Hi. I'm new here and am currently trying to expand my taste in metal.

Terminus Est

Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
Okay well first of all, hey. Over the past few months I have been a sort of newcomer to the heavy metal genere. I really do not know exactly what sparked an interest in this kind of music, but the band that I have most currently revolved around was Iron Maiden. Yeah they've been around since the early 80s but I am still captivated by many of their good songs. Their album I have gotten most into was Brave New World, which is their latest one, because well they seem to really show their maturity and experience in their whole career. But hey I do like some of their older stuff.

I have also gotten well into music by Anathema, also more into their more recent albums. I like much of their stuff. It touches my heart and reminds me of deep feelings I have felt inside of me during certain experiences I had in life. Anathema music as it turned out to me, has alot of emotion and it fits me because I often tend to be self-absorbed on certain outlooks on life.

I have also been trying to appreciate music from bands such as the Swedish In Flames, and Blind Guardian, but couldn't seem to get into their much of their work. Ah but well I did find one In Flames song that I found rather powerful, and that was Colony. The instrumentals of that song simply took me for a ride. Same thing with Valhalla, which is an old song by Blind Guardian. I don't know how my brain got to appreciate these songs.

So based on what I said so far, what would you reccomend for me? Is there anyone similar to Maiden or Anathema? Or any song I might find as stimulating as Colony or Valhalla? Like I said, I'm trying to expand my taste. I get all my music using KaZaA, the official successor to Napster. So I don't have any problems of buying music.

If you like newer Anathema, I'd suggest checking out some of the newer My Dying Bride releases and everything by Katatonia after the Sounds of Decay album.

If you liked old school Blind Guardian, you should try Testament, Slayer - "Show No Mercy", Judas Priest - "Painkiller", Iced Earth, and Demons and Wizards. And just some other bands I think you should try.. umm.. let's see. Death, Control Denied, Vintersorg, Dissection, then some classics like, Kreator, Voivod, Metallica's first four albums, and everthing before Countdown To Extinction by Megadeth.

Thanks for the suggestions, Sonnenritter, and Immortaldemon. I appreciate you but however it should be taken into consideration that I'm not at all too fond of Satanism in music.

I do sort of like a bit of My Dying Bride, but I'm still skeptical on their lyrics. I am trying some Vintersorg and Opeth already. As for the rest you mentioned, I havn't dug into them as of yet.

try

Children of Bodom
Novembers Doom
Amon Amarth
Soilwork
Dimension Zero
Sentenced
Daylight Dies
Dark Tranquillity
Kalmah
Morgion

Hmm, have to think about that. But like I said in my previous post, I am not at all too fond of Satanism and stuff like that in songs. It's not that I'm Christian or anything, it's just that I think Satanism, and anything that talks about killing and suicide, et cetera makes me feel nasty. So I gotta be real picky in what to listen. Many of Maiden's and Anathema's music doesn't have this, and therefore I found it to be good shampoo for my brain.

You should get some Squash Bowels!

Don't really understand what you said there. Please elaborate. To the best of my shallow understanding of what you said, there is nothing wrong with my bowels.;)

Yeah I understand Satanism isn't about killing and suicide, but I realize it has to do with hating, disliking, and/or dishonoring yourself, and no I don't want to be like that.

It sounds to me like you enjoy music with alot of talent? Am i right? Ok then you should listin to a band called Syphony X also try a band called Tristania, there are alot of good bands in metal
basicly there are three types of metal most common

they are

Death Metal
(very fast and tech oreinted music, highlest in this genre are Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Bruitality, Vader, est)

Traditional / Power Metal

Alot like Iron Madien some other bands to listin to are Syph X like i said, Blind Gaurdian (one of the best) Jag Panzer, Dio, est..

and Black Metal/ Thrash

(fast passed metal with very fast riffing*) Stuff like Testament, Dark Throne, Abigor, Slayer, Immortal

* There is also Syphonic black metal like Emperor and Bal Sagath.

Agalloch
Older Ulver
Katatonia
Empyrium
Scholomance
Epoch Of Unlight
Opeth
In Flames
Maudlin Of The Well

Well, that should keep you busy. I don't think any of these are really Satanic, so enjoy.

BTW, I suggest you get on the UM Hub if you expect to find any of these. You will not find most any of the bands that I or anyone else has mentioned on Kazaa, trust me. ;)

Originally posted by Furious B
Agalloch
Older Ulver
Katatonia
Empyrium
Scholomance
Epoch Of Unlight
Opeth
In Flames
Maudlin Of The Well

Well, that should keep you busy. I don't think any of these are really Satanic, so enjoy.

BTW, I suggest you get on the UM Hub if you expect to find any of these. You will not find most any of the bands that I or anyone else has mentioned on Kazaa, trust me. ;)

What is this UM Hub you speak of, I have Kazaa and can't find a lot of songs I can find a lot of the bigger metal bands but nothing very underground.

The UM Hub is just a place to share alot of music with people. It's mostly people from Ultimate Metal, so finding metal is no problem. I'll find it for you in a second.

nergal_S,

Well I have been trying Symphony X and already have 5 songs from them, but I havn't gotten into them. Still is there any music from that group that you'd reccomend for me?

Furious_B,

I'll try those bands and I see that In Flames is on your list. Besides Colony, are there other In Flames songs in which they show alot talent? I heard that that their new Reroute to Remain album really wasn't that good.

I'd like to try the UM hub myself if you can pull it up for me.

Originally posted by Terminus Est

I'll try those bands and I see that In Flames is on your list. Besides Colony, are there other In Flames songs in which they show alot talent?

Get "The Jester Race" or die. ;)

Alright, just go the public hubs section. There you will see a "filter" bar and a "manual connect address" bar. Paste " paladin.sublevels.net " into the manual connect address bar and you should be all set. :)