Limiters, where to put?

how should the spectrum analyzer look like?

Like this

Axis-Spectrum-Analyzer-w300-1027.jpg

:)
Sorry but it's very hard to say how your song should look like on a spectrum analyzer. It depends on genré, song, tracks, sound etc,etc.

also...
Limiters don't necessarily needs to go last.
Sometimes it can work to put them before the compressor on snares and kicks. use the limiter to even out the dynamics abd the compressor to bring them back.

:)

how does a compressor bring the dynamics back?

Sorry.
Maybe "bring back" is a false statement. But if you even out the transients from a snare with a limiter. Then you have a kind of flat snarehit left.
And if you strap on a compressor you can use the attack time to carve out a "fake" transient from the limited snare.

Sorry.
Maybe "bring back" is a false statement. But if you even out the transients from a snare with a limiter. Then you have a kind of flat snarehit left.
And if you strap on a compressor you can use the attack time to carve out a "fake" transient from the limited snare.

yeah it does make sense now that you explain it, like you kill the natural transient and then pretty much shape up your own transient after the limiter right?

yeah it does make sense now that you explain it, like you kill the natural transient and then pretty much shape up your own transient after the limiter right?

better off using a clipper or if you want to do that use a transient designer. or a sample... that to me sounds like you would have a really fake snare sound with that technique?

I generally use limiters on vocals, clean guitars, and the bass guitar...really anything that has a lot of quick dynamics and needs some serious taming to sit in a mix, but it's generally a small amount, in conjunction with other stages of compression. A lot of times with clean guitars it's very effective to shave off just the top few decibels of a signal with the limiter first, to lessen the impact of a compressor that's next in line (especially when you want a quicker attack). The same general principle is generally true on any source, though...that is, when there's a lot of dynamic taming to be done, spread it out over a few different tools instead of slamming only one. You can sometimes slam a limiter if you want to achieve a certain kind of coloration, but otherwise it's a tool to use in moderation. I generally never put a limiter on the master bus, except temporarily in order to mix through it. Actually, I recently rediscovered how much I like the sound of the Finalizer (which has a limiting stage), and it's really helpful mixing into it, basically for getting a mix to endure it and stay punchy.

better off using a clipper or if you want to do that use a transient designer. or a sample... that to me sounds like you would have a really fake snare sound with that technique?

Yeah it sounds flat. You never get the real transient back. But on a paralell compression buss it works well.

I use limiters mostly on Bass, bass drum and on the master chain.

But they can be used anywhere else =O