The evolution of musical taste.

If someone's musical taste never changes, that's cool. If someone has deep, valid reasons for liking a band I dislike, that's cool too. My musical taste has undergone changes. After listening to cock rock crap in the late 80s, I got into thrash, and then death metal was my fav genre for many years. My second year of college I got into a big metalcore phase for five years due to a friend of mine who was big into hardcore. Nowadays death metal has once again been my favorite genre for a while, though I am also really into black metal and listen to as much black metal as death metal.

I agree. I don't think anyone should ever have to 'expand' their tastes if they just damn well don't feel like it. It's a common misconception that settling into a niche is the same as stagnation. The other thing that bugs me is the utter hypocrisy regarding taste. I honestly hate Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera. I can't stand their music, image, and their lack of functioning cerebrums. Yet, they have fans, and as inconceivable as it may be to me, they like that kind of music. True, some of them simply know no better and will gradually break free and discover other styles...but who am I to dictate their taste as inferior to mine or anyone else's if that is what makes them happy.

Caelum Adustum made an excellent point regarding taste evolution by comparing the art listeners and entertainment listeners. In the long run, it truly makes no difference...because those in an artistic mindset who are listening to the music for more than thrills and for a deeper, more spiritual or psychological meaning are perfectly entiled to find that niche and settle in. There will always be a favorite band or song that fully satisfies everything one is looking for. When that is found, the search will stop. It should, anyway. Until then, people can 'evolve' their tastes as much as they want. Just remember that evolution is relative to oneself, and not to others' tastes or desires when subjecting themselves to musical listening, be it for entertainment or an artistic motive.

I don't believe the search for new music will ever end for me. No matter how many times I've found a band that I believe contains everything I've ever wanted in music, something will eventually surprise me and remind me that there's always another step, always something more out there. Once, I thought Opeth was it. For a while it was Katatonia. I still have a lot of respect for these bands, but they can't hold my attention forever.

Even within metal, I believe there is enough to keep one searching/expanding one's tastes for an infinite extension of time, especially with new releases occurring all the time. I don't judge people based on their tastes, based on their reasons for listening to music, or whatever. I'm not even sure why I listen to music. Saying that it's either art or entertainment is one of those uselessly binary "western dualisms" that we should be trying to avoid. Everyone's reason is intensely personal, and I don't think we can really understand them.

IAmEternal said:
No matter how many times I've found a band that I believe contains everything I've ever wanted in music, something will eventually surprise me and remind me that there's always another step, always something more out there.

Well put.

IAmEternal said:
No matter how many times I've found a band that I believe contains everything I've ever wanted in music, something will eventually surprise me and remind me that there's always another step, always something more out there.
Well, if that's what you feel is necessary for satisfaction, more power to ya.