Life of Agony - Broken Valley

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
So The End just got this in. Anyone heard it yet? Here's THe End's description:

"Life of Agony return with their 2005 studio release with matured songwriting. A little bit of the hard edge is gone....imagine older Life of Agony mixed with Failure, Queens of the Stone Age and a little bit of Muse."

I love Failure, QOTSA is alright. Who the fuck is Muse?

I didn't like Soul Searching Sun too much, but love Ugly and RRR.

Decibel Mag review:

Of all of the failed metal bands to reunite, why Life of Agony? The Brooklyn, NY neo-thrash group produced three albums for Roadrunner in the mid-‘90s before frontman Keith Caputo left to become a singer-songwriter (and, later, a member of the forgettable fetish-industrial band Freax). We won’t even get into the group’s last gasp effort to soldier on with the guy from Ugly Kid Joe on vocals.

Even in their prime, Life of Agony wasn’t exactly setting the metal world on fire. The band’s first album, River Runs Red, stays true to the group’s roots in the New York thrash/hardcore scene, but later efforts veered abruptly to a melodic grunge style that didn’t seem to appeal to, well, anyone. But memories are short, and metal fans elevated LOA to cult status in recent years, as highlighted by a run of surprisingly sold-out concert dates during a 2003 reunion tour.

So now comes the band’s inevitable second chance, this time on a major label. Fans who dismissed the group’s late interest in dirgy, grungy guitar licks and Stone Temple Pilots worship should avoid Broken Valley—this is essentially a really good Velvet Revolver album, with hints of psychedelica, Sabbath and the Beatles floating around. The first single, “Love to Let You Down,” may also be LOA’s finest moment—Caputo channels his inner, post-rehab Scott Weiland when he barks “I’m willing to walk again/ willing to step back into the light” over a great fast-slow-fast song structure that should be recognizable to anyone who’s listened to modern rock radio in the last ten years. The glammy “Last Cigarette” is another winner, thanks to guitarist Joey Z’s awesome, slithery guitar solo that would do Slash proud (yep, more Velvet Revolver-isms).
In the end, however, it’s Caputo who elevates the album above its modern-rock brethren. Sure, he channels/apes all the grunge greats (Cornell, Cobain, Weiland and especially Layne Staley on the Alice in Chains rip “Junk Sick”), but he’s finally, finally, finally developing his own style. On “The Day He Died,” Caputo captures all the grief, franticness and anger of watching his own dad pass away right before him (and thanks to the rather pummeling beat, it’s not some kind of “Dance With My Father” schmaltz). And on the epic title track, Caputo shows off some real range, starting out in a creepy whisper and slowly building up to a rapid-fire wail that he “gave all that he had” while his bandmates channel early Zeppelin.

Don’t get me wrong—there’s a good chunk of filler here (including pretty much the entire middle of the album), and originality isn’t a strong suit for the band. But Broken Valley feels like the breakthrough for a band that’s suffered long enough. Good luck to them, and they deserve all the success that’s bound to follow. As for me, I’m still waiting for that Carnivore reunion.

Ninehertz (???; reviews are exactly in abundance for this one):

This has been a long time coming and there's a certain nervous tension as the disc is placed into the CD player and the speakers begin to push the air. Life of Agony were a part of my musical upbringing and though I don't listen to them as much as I once did, I still hold them up there with my best and favorite. Will this be a bitter dissappointment?

Thank fuck, no!

Fortunately, this album follows the trend of progression shown on their first three releases. Each one being a distinct step forward whilst retaining a quintessential Life Of Agony sound. This is Life Of Agony circa 2005 and it's cool. They haven't fallen for either of the comeback cliches. There's no sad ass return to thier roots "we've always been hardcore man!" and no lame attempt to jump a current trend. No Nu-, no Scremo, no emo, no Metalcore just Life of Agony.

The opening section of the album is certainly the strongest after a few listens. The first track 'Love to let You Down' comes straight at you. The first line "Willing to start again, willing to give another try". Spot on. Keith Caputto's voice, that familiar guitar sound, that certain vibe; it's Life Of Agony alright but, there's a freshness to it also, a newness.

Next track 'Last Cigarette' has a nice chugging riff in a Queens Of The Stone Age kind of style. Fast, upbeat and groovy with some nice guitar breaks. Third track 'Wicked Ways' certainly has an 'Ugly' era vibe to it. A slow grinding riff leads the tune on into each chorus in which Capputo drawls 'Should have known what those wolves had wanted' while Joey Z's guitar wails in the background. Nice!

There are familiar sounds and themes throughout, 'River Runs Red' style riffage, 'Soul Searching Sun' style choruses and 'Ugly' era lyrics. There is plenty to enjoy here for fans of the earlier stuff, and new comers alike and this album is probably capable of winning them a few new fans.

There are a few minor cases of dodgy lyrics and some slower numbers ('No One Survives', 'Justified', 'Broken Valley') that change the pace towards the end. The slower numbers aren't bad songs, but they do seem a little out of place after the storming first half.

The expectations of many long-term fans (like myself) are undoubtedly high and this will probably never be good enough for some. But, overall this really is a great album and I'd certainly recommend it for the open minded Life Of Agony fan and the new comer alike.

I should really pick this up since I've been a fan for-freakin-ever. Didn't like Chode Searching Sun, but never gave it much of a chance. River Runs Red is incredible, and I just recently realized that Ugly is one of the best albums the 90's produced.

I've always found Caputo's vocals extremely distinctive, I don't know what that one dude is talking about.

Yeah, Caputo is instantly recognizable. I might pick this up, but I don't want another SSS. I liked maybe two songs on that one.

Ugly is massively under-appreciated.

nice review, that one. I'll probably pick this up tomorrow, it seems Best Buy has it for $9.99, cheaper than The End

I loved "River Runs Red" back in the day, and when I heard "Love to Let You Down" I thought this would be a disc I would really enjoy. However, about six tracks in, I gave up. I doubt I'll bother to revisit this, as it didn't strike as music that needed a few spins to be absorbed. As the first review you posted said, there's a lot of filler and not much originality.

Zod

This actually isn't bad at all. It's mostly similar to Ugly, with a few of the softer leanings of SSS. Thankfully, Caputo got his balls back.

However, this has almost nothing to do with River Runs Red. A few of the riffs have that doomcore sound of their debut.

Yeah, I didn't hear much similarity to RRR either. Perhaps I should give Ugly another chance...I guess I was looking for an album of the same caliber as RRR. I don't think there will ever be another riff-monster like that one.

nah, the band just doesn't have another RRR in them. A shame really, since the band was on to something wholly unique. I mean, a doomcore band? Unheard of in 1994.

And Caputo's vocals were amazing. Sounding nothing like a trad -core screamer, he brought soul and sadness with his clean vocals. I love that album.

Ugly took me 8 years to get into, so I would suggest you keep trying. Unless it's been that long already. :p

Nah, more like 4. :)

And J. I agree. Caputo's vocals on that album are unparalleled. They really were onto something. And back then, the -core suffix meant some serious shit. Not fucking Bleeding Through. :puke:

yeah, back then the NYHC scene was something to be proud of. Even RCers with current questionable tastes like lurch and General Zod liked that album, so that says something. ;)

The only band I can think of that comes close to RRR in sound is Type O Negative's "Slow, Deep, and Hard". And RRR is much stronger.

Yeah it's like "dark hardcore" or something, very interesting stuff that crossed all kinds of borders and kicked all kinds of ass.