, though...

No matter how much you calculate laws of averages...consider the prevailing rumors...factor in the bands that YOU KNOW are sure things...add in the bands that you know are up-and-coming, in-demand, and affordable...

Glenn always totally surprises...

Not bitching...just stating the facts...

I'm currently bitching, moaning, groaning, pleading, and dying to see certain bands for PP6...and, while I love the anticipation...I've learned a long time ago that it's very difficult to second-guess the Harvester...

Which is exactly why this festival is so special...

Rock on!

--And the kewl thing is, in a month or two Glenn will start making his TRULY evil posts, like he did last year. Y'know, the posts that Invoke Math.

"Well, the closest person so far was 60% correct, and 75% of all the posts mentioned a band that WILL be appearing." (probably Evergrey :))

Ahhhh, antici

pation. :D

STRATOVARIUS, thats whats up. I'm sure the rest of the lineup will be interesting, it always is. I still think Running Wild should be here but from what I hear they are not a consideration. Which I don't see why?

There are some good ideas so far...Time for me to have a go. Btw did we decide on a prize for the person that gets the most right??
1. Riverside - I could see that.
2. Stride - Good buzz going around after the pre party show at pp4, plus a new album.
3. Time Requiem - I must have herd ICoR 30 times at pp5.
4. Magistral - How many pre party shows do you have to play b4 you get some mainstage love???
5. Kotipelto - Him or Strato ill be happy.
6. Shaman - Maybe a longshot but you never know what Glenn can do.
7. Sonata Arctica - Finaly a headline spot in USA!
8. Evergrey - Ill be shocked if the grey will not grace us.
9. Symphony X - New album they shouuld be there.
10. Nightwish - This band is Blowing up have you seen the MTV blurb?? what a joke...
I know there is alot of "repeats" but this is how I think it will go down. Maybe another "Power" band somewere in the mix who knows!

1. Stride- I think Ken at Laser's Edge signed them, and he is always good for 1 band
2. Scenes- Strictly based upon the fact that I got the guitraist in touch with Glenn and he was already familiar with their material. Plus they have a brand new album coming out in a few months.
3. Pyramaze- Lance King was here once and this band is a perfect fit for PP
4. Epica- One album and a DVD already. I also heard the Mark Jansen wanted to play the US
5. Symphorce- Andy stole the show last year and the crowd response was phenomenal. Can't see why, schedule permirring, Glenn wouldn't snatch his other band
6. Shaman- The other half of Angra is bound to play this festival
7. Conception Reunion- It has been hyped and Glenn said he was really stoked about something. Could this be it? If so, worth the price of admission alone!
8. Enchant- Just a wild guess; not that I care if they play, but i have a hunch
9. Stratovarius- Timo was here last year, and I'm sure the topic of playing PP one day was discussed with Glenn. Also, they seem to be trying to work things out.
10. Sonata Arctica- Doesn't matter that they are opening for Nightwish; they need to headline.

Nightmare1z said:
I don't know, that lineup just seems too expensive. You got Symphony X, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, and Angra on the same list. That's just big $$ right there it seems like. Even though we did have PPIII with lots of big names, I just am skeptical that all those would attend the same festival. But Glenn's surprised me before.

As you said, bigger names have attended before, as they did at III. Also keep in mind, that the money is dependent on the slot. If SX is willing to take 4 slot money, as they did at IV, than it's not an issue. I don't think Sonata Arctica will cost that much, as they are touring the U.S. as Nighwish's opening act.

Zod

nightwish58 said:
1. Stride- I think Ken at Laser's Edge signed them, and he is always good for 1 band.
I'd love to see these guys. They would be a good pick.

nightwish58 said:
5. Symphorce- Andy stole the show last year and the crowd response was phenomenal. Can't see why, schedule permirring, Glenn wouldn't snatch his other band.
Another good call. They seem like a good fit, and a decent possibility.

nightwish58 said:
6. Shaman- The other half of Angra is bound to play this festival
See Symphorce.

nightwish58 said:
7. Conception Reunion- It has been hyped and Glenn said he was really stoked about something. Could this be it? If so, worth the price of admission alone!
Kamelot should be on tour about this time in support of their new CD, so it would seem unlikely.

nightwish58 said:
10. Sonata Arctica- Doesn't matter that they are opening for Nightwish; they need to headline.
That would be bad business. If they could be had for 3rd or 4th slot money, which given the rumor that they were nearly a 3rd slot band at PPV, and the fact that they can't headline the U.S. on their own, I doubt Glenn would need to pay 5 slot money for them.

Zod

10. Nightwish - This band is Blowing up have you seen the MTV blurb?? what a joke...

What was the mtv blurb thing all about?

Yeah, what MTV Nightwish blurb?

Also: I agree. Time Requiem would be a great choice, and also a realistic one.

Glenn did play their songs at PP5 on the radio and they are semi-popular but still kind of unknown. Would be a great find for lots of people, as their keyboardist is amazing at what he does and writes great neoclassical music. Plus Wuthering Heights singer is the singer of Space Odyssey - a side project Andersson does, so that's cool too.