Let's learn theory thread

nataservant

Lord of Mediocraty
Jul 8, 2003
Florida
Visit site
So, I was wondering if we could link any sites/give any tips on learning some music theory. Where should one begin/where should one look etc? Refer books/sites/dvds/videos/lessons and anything that may be interesting.
:worship:

First question is, do you have an instrument in mind or are you just interested in general musical theory?

A decent start is actually wikipedia. Luckily, with my guitar instructor I've learned some theory, and the wikipedia article just made things that much easier to understand/reinforce.

If you are interested in guitar, I recommend the GIT Shredding book. There is a pretty good section on theory. Book is done by Paul Hansen.

Other things I've been reading for theory include: http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1582022/page/1#Post1582022

and http://www.freakguitar.com/scales.html (and other areas of the Freak Guitar site)

Also, Ron Jarzombek's site has some good information.

If you want just all around theory, go to any music shop. There's probably a theory workbook. Workbooks are good because, while they might feel middle schoolish, they have you actually thinking and working out the theory instead of just skimming over it.

Lastly, if you are really interested, you can head on over to the Berklee school's site, and sign up for one of their online classes on theory.

Just remember that a lot of music theory is fairly 'modern' It was developed in a way to explain classical music (from my understanding).

Just remember that a lot of music theory is fairly 'modern' It was developed in a way to explain classical music (from my understanding).

Right you are. The great composers of yesteryear were not following established theory rules, they were just doing what they thought sounded good. It wasn't until much later that people studying the works diachronically started noticing patterns in the compositions - composers had tendencies to write this note in relation to that one, or use this cadence at that time, etc. and the rules of counterpoint and point harmony began to coalesce. I do think music theory is a useful thing to know if you're serious about understanding music.

One remark I'd like to make is that music theory sometimes can get a bad rap unfairly because of peoples' misunderstanding of what it's for. It does not tell you what you can or cannot do with writing music. It isn't "rules" as in, "you aren't allowed to write this way!" etc. Theory does not limit you. It's a way of clarifying and helping you understand the more involved musical ideas used in music. If you want, you can choose to impose limits on yourself, which can actually help your creativity (doing more with less options), but it doesn't force you to do this.

Music: A Mathematical Offering, by David Benson. Cambridge University Press 2007.

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Mathema..._bbs_sr_1/103-3111254-2598245?ie=UTF8&s=books

Partial differential equations, group theory, etc. Great stuff! :)

For those wimps who don't like those sorts of things, try

The Math Behind the Music, by Leon Harkleroad. Cambridge University Press and the Mathematical Association of America, 2006.

http://www.amazon.com/Math-Behind-M...=pd_bbs_2/103-3111254-2598245?ie=UTF8&s=books

Get reading! :)

Ken

Thanks a lot, I'm basically getting into guitar theory but general would also be nice seeing as I would love to play other instruments. Just knowing the things you COULD do would be amazing. The sites are very informative.

I figured I should weigh in because I'm a Music Major at school. Music theory helps show the foundation of the musical map that is a song. It helps show you the road bumps to avoid and the various paths you can choose your journey to follow. You could always look into introductary text books, though that's not really nessacary. I would recomend either the Idiot's guide to music theory or anything offered by Berklee Music. I've used books by both companies in the past and I have had a good result with each.

I just bought:
imageDB.cgi

This ought to be a good read for the next month or so. Good idea, thanks.

If you want a book that goes more in-depth and is written more academically, I'd recommend the Harmony and Voice Leading book by Aldwell & Schachter: http://www.amazon.com/Workbook-Harmony-Voice-Leading/dp/0155062263/ref=ed_oe_p/102-9953840-6972100

I'd also recommend a book on counterpoint. It can get boring and pretty repetitive, but I think it's really good practice for learning voice leading and guiding your creation of melodic lines. I learned all my counterpoint in classes that never used a specific book for it, so I can't really recommend any, unfortunately.

If you want a book that goes more in-depth and is written more academically, I'd recommend the Harmony and Voice Leading book by Aldwell & Schachter: http://www.amazon.com/Workbook-Harmony-Voice-Leading/dp/0155062263/ref=ed_oe_p/102-9953840-6972100

I'd also recommend a book on counterpoint. It can get boring and pretty repetitive, but I think it's really good practice for learning voice leading and guiding your creation of melodic lines. I learned all my counterpoint in classes that never used a specific book for it, so I can't really recommend any, unfortunately.

After I read through the idiot guide and learn and understand the basics I'll definitely delve into more advanced reading. As of right now I can barely understand the Harmony and voice book's description. ;)

BTW Curufin, you techno sig is hilarious.

After I read through the idiot guide and learn and understand the basics I'll definitely delve into more advanced reading. As of right now I can barely understand the Harmony and voice book's description. ;)

BTW Curufin, you techno sig is hilarious.

Yeah, the Aldwell Schachter book is a bit hard to digest if you're completely new to theory and harmony. It makes for good reading once you've got a grasp of some concepts, though.

And that techno sig is from our awesome 9am hangover rave on Saturday morning at PPVII. :)

Learn the progression from Pachelbel's Canon in D and you can be a pop music supastar!

DragonForce uses it, so it must be good, right? ;)

Look up the comedian "Rob Parvonian" for his rant on Pachelbel's Canon in D.
Everyone uses it...from Aerosmith to The Offspring to ...well, Dragonforce.

Anyway...first person to mention substitute flat 5 dominants loses an eye.

...oh shit.

Anyway...first person to mention substitute flat 5 dominants loses an eye.

But altered dominants are so fucking cool becuase you want to hear that dominant 5 chord but instead you get a sharp 5 or a flat 5. And dont get me started on chromatic mediants, the fully diminished 7th chord or those crazy german, french, or italian augmented 6th chords. Now thats a party!