Let's talk about flying V's please. (and post'em if you got'em!)

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Jan 31, 2010
Cambs, UK
www.numbskullaudio.com
I'm GAS'ing hardcore for a V. I keep starting threads everywhere about them because I can't make my mind up, so if you've seen this on another forum please excuse me :lol: Just trying to get some opinions and options.

I'd ideally love something like a Jackson Kv2 or ESP NV, but I'm far from getting one new at those prices, but second hand is an option.

I was contemplating the BC Rich Jr V NJ Deluxe, it's a great spec for the price, but after a week of staring at pictures of it I don't like the angle of the V. It's too acute, which makes it look really long and odd. Muchly prefer a King V style V-shape.

As for spec, my preferences are:
Mahogany body
neck-thru
Good fret access (i know some V's are awful depending on where the join is)
24 frets
Ebony board is a huge plus
Trem
EMG's preferable but any decent pickups will do if the other specs are ticked.

So what's available? what's out there? what have you got?

Jackson would be my choice if I were to get a V, the black one with the black pickguard is the best one imo. Hammett used to play one.

kirkcut1.jpg

I've got a flying V at the moment, it's a ESP LTD Mp-600 (the bullet for my valentine signature..) bought it like 2 years ago because of the shitty emo inlays, but it actually plays very well. At the moment I'm selling it to a friend. It was just way too uncomfortable for me. You have to get used to the shape when playing sitting and I really hate it. Just think about it before buying.

Well I'm a V addicted too :)
I have a Jackson Randy Rhoads that I replaced with Duncan Distortions and it slays. Also ordered yesterday a seven string ESP ltd V-307 (mahogany and emgs). I'll post some pictures in the g.a.s purchases thread when it arrives :D

From my experience you really have to be careful with the edge of the V "horns" (dunno how to call it)... it's pretty easy to scrape them against a wall and shit. And you should try one before buying, cause some people just can't play sitting with them, myself I feel very confortable doing it but it takes some practice. The jack input should be in the higher fin otherwise you will only be able to play with an "L" shape cable and it can be somehow unconfortable... ;)

Cheers!

Yeah I've had V's before, and played many, so I know what I'm getting myself into haha. I hate the classical position but I find myself playing more standing up these days anyway. Plus it won't be my only guitar.

Scheter ATX Black V. I like those

Is it just my eyes fucking with me, or is the bottom side of the V slightly longer than the top side? I can't quite tell!

FWIW another stipulation is that I massively prefer the symmetrical V shape, not a Rhoads fan.

Yeah I've had V's before, and played many, so I know what I'm getting myself into haha. I hate the classical position but I find myself playing more standing up these days anyway. Plus it won't be my only guitar.

Is it just my eyes fucking with me, or is the bottom side of the V slightly longer than the top side? I can't quite tell!

FWIW another stipulation is that I massively prefer the symmetrical V shape, not a Rhoads fan.

yeah, i think they are offset slightly.
i've you've played a schecter you know what these are gonna feel like.
DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_484203.001_black.jpg

I've got a Jackson Dave Mustaine KV1 Pro Kahler Bridge Made in USA obviously... like this one but in black...

DSCN1474.jpg

I really like the Phil Demmel Jackson, its kinda got that King V thing going on, the specs are tight, emgs and such and the shape is a little more sharp. If I were to get one thats what I would get, Im just not the kind of dude that can pull off a flying V.

Live I can't play anything else.
My main weapons:
ESP sv
Jackson San Dimas rr1
Jackson kv2
Jackson rr24 (2 pickups)
Gibson v
Washburn dime3

I'll post some pics later

I like: 24 frets, original fr, 2 humbuckers, high quality alder or mahog body, maple neck (preferably matte or unfinished)

I have a Jackson Rhoads RR5.. I love it but i'm getting kinda tired of the glossy design (gold colored). I should've gotten this one instead:
Jackson%202009%20PRO%20SERIES%20Matt%20Tuck%20Signature%20Rhoads%20Snow%20White%20with%20Black%20Bevels%206-String%20Guitar.JPG

i have 2 USA jackson kv2`s, but only a shitty phone cam that wont do them justice. i owned 30+ guitars, but kept these two in the end ;)

Thanks man.

:guh: Well, home-assembled

Sorry, re-reading my comment now, I sounded like an a-hole. Just not a fan of that Gib-like flat jigsawed-out style body and the lack of pickup rings (on any brand guitar, eg Caparison, etc...) always looks unfinished. Just my preferences, not dissing your work.

Hopefully I sound less like an a-hole now. :saint: