Life Of Agony - Soul Searching Sun

Djabthrash

Aug 26, 2007
Paris / Montpellier, FRANCE
Listening to it right now...

God that guitar tone is awesome. Sounds like a killer recto tone.

Anybody has some info on the production for this album, especially regarding the guitar tone ?

I just know it was produced by Phil Nicolo and Life Of Agony (i guess Joey Z had a lot of input on production already).

Most likely Recto. I wondered for the longest time what the tone was on "River Runs Red" and it turns out it was a Recto! 1993! Try emailing Joey Z. He has a studio called Method of Groove in Brooklyn. Did Josh Silver do that album as well? He might know.

Joe

LOA - one of the greatest bands EVER... That shit never gets old.

Bobby

If you manage to fall in love with "SSS", then I don't know what will happen when you listen to "River.." or "Ugly". ;)

"Broken Valley" wasn't that bad either but it's time they get their asses moving again. The new DVD looks nice but it's not much different than "River Runs Again" which was great.

Did a euro tour with these guys back in 2003 and his setup was killer.

Got to look at his setup in a bit of detail. guitars were les pauls, not sure what pickups but def not emgs or SD, I'm guessing standard pups. 2 dual rectos powering 4 marshall 1960 cabs (maybe loaded with vc30), 2 his side and 2 over the other side of the stage. And live this was the trick- top cab and bottom cab miced, I think with 609s and then 2 H&K red boxes one from each head so there was 4 signals going into the desk. Out of all the guitar sounds I have heard live from Fear Factory, Hamlet, Mnemic etc etc I was most in blown away by Joeys'. Just pure lovely thick goodness. Brutal shit

Did a euro tour with these guys back in 2003 and his setup was killer.

Got to look at his setup in a bit of detail. guitars were les pauls, not sure what pickups but def not emgs or SD, I'm guessing standard pups. 2 dual rectos powering 4 marshall 1960 cabs (maybe loaded with vc30), 2 his side and 2 over the other side of the stage. And live this was the trick- top cab and bottom cab miced, I think with 609s and then 2 H&K red boxes one from each head so there was 4 signals going into the desk. Out of all the guitar sounds I have heard live from Fear Factory, Hamlet, Mnemic etc etc I was most in blown away by Joeys'. Just pure lovely thick goodness. Brutal shit

thanks for the info !

Also, good to see i'm not the only one that knows about Hamlet :) I remember hearing a killer guitar tone live and on cd from them as well.

I have a guitar magazine lying around somewhere where his set-up is explained, but apart from the Recto + Marshall combo, the only thing I can remember is that he sands down the necks of his Les Pauls for better grip.

he sands down the necks of his Les Pauls for better grip.

Really ? First time i hear about this kind of thing on guitars...

So he rubs the back of his LP neck with sand paper ?

Is there other guys who do the same ?

I find myself thinking that with sweat and strainful playing i wouldn't wish my neck to have a better grip than it has already... o_O

I remember his silver burst les paul had had the paint removed from the neck but he didn't do it. Don't know the details but it was done by a guitar tech. My friend got the same done to his les paul by Jonathon at Feline Guitars in Croydon and basically they oil the back of the neck after removing the paint and I really like the feel of the natural neck, it has the same kinda feel as my peavey wolfgang neck.

Didn't want to imply that it was necessarily himself who sanded it down, just the fact that it is. And I can very much relate to that. I hate painted necks unless it's satin-coat.

Zakk Wylde prefers his Les Pauls unpainted too.

Especially if I sweat heavy I like the unfinished necks better. Used to get blisters way more often in the past with painted necks.

Only have one guitar anymore with a painted neck and that's my Melody Maker. But it doesn't have a clear coat so I can tolerate it.

River Runs Red is my fave of course!

Songs like Underground, Method Of Groove, Words and Music always get me in the mood to thrash it up! We toured with LOA on the Ugly tour and it was really interesting to see the interaction of the band members with one another. Fucking Italians man, we all had a great fucking time on that tour, unfortunately Biohazard had to fuck everything up by filling our trailer with horse shit .... every time I see Even I still give him shit for it!