Limited Editions. Yes Or No?

Draehl

Lurker
May 31, 2004
Atlanta 'burbs
Do you agree with limited edition releases?

I thought I'd pose this question as its been on my mind while I (continually) debate with myself whether to start collecting vinyl or not. Personally, I can appreciate special edition artwork, box sets, and other extras such as "the making of" videos and other similar types of bonuses only for dedicated fans who scoop them up quickly upon release.

What I really get a bad vibe from, however, is music that is only on special/limited edition releases that cannot be found anywhere else. The example that has been driving a buddy and me crazy is "Sea of Spears" by The Sword, which is only available on a limited edition vinyl split or rare Japanese release of the album. Sure, you can download it and I have, but for fans willing to pay for a new product directly from an artist you would think it's a win/win to re-release this sort of material.

The below meme sums up my thoughts.

shut-up-and-take-my-money2.jpg

Yes and no.

I think the album should be the album and you should get all the proper tracks. Period. But a limited edition that has extra artwork or a bunch of demos, re-recordings, or live tracks? Absolutely! I'm a HUGE fan of that.

different coloured vinyls and such is one thing but all of these "Die Hard" editions and thousands of different versions of albums when they get reissued is ridiculous. music should not be the same as fucking trading cards.

For cds, I never bother with special editions, unless they're digibooks, which I like. I actually usually go with the cheapest cd versions I can find because I realistically dont give a shit about a "making of" bonus video or even live recordings for the most part.

For vinyl, I'm getting the vinyl for pretty much sheer collecting factor, as I always own the cds and make my own mp3s, so I always try to get the rarest possible or at least one that looks really cool. Standard black unlimited press vinyl is last resort.

I actually usually go with the cheapest cd versions I can find because I realistically dont give a shit about a "making of" bonus video or even live recordings for the most part.

This. Demo tracks, live tracks, be-bop remixes, I don't need that shit. Just give me the songs, CD, lyric booklet, etc. I don't need a special book edition in a DVD case with the drummer's toe jam.

Bands just need to make the damn music available for tangible purchase. It's that simple.

What really irks me is when bands/labels do the limited to 1000 and then dipshits who want to rip off everyone else buy 5 of them just to sell on eBay once it's sold out. Admit it, some of you do it.

Legit vinyl distros limit to one per customer.

And it's not 1000 any more. Nuclear blast and Rise Above limit vinyl variants to like 200-300 copies each and usually 100-200 Die hards.

I don't buy vinyl. But I'm sure not gonna be an asshole that buys one just to sell at a premium a month later. I'm not saying you do, btw.

yes and no

when they re-release a classic record and include a bonus disc then hellyeah, often though the vinyl print doesn't have anything extra wwich sucks. The LP's should also come with bonus discs

when a new album comes out and they advertise bonus tracks on a Japanese edition or the walmart edition or something that's ridiculously unfair. and they wonder why people download... just let me buy the whole record without feeling I'm missing something

I just realized how full of shit I am considering I don't buy physical media whatsoever, and get nearly all of my music through Spotify.

When I buy CD's I's usually go for the limited edition, as most of the time it's only a few bucks more for the extra material.

Admittedly sometimes the extra material isn't that great, but I especially like "making of" DVD's and the like that are often included.

Well when I go for CDs, I want to but the most limited edition realistically possible. If I don't have a special edition, then it pisses me off because I am missing out on bonus tracks or a "making-of" DVD or something.

When it comes to vinyl, I want super-limited shit :kickass:

limited editions can fuck off for the most part. "die hard" versions of albums usually just contain a shittier mix of the songs already on the album or live versions. every now and then there are killer box sets like The Crypt's Crypt of Kerberos and Uncanny releases. i couldn't care less about colored/spatter vinyl although i do own a few.

The ones that piss me off are when there's like SIX VERSIONS of the limited editions. Look, just make two. Make one for people who just want the music, and one with some extra shit. Don't be an asshole and start making people buy the same shit multiple times.

I've just began record collecting and i already know i'm going to have an affinity with colored vinyls/hand numbered shit.

I've been collection a lot of vinyl lately and will continue to do so almost exclusively. Limited edition vinyl is cool as shit. Hell vinyl in general is just awesome. Huge artwork, different masters, special colored discs. Awesome.

As far as CDs I've never cared about special editions. I actually hate bonus track for the most part since 9 times out of 10 they are some shitty live recording or something. I'll just take the 8 dollar version of the regular album please.

I think the hard part for me is going to be deciding what i want to play and what i want to keep in near perfect condition

I just purchase what I can get my hands on. I usually go for the Die-Hards because I like having extra shit like patches, special liner notes, etc. I don't really care about colored vinyl either. I heard that the color vinyls deteriorate faster or don't sound as good as regular black vinyl? Whatever, I don't really care.