Life&Metal behind the iron curtain ..

Soulflypl has just told me he started a topic that is being surprise to most of forum users, in a positive way of cuz. And I have noticed you guys want more…

So let me tell you my story, I guess soulflypl and HPOE presented you the way of life of people living behind the iron curtain, so Im gonna tell you a little bit about being metalhead 14 years ago…

Guys, please fasten your seatbelts.

I got into heavy metal back in Feb 1990 when I was on my winter holidays camp at the age of 13. There was lots of metalfreaks my age and 2 years older and they were playing that stuff all the time. At that time I have been a huge fan of Jean Michel Jarre who wasn’t in fact a trendy or mainstream artist. Of cuz I respect JMJ and his music so far, but on that winter camp a metalhead was born! I learned classic stuff: Metallica, Maiden, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Testament… Those 2 weeks was the most inspirational time in my entire life as a fan. I lost my metal cherry. Of cuz all those guys told me where were the shops with metal music, I took their advices and went for hunting. Those places wasn’t nice but they had what I needed. Believe or not, they had almost every title of cuz issued illegally, with the copy of front cover and without a booklet of cuz. But there was running time of each track and composers written. Every trip to those shops was very risky: if any older than me metalhead saw someone like me wearing some heavy t-shirt or jeans jacket full of patches (legal ones licensed by Brockum actually were available here in PL!) when I got out with some tapes just bought, those older metalfans were taking me to a test: they asked about name of the band on my t-shirt, their line up, discography, who composed which song, running time of that song…if I mistaken anything they were about to take away my t-shirt, jacket, tapes and kick my ass. But they never did. I was starving of knowledge about any band I listened to. And that tests made me who I am now, not Sunday-type-of-metalfan as we say in Poland… And I wish there was such a time w/out internet for those who just started listening to metal music, we would see who the true one is…

It was obvious that if I started listening to those bands I wanted to get some info about them. On Polish market there was 1 magazine dedicated to rock music, it was monthly but for lots of people it was the most desired thing each month. On public tv or radio rock an metal was totally ignored, but there was 1 exception to that rule: in summer 1990 on 1 radio channel there was a metal show! Believe it or not but it was broadcasted on sunday afternoon and each week the whole LP was presented. That’s how I learned Death (SH), Obituary (SWR & COD), Vio-Lence (OTM), Queensryche (O:MC)…

Short after the summer there was a premiere of Polish Metal Hammer Edition, it showed some changes on the market after iron curtain fallen down. I have each issue till now. I don’t have to say that I wasnt only metalhead in Poland that was happy as hell.
Same time a young Polish band called Acid Drinkers (they are still fans of cheap wine!) put out their debut which was a killer bcuz none of Polish metal bands played like them, I`d even go further: none metal band in the world played so fresh music at the time. They are still one of my favs. Walter, in June you will get all their discography and Im sure you will be wondering how come that band is unknown to the world… Actually soon after debut they were very close to have a deal with Music For Nations but it didn’t work out. Fall 1990 was full of excellent and classic LPs: Souls of black, Seasons in the abyss, Persistence of time, Rust in peace? How could I quit being a metalhead at that time?! I found Lights, Camera, Revolution and the SuiCycoMF was born…

7.jpg
[/IMG]
8.jpg
[/IMG]
10.jpg
[/IMG]

In the end of 1991, there was a big time. First licensed LP has been released by any Polish label. It was Death`s “Human”. I remember when I went to Warsaw and bought that, there was some of my old friends with me, who almost passed out when he saw me paying for that tape almost 4 times more than for usual illegal one. But I knew what I payed for. Uncomparable quality of sound, booklet full of lyrics and all details about that artwork… Since that time I never bought illegal tape or CD, even if Poland has been flooded by ex-Russian illegal CDs sold 5 times cheaper than original ones…

IF YOU GUYS DO NOT MIND, I WOULD LIKE TO ASK YOU, THE U.S. CITIZENS ABOUT YOUR GOVERNMENT`S VISA POLICY AND WHATS YOUR OPINION OVER THIS.

You may not know it but Polish People need to have a visa to pay a visit to your country. Today our President is going to talk about that to your President.
I know that even before the war in Iraq your government said that its impossible to let poles coming to USA w/out visa bcuz there`s 30% of Poles staying in US after their visa is invalid. Your government said that if there will be 10 times less such people, I mean 3%, visa will not bee needed anymore for Polish People. And that`s ok to me.

But when GWB said that US is in the state of war right after 9.11. and attack on Iraq, Poland was the first country that stood behind and gave active support to USA. And IMHO this situation should change the way of thinking and approach towards Polish People. I don’t wan to say nothing more cuz I guess its not needed.

What do you think of it?

PS. WALTER, PLEASE SHOW THIS TOPIC TO GUYS FROM TESTAMENT, DEATH ANGEL AND ANY OF YOUR FRIENDS WHO HAD NO IDEA ABOUT METALHEAD`S AND A REGULAR BREADEATER`S LIFE BEHIND THE IRON CURTAIN.

wow, this thread is so interesting !
its so interesting to read all of this, and to see how people used to get their metal music back then in the Poland of the 80's.
i have many polish and russian friends that moved to israel (i lived there too for many years myself) and i remember hearing their stories about how hard it was for them to get basic things, not to mention, get their own music.
im happy to say that Poland has came a long way since those years, its an amazing country, and those days will forever be a nice memory, or a memory that made you realize how to appreciate things.

a little story of my own...
When i moved to israel, we used to send alot of magazines to our friends in Lebanon and Jordan, where it was forbidden by goverment to have or listen to metal music.
it was 12 years ago, muslim countries like Jordan and Lebanon didnt allow anyone BY LAW to listen to metal music.
crazy isnt it?
people would go to jail for listening to Slayer.

Israel was always a democratic country, so we could get anything, and send it to our friends over there, fold in some another magazine so no one will know what it is... heheh
we sent them cassetes, cds, posters...- everything.
i cant even imagine how it feels like to live in Poland of the 80's or Lebanon/Jordan of the 90's, but im glad i could help fellow metal heads a bit.

one important thing tho: its not like there, nowadays.
i believe teenagers in most muslim countries can play and getn their music freely.

cheers Poland.
:hotjump:

Dead_Lioness said:
it was 12 years ago, muslim countries like Jordan and Lebanon didnt allow anyone BY LAW to listen to metal music.
crazy isnt it?
people would go to jail for listening to Slayer.

one important thing tho: its not like there, nowadays.
i believe teenagers in most muslim countries can play and getn their music freely.

cheers Poland.
:hotjump:

That sounds really horrible - Forbidden by law :erk:
That's REAL shit - 1000% worse than what we got here.

Now it is better ... but still they still can't grab a beer and drink while listening to some metal ...

THX for your post DL, Cheers:wave:

Whoa, another mind expander. The photo that's first in xSuixTommyx's collage says it all. One picture, a thousand words. "You can't bring me down" (ST)...."Yes I can."

Great post! This is underground, truly. The desperation for the music, and craving to know about those who make it. That's dedication to risk having your stuff stolen (or beat up) just to acquire it. Much respect from me for that.

"not Sunday-type-of-metalfan as we say in Poland" <------GOOD ONE! :lol:

PS. WALTER, PLEASE SHOW THIS TOPIC TO GUYS FROM TESTAMENT, DEATH ANGEL AND ANY OF YOUR FRIENDS WHO HAD NO IDEA ABOUT METALHEAD`S AND A REGULAR BREADEATER`S LIFE BEHIND THE IRON CURTAIN.

I shall try..............Nice work!

xSUIxTOMMYx said:
Every trip to those shops was very risky: if any older than me metalhead saw someone like me wearing some heavy t-shirt or jeans jacket full of patches (legal ones licensed by Brockum actually were available here in PL!) when I got out with some tapes just bought, those older metalfans were taking me to a test: they asked about name of the band on my t-shirt, their line up, discography, who composed which song, running time of that song…if I mistaken anything they were about to take away my t-shirt, jacket, tapes and kick my ass. But they never did.

One of the most hated old school metal fan who was teaching yound ones the way I told you, is Mitloff (his nick is connected with MeatLoaf cuz he is that fat and ugly, too) who in fact played was a drummer in Pllish death metal band called HATE that opened for Testament in Warsaw back in 1999 :tickled:

Here`s the guy: http://divx.pl/mike/TRAFFIC/strony/133.htm the one below me :D Now he is a sound engineer in one of the music clubs in Warsaw and he`s been oranizing trips to concerts in Ploland and abroad. What a weird world...

Deadly Embrace said:

I shall try..............Nice work!
This Thread is now on the Death Angel Board..............I know that a few of the DA guys read the board, so I think I fufilled your request...............:)

Thanx Walter, I also threw a post out there. I hope that some men will try to walk in our shoes for a while and won`t treat us like freaks of nature from now on. We are just like anybody else. but had to go through some more shit, for some ppl it may be hard to imagine.

Dead_Lioness said:
where's the death angel board anyway ?

Well DL, it's very obscure and hard to find. Nobody really knows where it is.
The TL board is easy to find. go to testamentlegions.com and click enter
and click interact and click on ultimatemetal.

The DA board is *much*much* harder to find....

go to deathangel.com, and you enter the site and up in the upper right
hand corner there is a menu,the buttons are in red. right underneath
that is a grey bar called 'fan zone' click that.

you get this link:

http://www.deathangel.com/cgi-bin/yabb/yabb.cgi

that's where the DA board is.

Are you sure you're not blonde?:err:

Dead_Lioness said:
oh shut up you :D
i thought it might be on the UM site and i missed it.

$%@#$@#$@$

smart ass.
:Smug:You _so_ love me. :Smug:

I'd rather be a smart ass than a dumb ass and I'd
rather be pissed off than pissed on....:)

UM isn't the only game in town. The Heathen board isn't on UM either,
and neither is the Exo-board and the Vio-board.

sheeeit, you poles think you had it hard? I may currently be the Almighty and Omnipotent Emperor Tharsh but even I came from humbler metallic beginnings...try bumfuck Asia...y'all got Overkill in the 80s even, down south still gets dick-all...

Sheeeeeeeeeeit!

Thrashiq said:
sheeeit, you poles think you had it hard? I may currently be the Almighty and Omnipotent Emperor Tharsh but even I came from humbler metallic beginnings...try bumfuck Asia...y'all got Overkill in the 80s even, down south still gets dick-all...

Sheeeeeeeeeeit!
This wasn't all about metal you couldn't get, dude. Life behind the curtain...from where I sit, they had it pretty fucking hard...