ProgPower VI Line-up

FatesFan said:
DarkTide said:
I had heard a song from a band( I believe the band name was Elvin King or something like that) that was just brilliiant. It had everything I could ask for in a song. It went on for about 90% of the song with clean vocals. The song closed with these awful death metal growls that just ruined the whole thing.

You're probably talking about the Italian band Elvenking and their song Skywards from the Heathenreel album. I couldn't disagree with you more, however, everyone is different.

As far as having bands with extreme vocals at ProgPower, I'd be happy to see more of it. For example, Vintersorg's last couple of albums are undoubtedly progressive yet they also utilize extreme metal vocals - does this mean Vintersorg isn't a progressive metal band simply because of the vocals? I would surely hope not.

I believe it's gotten to the point where progressive metal simply means to play in the style of bands like Dream Theater and Symphony X, which, to me, is not what it should be. I'd like to see some true progressive metal bands, in other words, bands that progressed the genre one way or another, like ... And Oceans or Sigh - both of which make use of extreme vocals.

Anyhow, this post was more or less a rant - sorry.

Oakenson said:
You're probably talking about the Italian band Elvenking and their song Skywards from the Heathenreel album. I couldn't disagree with you more, however, everyone is different.

As far as having bands with extreme vocals at ProgPower, I'd be happy to see more of it. For example, Vintersorg's last couple of albums are undoubtedly progressive yet they also utilize extreme metal vocals - does this mean Vintersorg isn't a progressive metal band simply because of the vocals? I would surely hope not.

I believe it's gotten to the point where progressive metal simply means to play in the style of bands like Dream Theater and Symphony X, which, to me, is not what it should be. I'd like to see some true progressive metal bands, in other words, bands that progressed the genre one way or another, like ... And Oceans or Sigh - both of which make use of extreme vocals.

Anyhow, this post was more or less a rant - sorry.

I guess my point in all of this is to say: If you want to hear growling that is fine. Turn on MTV2 on saturday night aroung 10:00 and you will get 2 hours of it every week. You can also go to almost any mid to larger size town and find all the growlers you want playing in clubs all across America.

There is only one time a year that we here in America get a chance to see some of the most amazing singers in the prog biz. I can't turn on tv and see this. I can't go to a club and see this type of music. I am all for music progressing. However, if you remember the 80-90'S...Metal progressed into grung and with the influence of hip hop we now have this nu metal fusion stuff. I suppose it would be fine if Evergrey came to progpower with special guest "Flavor Flav". Again, this is just my opinion. I suppose I am in the minority.

FatesFan said:
I am no doubt going to make a few people mad with this statment. However, I feel it needs to be said. Why are there so many people asking for and wanting bands to play PP that are Death Metal type bands or those with grunters and growlers? This is a Prog and power metal festival is it not? If I want to see death metal bands I can go to any number of festival. Progpower USA only comes once a year. I would hate to see it turn into any other old death metal festival.
Give Glenn a bit more credit than that, please! There's no chance that ProgPower USA would become a death-fest because Glenn knows there isn't a need for one*. Glenn books bands that he likes, and Glenn is a power and progressive metal fan. He does like adding a bit of variety each year with artists who don't quite fit the mold, and he's said that the new Mercenary is one of his favorite discs of 2004, but a total death-fest? No chance. There are enough of them out there already.

FatesFan said:
To me, there is no talent in grunting or growling. I think it takes away from what is otherwise a genre overflowing with talented people. This is just my opinion.
Uh, yeah. Take a closer listen to bands like Opeth or Children of Bodom (who have often been mentioned in ProgPower wish-lists) and you'll realize quite how wrong you are. If you don't like bands with "growlers," fine. But try to be a little more objective and don't deride a genre as "talentless" just because you don't like it.

-=-=-=-=--
* There is, however, a desperate need for a competently-run death-metal fest :D

Pellaz said:
Give Glenn a bit more credit than that, please! There's no chance that ProgPower USA would become a death-fest because Glenn knows there isn't a need for one*. Glenn books bands that he likes, and Glenn is a power and progressive metal fan. He does like adding a bit of variety each year with artists who don't quite fit the mold, and he's said that the new Mercenary is one of his favorite discs of 2004, but a total death-fest? No chance. There are enough of them out there already.

Uh, yeah. Take a closer listen to bands like Opeth or Children of Bodom (who have often been mentioned in ProgPower wish-lists) and you'll realize quite how wrong you are. If you don't like bands with "growlers," fine. But try to be a little more objective and don't deride a genre as "talentless" just because you don't like it.

-=-=-=-=--

I am in no way trying to dis-credit Glen. This is not an issue that I have with Glen. I can't begin to say how grateful I am that someone has the vision to put on what is no doubt the best metal festival in this country. It is one of a kind. That is my point. Death metal festivals are a dime a dozen. And yes, I realize that this will never be that. Listen, it is glens festival, and what ever he wants to do is all up to him. However, I do believe that without the buying public there would be no festival. I believe that is why he asks people who they would like to see. I am simply expressing my opinion like everyone else.

As far as the no talent thing goes: There are many of those bands that are very tallented. The music in some is down right remarkable. Hower, the growling for me leaves something to be desired. A friend of mine read in a metal magazine an interview with the lead singer of Shadows Fall. He was asked a question about his singing style. He said that he wish he could sing like Sebastian Bach. He would rather sing that way if he could. But because he lacks the tallent, he had to settle for growling. I did not say it , he did.

AngraRULES said:
Persuader - This is a great band, that has everything to explode in the upcoming years!

Well, if Glenn is right in saying he's sent out all his invites then from what I know, Persuader won't be playing PPVI. If you wanna know how I'd know that, check my website :p

Pellaz said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatesFan
To me, there is no talent in grunting or growling. I think it takes away from what is otherwise a genre overflowing with talented people. This is just my opinion.

Dude, you totally misrepresented what FatesFan said. He didn't, as you suggest, deride an entire genre as talentless just because he doesn't like it. His quote, which you included in your post, clearly states otherwise. FatesFan said, "I think it(the grunting & growling) takes away from what is otherwise a genre overflowing with talented people. He, doesn't like the death or aggressive vocals and simply stated his opinion.

I have to say I agree with FatesFan on the death vocals. As soon as I hear them in a song, I'm instantly put off. Glenn can do as he wishes with PP, as it is his show, but I don't think anyone believes that it will turn into a death-fest. Glenn will book whoever he likes and people will either buy a ticket or stay home. Everyone has their own opinions and taste in music, and they're not all the same.

TheWhisper said:
Dude, you totally misrepresented what FatesFan said. He didn't, as you suggest, deride an entire genre as talentless just because he doesn't like it. His quote, which you included in your post, clearly states otherwise. FatesFan said, "I think it(the grunting & growling) takes away from what is otherwise a genre overflowing with talented people. He, doesn't like the death or aggressive vocals and simply stated his opinion.

I have to say I agree with FatesFan on the death vocals. As soon as I hear them in a song, I'm instantly put off. Glenn can do as he wishes with PP, as it is his show, but I don't think anyone believes that it will turn into a death-fest. Glenn will book whoever he likes and people will either buy a ticket or stay home. Everyone has their own opinions and taste in music, and they're not all the same.

EXACTLY ! Thanks whisperer.
:D

Yngvai X said:
Well, if Glenn is right in saying he's sent out all his invites then from what I know, Persuader won't be playing PPVI. If you wanna know how I'd know that, check my website :p
I also think Mercenary will not be playing this fest for the same reasons you have mentioned above. I really thought they would be a lock for this year, but from what little I've been able to piece together they also have not received an offer.

Pellaz said:

-=-=-=-=--

Know talent in death metal? have you ever tried to "growl", i dont think so.

General Zod said:
Slot 5 - Angra - Angra was very professional at PPIV, when Gamma Ray wasn't. I expect that a great new CD (which was Glenn's #5 of '04), their popularity, and the need for a headliner will have Angra back in Atlanta

Zod

I didn't have the opportunity to go to the PPIV, but why did you say Gamma Ray wasn't professional? what's happened?

i have curiosity to know whats happened because i saw Gamma Ray here in Monterrey, Mexico december 2003 and was a great show.
Regards!
:)

Sautherom said:
I didn't have the opportunity to go to the PPIV, but why did you say Gamma Ray wasn't professional? what's happened?

:)
Let me put a stop to this now. There was a misunderstanding between Kai and his road manager in regards to the end of their show. Gamma Ray went over their alloted time slot by accident. We had to react accordingly to move things along and preserve Angra's time slot. There was nothing unprofessional about it. It was just a misunderstanding. Afterwards, the band was very apologetic and Angra went on to do a great show.

Glenn H.

YtseJammer said:
I vaguely remember Edguy going overtime as well, perhaps that was the cause of the problem.
Edguy played on Friday prior to Blind Guardian. Gamma Ray and Angra were on Saturday.

To my recollection, Edguy did not go over. If that were the case, I am 100% sure I would have heard about it from BG's manager.

Glenn H.

AngraRULES said:
Magnitude 9 - They've canceled on us before. The guy's wife is not pregnant this year. There can't be another son coming up, so maybe he could do it this time. Bring them!

I don't think it was because she was pregnant. I think it was because he had to walk his son across the street to the bus to take him to school. :D

Since I posted my wish list already, I'm not going to go into guessing all ten bands because none of us are going to get more then half of them right at most.

For me personally as definites, I'm thinking SyX, Evergrey and the Conception reunion.

And if those three are playing, then I'm definitely going!

Harvester said:
Let me put a stop to this now. There was a misunderstanding between Kai and his road manager in regards to the end of their show. Gamma Ray went over their alloted time slot by accident. We had to react accordingly to move things along and preserve Angra's time slot. There was nothing unprofessional about it. It was just a misunderstanding. Afterwards, the band was very apologetic and Angra went on to do a great show.

Glenn H.

Thanks for this info. I like Gamma Ray, and it is good to hear concretely that that incident was a misunderstanding on the band's part, and that no malice was meant.

Oh yeah, and to throw my own 2 cents in, I love death/"extreme" metal vocals - they just have to have powerful, melodic music behind them. That's why I could never get into '80's and most American death metal. I love a lot of European death metal I've heard, though.

Harvester said:
Edguy played on Friday prior to Blind Guardian. Gamma Ray and Angra were on Saturday.

To my recollection, Edguy did not go over. If that were the case, I am 100% sure I would have heard about it from BG's manager.

Glenn H.
I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Nevermind me.