let's talk hardware reverbs.

[UEAK]Clowd

Apr 29, 2008
I've kind of thought this for a long time, and the more and more software verbs I try, the more I think it's true - One of the biggest differences between "amateur" mixes(mine, at least)and the big boys' mixes are the reverbs.

I've long thought that the spaces used in a mix define a large part of the "character" and "vibe" - and either I suck at using them, or the software verbs just don't cut it for that particular purpose. Sure they can put your stuff in a space, but they just don't have that vibe thing going on.

I'm using the redline reverb demo right now and it comes kinda close but it still just doesn't cut it. Are the lexicon/eventide/other $$$ units the answer to this? or am I just doing something wrong with my settings?

discuss.

It's more than likely that there is something going on with your mixing which you aren't entirely happy with. There are plenty of ITB verbs that can be tailored to increase the size of space without being too obtrusive, but they can take some tweaking. The UAD Plate 140 is a favorite for this.

Lexicon have come out with a PCM96 native bundle anyway, so if you find you are a bit of a verb connoisseur, you can fork out one and a half grand there.

As being a sucker for 80's production, that means im also a sucker for reverbs.
Im currently using KarmaFX Reverb(VST), while its not great for vocals, i LOVE using it on drums.

Learning how to set the early-reflection and the predelay is important, finding that sweet spot where it fills out the mix, but doesnt take too much space.
To me, hi/lowpassing the reverb properly is one of the most important things when adding reverb.. its all about controlling the "focus point" of the reverb.

Yeah.. well, i suck at explaining things so il leave it at that and let someone else fill in! ;)
Gotta work anyways. ;(

http://karmafx.net/

Yeah... I don't know. I don't even really feel like I have a problem figuring out what kind of settings I need to use.. they just don't have that CHARACTER.

does anyone know what I'm trying to say here? "vibe" and "character" are the only words I can think of to describe what I'm talking about.

Well the native algorithms so far haven't been much to write home about. They do the job, but they won't give you the sense of presence or depth that an M7 would.

If you want something from the new wave, check out X-Verb or the PCM Native bundle.