Has your taste in music changed in 12 months?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Over the last 12 months, have your tastes in music changed at all? Or are they consistent to what you've always been listening to?

Has the new music taken over the old? Or do you just have more to enjoy & listen to now?

I'm curious to see how aggressively our tastes can change when you consider 12 months not being a long time at all. And it makes me wonder what I'll be listening to this time next year....

Whether it be 12 months ago, or 12 years ago, I listen to death metal, thrash metal, and your standard traditional metal (Maiden, Priest). That hasn't changed in a very long time, and I don't see a day where that does change. I'm of the opinion that I've heard it all, I know what I like, I know what I don't like, and I'm perfectly content with that.

Yeah, new bands come along all the time, and the standard ones remain. And there are phases that I go through where I only want to listen to very specific styles, but they generally always fall under these genres.

I've been listening to much more black metal than I ever have lately, but that's about it. I've been concentrating on underground metal more than other genres lately though.

In the age of internet, is there really such a thing as the underground anymore? What defines it, being unsigned? I'm asking because I'm honestly not sure what you mean by it, and that I don't think I ever differentiate something I listen to from being 'underground' or not. Or maybe I don't listen to any of it... :)

Underground = whatever I listen to in my basement. :)

It's just a term I toss around now, pretty much referring to any band that isn't overtly mainstream. I know that isn't quite proper, but I hate playing genre wars anyhow.

My tastes have changed drastically over the past 12 months, mostly thanks to npearce. He rekindled my love for the -core genres, which I had basically left behind.

I was heavily into death metal, and some black and doom metal. I think it's safe to say that I had pretty much explored 95% of what these genres have to offer. Then npearce convinced me to check out Today is the Day, and then my curiosity and enthusiasm for like-minded bands grew. Today, I have around 120 CDs of -core bands and that number keeps growing.

Lately I've been more into the more grind and sludge bands like Brutal Truth, Eyehategod, Cephalic Carnage and various Willowtip bands.

NAD said:
It's just a term I toss around now, pretty much referring to any band that isn't overtly mainstream. I know that isn't quite proper, but I hate playing genre wars anyhow.
I know what you mean by underground NAD: you've taken your King Crimson, A Perfect Circle, Jerry Cantrell, Type O Negative goodies and added in the Negura Bunget, Mayhem, Emperor, and Helheim baddies.

For me, I've really grown an affection for dark and black metal: Empyrium, Negura Bunget, old Ulver, old Emperor, Nokturnal Mortum, Manes, etc.

If I really had to pick one new band that stopped me in my tracks, it would be Negura Bunget. It was one of those things where I went and got their whole collection in one haul. Empyrium second.

Nothing else has changed that drastically: death and viking metal is still hit and miss with me, as it always was.

Power Metal: those few bands still spark an interest (Edguy, Nevermore, Evergrey), and Melo-Death metal I can live without forever now. I don't need anymore of that whatsoever.

The traditional stuff just cannot die, however, just because I can't dismiss the style I grew up on. I mean, the new King Diamond gets played pretty loud around these parts, heh.

I'm probably more of a Judas Priest fan than an Iron Maiden fan now...I just won't let myself admit it :p

I think if anything I've mellowed out a bit and listened to more wimpy music...though that's only really been happening over the last two months. I now have an inkling of underground music...and listen to a weeny bit of NSBM :p

I don't think my tastes have changed too significantly in 2003, if anything I'm continuing to explore the dark and experimental side of metal, preferably those who incorporate progressive elements...

..and I agree, the internet has made the term underground essentially meaningless.

This is kinda minor, but still a change. A year ago I couldn't stand Glen Benton, and even when I first got the new Vital Remains I couldn't stand it mostly because of him... but after several months now I've grown to like his vocals enough to go through Deicide's back catalogue. I'll probably still avoid Once Upon the Cross though, as the album that made me dislike them to begin with. :)

I'm dipping my toe a little deeper into the waters of extreme Metal (though probably not extreme to some). Before this year, Opeth and Dark Tranquillity were as heavy as I got. This year, I've found myself enjoying:

Dimmu Borgir's "Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia" - my first foray into Black Metal, though I'm sure some will say that Dimmu isn't Black.

Amon Amarth's "vs. The World" - the first CD on the Brutal side of the Death Metal fence that I really enjoyed.

Enslaved's "Below the Lights" - heard a sound clip or two that I really liked, and it sounded promising enough to purchase at the low, low price of $9. The CD has yet to arrive.

God Dethroned's "Ravenous" - I usually stay away from the "I Hate Jesus" bands. But I really got sucked in by a few tracks on this disc.

I've been listening to Vital Remains' "Dechritianize" over the last few days and will probably pick it up at some point in the future.

GZ

I used to like melodeath and 'mainstream' black metal bands . They bored me suddenly , and then I searched for new bands in black / folk . Recently discovered bands like Primordial , Agalloch , Empyrium ..
I also listen more often to Septic Flesh , Nokturnal Mortum , Ulver , Obtained Enslavement , Solefald , Elend , Dredg , In The Woods... and so on..
I think my tastes won't change in the future months .

Awesome and unique band . Get Witchcraft (good luck ..) and Soulblight . (
I'm still searching for the original 'Witchcraft' record :/ )

Their first 'Centuries Of Sorrow' is raw black and their last 'The Shepherd And The Hounds Of Hell' is 'clean' black metal ala At The Heart Of Winter (in fact it's far better :) )

I heard they splitted . Never checked ..

due to my loathing of most metal releases this year... I've found myself immersing myself in the music of Sting, The Police, Roxy Music, etc...

I've also been rediscovering my 70's prog collection. Especially Gentle Giant.

NAD said:
This is kinda minor, but still a change. A year ago I couldn't stand Glen Benton, and even when I first got the new Vital Remains I couldn't stand it mostly because of him... but after several months now I've grown to like his vocals enough to go through Deicide's back catalogue. I'll probably still avoid Once Upon the Cross though, as the album that made me dislike them to begin with. :)
I think each album has merit, but the first two should definitely be at the top of your list to check out. The self titled debut is a sentimental favorite and an all time classic death metal album, and Legion is a fucking masterpiece.