Let's Talk About Guns

^ you know, I actually never meant to say this comment as a "bad" thing or not even to "generalize" Americans as "americans omg"
is was really an innocent remark because it is really amazing to me how people in this country
are into guns, versus other places... 's all :)
you know i <3 u 4 ever and this post isnt directed solely at you, its not really an 'innocent' comment when it was prefaced by a post simply stating "LAME," with follow up posts expanding on why you think its lame. i know saying "you are x race therefore you MUST understand..." doesnt always make the point and often comes across bigoted, but as a jew who served in the Israeli army, you should know of the importance and place of firearms. one of the first things Hitler (and pretty much all other dictators) did was begin to take the guns from the jews and dissenters, "oh you dont need those anymore, I'll protect you" by manipulating Germany's recent strict guns laws, making it so only the nazis could have guns. eventually making it a law that jews couldnt own/sell/be involved with guns what-so-ever. the population handed over their weapons and were powerless to stop Hitler a few years later when he started that whole silly "World Domination Kill the Non-Aryans" thing. Hitler rose to power and seized the country fully within the law! whats to stop a bloated government, drunk with power from doing whatever they want if the population has no protection?

also, the old redneck mantra "if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns" seems reactionary and melodramatic but its fucking true. when El Stormo says things like "Silly americans, just want to be Dirty Harry, why not let the cops protect you?" its a hilariously sick joke. who's gonna protect us from the Cops, and for that matter where are the cops at 3 am when the crackhead is breaking into my house? oh, they cant be everywhere at once? oh, we have to be personally responsible for ourselves and our property like the principals this fucking country was founded on (but forgotten...thats a different story)?!

in a fucked up way we need those crazy motherfuckers in Michigan and Montana, at least someone is exercising our rights so they cant quietly take them completely away. i dont know why this country is so trigger-happy, but as long as the bad guys have guns (and they always will) the good guys gotta have em too. its the 2nd amendment because its really goddamn important. there have always been weapons, there have always been wars, there have always been killing. guns dont kill people, people kill people. cliche as hell and 100% true.

i know this wasnt supposed to be a gun discussion, but the haters started it, and i havent written a serious post in awhile :p

i want some Hoegaarden

The humans won't stop there. They'll make bigger boards and bigger nails, and soon, they will make a board with a nail so big, it will destroy them all!

you know i <3 u 4 ever and this post isnt directed solely at you, its not really an 'innocent' comment when it was prefaced by a post simply stating "LAME," with follow up posts expanding on why you think its lame. i know saying "you are x race therefore you MUST understand..." doesnt always make the point and often comes across bigoted, but as a jew who served in the Israeli army, you should know of the importance and place of firearms. one of the first things Hitler (and pretty much all other dictators) did was begin to take the guns from the jews and dissenters, "oh you dont need those anymore, I'll protect you" by manipulating Germany's recent strict guns laws, making it so only the nazis could have guns. eventually making it a law that jews couldnt own/sell/be involved with guns what-so-ever. the population handed over their weapons and were powerless to stop Hitler a few years later when he started that whole silly "World Domination Kill the Non-Aryans" thing. Hitler rose to power and seized the country fully within the law! whats to stop a bloated government, drunk with power from doing whatever they want if the population has no protection?

also, the old redneck mantra "if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns" seems reactionary and melodramatic but its fucking true. when El Stormo says things like "Silly americans, just want to be Dirty Harry, why not let the cops protect you?" its a hilariously sick joke. who's gonna protect us from the Cops, and for that matter where are the cops at 3 am when the crackhead is breaking into my house? oh, they cant be everywhere at once? oh, we have to be personally responsible for ourselves and our property like the principals this fucking country was founded on (but forgotten...thats a different story)?!

in a fucked up way we need those crazy motherfuckers in Michigan and Montana, at least someone is exercising our rights so they cant quietly take them completely away. i dont know why this country is so trigger-happy, but as long as the bad guys have guns (and they always will) the good guys gotta have em too. its the 2nd amendment because its really goddamn important. there have always been weapons, there have always been wars, there have always been killing. guns dont kill people, people kill people. cliche as hell and 100% true.

i know this wasnt supposed to be a gun discussion, but the haters started it, and i havent written a serious post in awhile :p

i want some Hoegaarden

Goddamn, that was a fuckin' great post.

I'd have to say, however, that the problem lies within the mindset of people. This is the real problem; the fact that people are coming into other people's houses and raping them, or crackheads are breaking into your house, etc. is the problem, not necessarily guns. It's the culture that is the problem. However, you can't change an entire culture when said culture glorifies violence.

Crimes like these happen all over the world, this is true, but (and I'm being brutally honest here) I've never heard of anyone breaking into anyone's house and killing someone's family or raping them since I've been in Italy. Never. The worst things that happen here are if the gypsies knock on your door, spray you with knock-out spray when you open it, come into your house and steal a few valuables and you wake up with a headache and 100 bucks missing. Things like that put entire communities in fear...but a serial rapist or murderer? Unheard of, unless you count the Beasts of Satan slayings a few years ago, and they were buried alive and beaten to death with shovels by stupid metalheads...the entire country almost lynched heavy metal after that.

Sure, people kill each other, albeit extremely rarely here. I think there were only a couple hundred murders in Italy last year, and most of those were in Naples between the Camorra mafia clans. I can't be sure the exact number, but I remember something to the tune 160 murders in the most crime-ridden city in all of Italy, mainly due to mafia wars. ONE murder is a tragedy, but out of millions of people, a couple hundred isn't too bad. Yes, people have guns illegally, this is true. But people here, especially in the north don't even think about something like that...it just doesn't happen that often. Italian people scream and shout and yell and carry on, but nothing ever comes of it. They can't even take a punch...a fight with an Italian guy will be the shortest fight of your life...you hit him once and he goes down and that's it.

In New Orleans, I couldn't even walk down the street at night.

There's a cultural problem with violence and lack of respect of the human being, and whether guns are made legal or illegal will not change that fact. The human mindset must change and the value of human life must be worth more than whatever is in his pockets.

summary: americans be crazy
i agree with you. there is something about americans, we're so quick to take it to that next level. i think the point of that movie Bowling for Columbine was lost on people who didnt even see it thinking it was about gun control, it was really about trying to find an answer to that question. why does america have so many gun deaths when plenty of countries with just about as many guns per capita have infinitely fewer by comparison. nobody really had an answer (poor old going-senile NRA main man Charlton Heston said maybe it was cause of the coloreds lolz), but it was interesting haha.

i agree with you. there is something about americans, we're so quick to take it to that next level. i think the point of that movie Bowling for Columbine was lost on people who didnt even see it thinking it was about gun control, it was really about trying to find an answer to that question. why does america have so many gun deaths when plenty of countries with just about as many guns per capita have infinitely fewer by comparison. nobody really had an answer (poor old going-senile NRA main man Charlton Heston said maybe it was cause of the coloreds lolz), but it was interesting haha.

LOL, "americans be crazy". Yeah, you're exactly right about us taking it to the next level...we're just a violent culture. I had to explain my position, rather than say, "americans be crazy"...although that sums it up quite nicely. It's not like you can't get a gun on the black market here...Italy is full of criminals. The difference is, people here DON'T WANT a gun.

http://wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7032735

GREENVILLE, SC (AP) - Authorities say a 70-year-old man shot and killed an intruder in his home Tuesday night.

Greenville County Master Deputy Michael Hildebrand says William Willis suffered several cuts to his arms as he scuffled with the intruder.

Willis' wife woke him up when she heard a noise in the home and Willis got a gun before going to investigate.

Deputies say Willis found a man in his living room and they began to fight.

Investigators say the intruder was shot several times in the chest, while Willis was cut with a knife several times on the arm.

The man died at the scene, while Willis was taken to the hospital and is expected to recover.

The suspected intruder's name hasn't been released.