Hi. I'm new here and am currently trying to expand my taste in metal.

First thing you need to know is that it takes time to get into a lot of bands, especially black/death/doom/melodic bands, at least in my experience, so you should have some patience :) ... And also, it fucking pisses me off when people talk about Satanism and don't really even know what their talking about, so visit the Church of Satan website and read about their principles with an open mind, or don't criticise/judge Satanism, as your way off... anyway, here's some bands I'd recommend - Katatonia, Judas Priest, Iced Earth, Nevermore, My Dying Bride, Opeth, Death, Control Denied, Down and Arch Enemy... \m/

And also, it fucking pisses me off when people talk about Satanism and don't really even know what their talking about, so visit the Church of Satan website and read about their principles with an open mind

*scratches head*

Hmm, I don't understand. I have my own cons about going to that website. What's so special/glamorous/ethical about worshiping Satan anyway? It always seemed to me like it just screws up one's mind in all sorts of ways and...

...wait, well tell me something I don't know then.

Based on what you said you may like some of the following:
My Dying Bride
Chalice
Avrigus
Katatonia
Nightwish
Therion
Stratovarius
Sonata Arctica
Paradise Lost
Arch Enemy
Opeth

Originally posted by Terminus Est
Hmm, have to think about that. But like I said in my previous post, I am not at all too fond of Satanism and stuff like that in songs. It's not that I'm Christian or anything, it's just that I think Satanism, and anything that talks about killing and suicide, et cetera makes me feel nasty. So I gotta be real picky in what to listen. Many of Maiden's and Anathema's music doesn't have this, and therefore I found it to be good shampoo for my brain.

ok, well, that cancells out most black metal and death metal (though not all). so, i'd suggest these:

death metal:
Opeth
Dark Tranquillity
Meshuggah
In Flames

black metal:
The Elysian Fields
Borknagar
Agalloch

doom metal:
My Dying Bride
Electric Wizard (stoner elements are thrown in, too)
Black Sabbath (well, they are)
Cathedral

thrash/speed metal:
Testament
Flotsam and Jetsam
Metallica (early stuff is more along this type)
Megadeth
Anthrax

NWOBHM:
Motorhead
Judas Preist

prog metal:
Dream Theater
Fates Warning

other heavy metal:
TOOL
Acid Bath (though lyrically you might be against them on some stuff)
Coroner
Corrosion of Conformity
Down
Faith no More
Fantomas
MELVINS
Gamma Ray
Isis
Helloween
Prong
Soundgarden
Suicidal Tendencies (the name has nothing to do with what their lyrics are about)
Type O Negative

that should be good (long list, i know)

Judas Priest - Painkiller, much better than any other Priest album I've heard.
I'd also recommend Iced Earth, Children of Bodom, Black Sabbath (obviously), Cathedral, *OPETH*, Katatonia. You'd most probably like these bands considering what you're into now.

I'd also recommend thrash bands such as Slayer, Exodus, Testament, Death Angel, old Metallica. (I'm into thrash at the moment :D )

Hey, I've only been into metal for a few months as well, so I'm a little inexperienced, but this is the stuff I've been listening to.

I am not at all too fond of Satanism and stuff like that in songs.

You should check out some non-Satanic bands such as:

Deicide
Darkthrone
Beherit

*scratches head*

Hmm, I don't understand. I have my own cons about going to that website. What's so special/glamorous/ethical about worshiping Satan anyway? It always seemed to me like it just screws up one's mind in all sorts of ways and...

...wait, well tell me something I don't know then.

Ahhhhhh..... well, I'm not going to repeat myself, so why don't you just re-read my last post a few times until you finally figure it out... the point was that you don't even know what your talking about, so look into it to see what it's really about, or don't judge it, as your clearly ignorant to what Satanism is about... is that so hard to understand?

Furious B, just what is so funny? Are you mocking me?

Immortal, alright l'll just keep my ignorance to myself. Forget it. No I personally don't think I should go to that site. I already have this funny feeling inside of me that you are trying to brainwash me into something that may destroy my life. Okay just why exactly do you feel pissed off at me?

I'd reccomend Dark Tranquillity. It's quite non-satanic, non-death, their lyrical themes circle mostly around depression, loss and self-loathing. Their guitar melodies are quite reminiscent of Maiden at times, particularly the new album, Damage Done.

Try:

Therein
Auctioned
At Loss For Words
Cathode Ray Sunshine
The Treason Wall

Furious B, just what is so funny? Are you mocking me?

No, I just found it funny that when you specifically asked for bands that are not Satanic, Interesti suggested the most openly evil/satanic bands out there.