Trying Something New in Metal

Carter Felder

New Metal Member
Jun 10, 2009
Orlando, FL
Disciplining yourself to compose original music today is very difficult. It's so easy to be influenced by other bands and specific styles. For example, when I compose music, I try to express my emotions in my compositions the best way I can, but I always notice myself using things that other bands have done. My ultimate goal is to create music that doesn't involve any use of things that have been done before. Using the open low E string for chugging and rhythm is something I do, and has been done before. It would be difficult to not use something like this and create the power I'm trying to create without it.

I find myself getting very tired of listening to bands that do the same thing for every album and use a lot of repetition. But I realize that repetition is of course acceptable if the melodies are very well written and memorable.

There are many experimental bands out there of course, but their music doesn't appeal to me. Many bands do something different, but their music still has noticeable influences. Think of a classical composer like Shoenberg, he used the 12-tone scale in a way that was very influential and interesting (in my opinion).

What are everyone's thoughts?o_O

Of course innovation is an important field to an excellent record. You'll find there are a lot of very unique bands out there that've done some bizarre things.

I have the same problem when composing music for my band. I find it useful to observe other acts and try to stem off their theories. There's nothing wrong with influence.

I compose ambient and experimental electronica. I listen to almost none of the music in the genre so as not to be influenced by it.

Think of a band like The Faceless, does anyone agree that their influences are way too noticeable? After the Burial I think is one of the worst bands in terms of influence, they draw cheap copies of Meshuggah's style, and their recordings are strangely awful.