Life, music and all that jazz

Symphony

PQ member
Jan 8, 2002
Southampton, UK
www.power-quest.co.uk
Morning guys.....

Just wanted to share a few thoughts.......I've noticed over the past few years that I'm paying less and less attention to new bands and returning to what inspired me as a youngster growing up. I thought it might make an interesting discussion topic.

As a 42 year old......it's clearly unlikely that I'm going to "look up to" or "want to be" a band who are 15-20 years younger than me. When I was a kid I wanted to be like Iron Maiden, like Deep Purple, like Metallica even but that's because they are "heroes" when you are growing up....and that#s what makes you want to join or start a band in the first place. Nobody young enough to be your kid is going to be a musical hero to you, that's for sure.

With so much music out there from so many different genres, it's impossible to keep a track of it all these days, unlike how it was back in the tape trading days of the mid 1980's.

Similarly the thought of touring in a smelly van or bus for days or weeks is an exciting prospect when you have never done it or have only done it a few times......there's not a lot that's exciting about Travel Lodges on motorway service stations when you are in your 40's, where's my pipe and slippers haha! But that is all about paying your dues....too many bands starting out these days seem to think that you have a god given right to be paid even when you are utterly hopeless. Strange days indeed.........

There is clearly too much technology being used by bands these days as well.....one thing I was proud of with PQ was that in 12 years we never once used any backing tracks for backing vocals or additional keyboards. Everything you heard (apart from the intro tape) was live. Not sure there are many bands who can honestly say that these days. If I want to hear the CD I will listen to the fucking CD.....if I want to see a "live" band then I will go to the show. Simple eh? But not really as these days it's more about the "show" than the actual ability to play

With quite a variety of ages here on the forum....I thought it would be interesting to get a few different perspectives on the whole thing. :kickass:

Interesting. I don't think there's anything wrong with looking up to musicians who are younger than oneself. I'm a 31 year old guitarist and I admire the talents of many younger guitarists. Even just some of the kids on YouTube I find incredibly talented and inspiring. Some of these guys will inevitably become the Iron Maidens and Metallicas of the future. We all have to start somewhere, y'know?

Being 19, as thematt said, I agree and disagree. Most bands I listen too are are not from 2000s. Not saying there are not good guitarists/bands being formed in the last 10 years or so, but I feel alot of them lack originality (from what I see online). As for what you said about overproduction, I agree as well as it takes away some of the feeling of the music. Most the bands I have my found myself listening to are actually from 80s or 90s. Symphony X, Rush, Bolt Thrower, Soundgarden, REM, etc..

Sorry about the jumbled answer. I knew my point, but for whatever reason wasnt sure how to word it, so this may or may not come across as gibberish. :D

I'm not sure there will be bands of the magnitude of Maiden or Metallica in the future...in fact I'm pretty certain of it. I think the last "rock stars" will be those band who pre-date the internet, more specifically the age of the internet being easily accessible to all.

I don't disagree at all about there being some phenomenal young musicians out there.....just look at Andy and Gav for example. But I think the "you tube" thing is all part of my point, I don't really check out new stuff on You Tube or similar.....so maybe another area where perhaps I've been "left behind" for want of a better phrase :)

There's no doubt though that the music that makes an impression on us in our formative years is much more likely to stay with us than later discoveries.

It is weird... I'm 23 and although most of my favorite musicians are in their late 30s to 40s (and some are much older than that), I keep discovering new bands who are closer to my age... sometimes, especially in the prog world somehow, there are people younger than myself who blow me away. I'm not at the point where I feel weird listening to younger artists, especially if they're rock or metal musicians, but I have often wondered if I'll be listening to music when I'm in my 40s the same way I listen to it now. It's weird to try to look into the future like that.

Personally I've found I'm slowly but surely growing out of the fanboy phase of life, following and dissecting every band I fall in love with, memorizing members and the whole story of the band... though there are a couple I still follow religiously such as Stratovarius... Even now, I try to accept music simply for what it is.

I think that's partially a reason I have grown so fond of instrumental music (particularly post-rock) in recent years - there are no lyrics; no words that could 'date' a song, just good instrumentation and an atmosphere which mesmerizes and spellbinds you. That's all I could really want from music and I hope that continues.

I don't want to be an old fuddy-duddy shunning new artists 30 years from now, but I think that is just an inevitability of getting older and watching new generations emerge into their own. And I think it goes both ways - I can't get into a whole lot of classic rock because it's just not my 'thing' and doesn't come from my generation, with certain obvious exceptions.

Very interesting thread and good replies here.

Always an interesting area of discussion I think.

There's no doubt that "fan boy" dwindles as you get older.....would be a little ridiculous if it didn't in a lot of ways I guess.

One of the things that has really driven me to distraction is a Facebook-ism and the concept of "likes". I get so many messages..."Please like my band" etc Surely you shouldn't ask people to "Like" something...if they like it they will "like" it?? Or am I going mad on this Friday morning.

No Steve, you're not mad; and two this Facebook-ism you speak of is very correct. People should reserve their interest on whether* to like or listen to a band - not being kind of "secretly" tricked into liking things they would actually not support. Besides the generation just a few years younger than me can be compared to bandwagoners in sports. LoL

But on a personal aspect, I do seem to get a bit mad at times from the level of stupidity rapidly increasing on the so called internet. I guess we should start studying quotes from our ancestors. Ha! :lol:

Yeah there are so many areas in life these days where people are just led by the power of advertising or similar.

We should always strive to be leaders not followers but sadly the opposite is true.....take the time to form your own opinions, don't just blurt out someone elses ffs!

The sport analogy is an interesting one too......particularly in light of the troubles at Manchester Utd this season. A whole generation of Utd fans will not have experienced being outside the Top 4 and not in the Champions League and yet I read all this "A club like MU deserves to be in the CL". WTF??? Why? Why do they "deserve" it more than Everton or Stoke or Newcastle? Nothing lasts forever people.

The "Glory hunter" phrase has often used in football parlance....but I think players are as guilty now, looking for a move the minute their club isn't doing well and winning. Grow up you overpaid, ungrateful muppets!

I can't fucking stand people who beg for likes on Facebook. Same thing way back with Myspace and bands constantly messaging you to add them or check them out. Ugh. I will like your page if I LIKE the MUSIC... and if the first few times don't work, I obviously am not a fan! It's so annoying.

I agree with what you think, and I don't think I'm the right person to say this since I don't use Facebook, but can you really blame people for trying? Most of us here already agree on the internet being a very big place and with so much (new)music out there, and more being created every day with little means of reaching out to fans, new and old, I kind of get why they do it. I don't think getting "likes" is the way show your music, but I get why people do it. If I had a band with music I'd like to spread I'm quite sure I'd try every possible way of getting it out to people. Even asking for likes;).

There's no way I would be messaging people asking for likes... that's just how I am personally. I just find it annoying and desperate; with all the means of getting music out these days there's no need to bother people personally with messages trying to get a single person to listen or like something. And if I do like them out of pity, it's just that, not because I like the music - so it's meaningless.

There's a guy I know who is a guitarist in an 80s cover band around here. I've never seen them live because I do not like the vast majority of 80s rock, and yet he has tried to get to me like his band page several times. No! Especially if you're only a tribute band for music I dislike.

I think promotion is awesome and necessary but not on a personal level like that - it's like getting junk in your mailbox at home!

Couldn't agree more on the part about background music - thought about it so many times. I often go for walks alone in the evenings doing nothing but listening to music, beacause it's about the only way I can concentrate and get quiet around me while listen.