Liberalism, atheism, male sexual exclusivity linked to IQ

Belief = Faith

faith   [feyth]
–noun
confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.
belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.: to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.
a system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.
the obligation of loyalty or fidelity to a person, promise, engagement, etc.: Failure to appear would be breaking faith.
the observance of this obligation; fidelity to one's promise, oath, allegiance, etc.: He was the only one who proved his faith during our recent troubles.
Christian Theology. the trust in God and in His promises as made through Christ and the Scriptures by which humans are justified or saved.

=

be·lieve   [bih-leev] Show IPA verb,-lieved, -liev·ing.
–verb
to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so: Only if one believes in something can one act purposefully.
–verb (used with object)
to have confidence or faith in the truth of (a positive assertion, story, etc.); give credence to.
to have confidence in the assertions of (a person).
to have a conviction that (a person or thing) is, has been, or will be engaged in a given action or involved in a given situation: The fugitive is believed to be headed for the Mexican border.
to suppose or assume; understand (usually fol. by a noun clause): I believe that he has left town.
—Verb phrase
believe in,
a.
to be persuaded of the truth or existence of: to believe in Zoroastrianism; to believe in ghosts.
b.
to have faith in the reliability, honesty, benevolence, etc., of: I can help only if you believe in me.
—Idiom
make believe. make.

Just saying.

Social I know what faith means I just meant in a religious way.

I doubt you know enough about all religions to say that. I mean that with respect, though. You seem you might learn something if you looked into how radically different religions can be.

I know you don't mean anything bad by that, and you're right when you say I don't know enough about all religions but I believe in science it seems more rational, just my opinion though.

I know you don't mean anything bad by that, and you're right when you say I don't know enough about all religions but I believe in science it seems more rational, just my opinion though.

And you should believe in science, it's very good at what it does. But not all religions are theistic or against the principles of/or disagree with science.

So SocialNumb your quote:

"Belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact."

The "proof" of dark matter/energy existing is a "no smoke without fire" argument of the radiation (radiation being the smoke). And frankly that is a huge leap for me to nod like a dog and accept it.

No what I'm saying is I don't believe in the whole general view of there being a higher power (God) And if a religion wasn't theistic then it wouldn't be a religion because the whole definition of religion is;

"a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny; "he lost his faith but not his morality"
an institution to express belief in a divine power; "he was raised in the Baptist religion"; "a member of his own faith contradicted him" I don't believe in either of those things.

No what I'm saying is I don't believe in the whole general view of there being a higher power (God) And if a religion wasn't theistic then it wouldn't be a religion because the whole definition of religion is

"a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny; "he lost his faith but not his morality"
an institution to express belief in a divine power; "he was raised in the Baptist religion"; "a member of his own faith contradicted him" I don't believe in either of those things.

Cite the source of your quotation, because there are religions that don't believe in a god. And they are universally considered religions.

Cite the source of your quotation, because there are religions that don't believe in a god. And they are universally considered religions.

Well I'll be more descriptive, I don't go to church whatsoever so therefore I can't be in any of the religion categories even if some of my views match theirs. I'm still not considered a part of their religion nor am I religious.

Well I'll be more descriptive, I don't go to church whatsoever so therefore I can't be in any of the religion categories even if some of my views match theirs. I'm still not considered a part of their religion nor am I religious.

I'm not sure thats relevant.

Also... not all religious people go to church. And the issue was not on whether you are religious or not. It was that religions don't inherantly have a god involved. And your assertion that they did.

A religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe.

Although, to be honest, even that quote is not entirely true. Scratch the purpose and I'd agree.

Edit: I know of at least one major religion that isn't concerned with cause and purpose of the universe.

I'm not sure thats relevant.

Also... not all religious people go to church. And the issues was not on whether you are religious or not. It was that religions don't inherantly have a god involved.

Although, to be honest, even that quote is not entirely true. Scratch the purpose and I'd agree.
I know it wasn't about if I'm religious or not but I thought you implied in it the post. That's why I said that, I wanted to clarify that I'm not.

I know it wasn't about if I'm religious or not but I thought you implied in it the post. That's why I said that, I wanted to clarify that I'm not.

Oh no, not at all. And thats fine. Just making it known that there are religions that don't follow the idea of gods or unseeable beings of any kind.

Look, 30 years ago I did believe in God because I was a kid. I questioned that and no longer belived.

Just like I question people theorizing the universe is an expanding blast that came from an origin, and not exploding into space because there was no space...Oh wait, there is space that blinks in and out of existance??? Okkaaaay. Sounds feasible.

People have chopped and changed BBT over the years so much it has become a farce.

I don't believe in it because I believe in FRICTION. And I come to the conclusion an informed guess is still a guess when you look at the vastness/complexity of the question.

And there is dogma: BBT people are pretty adamant the universe is ever expanding. That is a stubborn held opinion if you ask me.

Well verified. haha.

You don't believe in a big ban because of FRICTION? I don't understand please explain. What do you think of the Doppler effect of light and redshift? Fritz Zwicky "tired light" isn't a valid argument so please don't quote him. Also, what about the second law of thermodynamics / entropy? What about cosmic microwave background radiation ? Can you explain these phenomena with your disbelief, or do you have data?

Also, what are your scholastic qualifications? Credibility is important especially when we are talking about the origins of the universe. BBT people "scientists" are stubborn because all the data that we have points to a BB. If you have data that is sound and fits the phenomena we see, then as scientist we would could change positions or as you put it "chopped and changed". That is what science is about! However the BB is the closest theory we have to support the data we have retrieved.

I'm sorry but I take more credit in someone who has devoted their life to the subject like Edwin Hubble and the vast number of credible astrophysicist, rather than some random person on a forum about heavy metal. You are in good company, Einstein wanted the universe to be static. However later, Einstein said the cosmological constant was his biggest blunder!

“The Universe does not bend itself to our ignorance.” - Robert J. Schadewald

We are talking about THE BIG question. Not microwaves, electricity etc which all about refinement.

Don't side track this with huge sweeping generalizations on general scientific advancements.

We are talking about THE CREATION OF THE UNIVERSE right now.

Are you telling me that the big bang theory is verified? We can put this to bed now?

The big bang theory IS verified, however, its NOT verified that it was how this universe was created, but it damned sure as hell has happened.
But we all have learned that you need help, dats why we called da amberlamps!

Look, 30 years ago I did believe in God because I was a kid. I questioned that and no longer belived.

If you are a day older then 14, then my name is Jesus and i live in a ROFL-copter!

You don't believe in a big ban because of FRICTION? I don't understand please explain. What do you think of the Doppler effect of light and redshift? Fritz Zwicky "tired light" isn't a valid argument so please don't quote him. Also, what about the second law of thermodynamics / entropy? What about cosmic microwave background radiation ? Can you explain these phenomena?

No I can't. Which is my whole point.

No I can't. Which is my whole point.

Well the BBT explained all of these eloquently.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but your whole point is that you are rejecting a BBT and have no data to back up why you are rejecting it? Before rejecting a theory you have to replace it with an explanation that fits the data we have collected. This is science.

And just to be on topic here, I am

Agnostic
Nether Liberal or Conservative
Have been married 6 years and love it!

Well the BBT explained all of these eloquently.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but your whole point is that you are rejecting a BBT and have no data to back up why you are rejecting it? Before rejecting a theory you have to replace it with and explanation that fits the data we have collected. This is science.

;)

Dark matter detector. Show me one that works and we can talk.

Invisible cosmic "thing" binding everything together is IMO up there with the holy spirit.

Actually, religion trumps BBT science because they don't pay taxes and at least people who believe have the COMFORT of faith. :)

Not 80 years of red faced failure after billions spent trying to take a picture of a ghost.

So to clarify your problem is with Dark Matter, not the BBT. Dark matter is a hypothesis to try explain the expansion. The universe is undeniably expanding! However, again please explain the other phenomena that I have cited related to the BBT and then indeed, we can talk.

;)and at least people who believe have the COMFORT of faith. :)

There is something to say about people who can manipulate their subjective experience to make their life better. If that results at the cost of other peoples happiness though, it isnt so cool. But its worth realising that that isnt an inherant attribute of holding a belief.

But should this belief not be in keeping with reality (everything ends) there belief will cause suffering.