limits in music to listen to

Oct 25, 2002
Italy
www.code666.net
due to some posts on this forum, I'm really curious about limits you face in approaching a new band or record to listen at...
I mean there's something able to let you decide: I won't listen to this one?
In specific, do you think it's better to try some new kind of music even if distant from your usual tastes or to remain inside the same scene or sound (you are sure will match your preferences)?

Well, I've pretty tried every genre at one point, so I know what I like and don't like. I've tried:

the Good: Black metal, death metal, stoner rock, doom
the Bad: hardcore, metalcore, power metal
and the ugly: noisecore, industrial.

For me to try one of the genres I dislike, a band really has to bring something special to the table. For example, the only hardcore band I can listen to is The Great Deceiver. THey bring a fresh death metal-ish approach to hardcore.

I'm trying to get into noisecore, but it's a slow process.

Being 32 years old, I already went through my "i only listen to this type of music" period when I was in High School about 15 years ago.

Since then I listen to everything from Black/Death/Thrash Metal to Rap and Jazz.

The way I look at music is, if it "talks" to me personally in some way ... I listen to it. This could be in the lyrics of the song or the mood of the song in general.

One of my all time favorite bands is the THE EAGLES ... to me the unbelieavable lyrics combined with the harmonies and the musicianship makes their music timeless and transcending (I think I have been reading Negura Bunget's website too much :) )

But on the other hand I listen to DESTRUCTION and BURZUM for the sheer intensity of the music.

It all depends on my mood ...

My listening in the previous 3-4 months:

20% black metal: the new satyricon, red harvest, void, frost, Thorns...

20%: old stuff: possessed, Soothsayer (hey guys in USA... nobody remember this cult band... I adore theri "TO BE A REAL TERRORIST"), Puelso alto (Bra), DRI, the old Ratos de Porao, Destruction, Dark Throne, old Beherit, Sarcofago and WINDS OF THE BLACK MOUNTAINS

20% relaxing psychedelick space rock/rock/hm: Porcupine Tree, Ozric Tentacles and other stuff like Mina (space rock band... not the italian bitch!!), Doors, Black Sabbath, Wasp, Ozzy and sometimes old stuff from Frank Zappa...

40% total mind-crushin/eyes poppin' violence: trance, goa, hard house, powernoize, hard-industrial:
Feindflug, Hocico, Calva y Nada, Werido, Torture Garden III+IV, Neurobiotic, Dj Thing, Allen TG, Dj Biomekanika (Japan), Dj Andy Farley, Tidy vol III, "If ya love me hurt me" III... and many others...

malfeitor ov Aborym

ehm, this seems to me a nonsense question or nonsense thread, but I understand that for some people this could be a good way to understand that all the "so called" music-styles are senseless definitions, created by labels just to sell albums, Good Music is NOT a style, not an attitude, not a Look, not a trend, not a scene, not a Country, not a colour, not a race, not a format, not a Marketable Product, good music is just Good Music, and I like it.

of course, I agree with you and this was my idea of an answer.
the reason for this topic lies in some posts (I saw in many different forums) that drove me to think this was the right question to ask!
I mean, are we just a bunch of few deviated minds to believe in a non "scene-based" world? ;)

Unfortunately, "scenes" are a big part of music. They pop up anywhere and everywhere. If people become part of a so-called scene, they tend to be closed to new music. I have never been part of a scene. Where I live, there are no scenes. In fact, there are no metal concerts, no metal stores, no metal anything. I find out about any and all metal through the internet and magazines.

Everybody can appriciate a certain type, style, or sound in music. People then become accustomed to that type, style, or sound. Even though we don't like to admit it, most of us can think of a certain "scene" or "genre" in metal that we like the most. When I pick my album of the year, 9 times out of 10 it will probably be something of the noisey, sick, chaotic variety (Today is the Day 'Sadness will Prevail' for 2002). I love a ton of other music, but the music I consider the best is usually of this more innovative (in my opinion) variety.

But . . . back to the original question . . . I don't have limits in what I like. If it moves me, I will accept it.

I want everyone here to read ISTEN. Purchase their latest (and last?) #100 from www.isten.net. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. The scene is dead. Do it. Do it etc. ISTEN is the New Book of Revelations. Other than that, I must say I feel CRED is a part of the package I purchase when getting music. I mean: what does Motörhead, Darkthrone and Massive Attack have that... eh, let's not name names -others don't have. I say: Credibility. I believe in their heart for the music... Silly-looking Spanish (or where-ever) facepainters with Norwegian songtitles and attitude-problems don't do it for me... Even though, I may be missing some great albums by this little hang-up - I really don't care.

Originally posted by npearce
Unfortunately, "scenes" are a big part of music. They pop up anywhere and everywhere. If people become part of a so-called scene, they tend to be closed to new music.

I believe it depends on the scene.. Lots of metal fans are not open to other types of music and take an elitist stance towards fans of any other genre of music, and even other metalheads. However, in some scenes eclecticism is a vital part of the music so the same does not occur - for example, world music. If you are very into world music there are a plethora of different styles involved so being unadventurous in your tastes is not an option..

But anyway, I'm strongly of the opinion if the music is well-written, and I respect it, it's good and I'll listen to it :) If it isn't then I won't..

Originally posted by Dreamlord
For me to try one of the genres I dislike, a band really has to bring something special to the table.

I agree with dreamlord on this one.

Basically I'll stick to what i find interesting and stimulating. However, if that means I'll enjoy something in another genre i'm not that familiar with, so be it. Seeing as how I keep switching what I like, it's more about what I like at the time than anything else. What I thought I hated a year ago might speak to me now. Hell, there was once a time many years ago that I really didn't like growling throughout a whole song.

well, I must admit I posted this topic in the wrong forum as most of you looks to completely agree with my position.....
this prove that we are not so few deviated minds and that a better attitude is growing nowadays.
unlucky, I can't say this for most of the portals I visited!:cry:

nowadays playing:
neurosis: a sun that never sets
laibach: live 1983
burnt by the sun: soundtrack for the personal revolution
zao: selftitled
primordial: storm before calm
bad sector: dolmen factory
converge: jane doe
Thyrfing: Vansinnesvisor
refused: shape of punk to come
red harvest: sic(k) transit gloria mundi