How my opinion on Opeths music has changed

Xarthaz

Jun 12, 2008
over the course of knowing them as a band. A year and a half ago after after first getting their albums, they just seemed like a regular metal band with a swedish sound, for a few months i listened to them sometimes, but didnt think much of them compared to other groups.

Suddenly, I "got" their sound. I was washed away by how incredible the harmonic progressions were. Its funny how something that seems like regular dissonant metal riffing with boring acoustic interludes at one time can become an incredible joy to listen to. In fact it was the most favourite way for me to spend time. I would throw an Opeth record into the stereo and lie on a sofa, completely immersed in it.

But now, after my honeymoon, or months, are over, that feeling is gone. Instead I sense a cold emotional vacancy when listening to them. It feels no better than a random ho-hum rock and roll band, despite its artistic greatness. I think that the course of getting to know the band shows that the best feeling is attained when the band is already familiar enough but not so much that all the melodies and progressions are in your head before they hit the speakers. Once that happens, the magic of any music is gone.

Share how your experience of listening to Opeth has been molded by time.:kickass:

652937990_l.jpg

First I didn't know Opeth. Then I knew them and didn't really like them. Then I knew them better and liked them. Haven't grown bored yet.

I think I see where you are coming from though, but maybe you just over-listened them. I've sometimes grown bored of some bands and didn't listen to them for years, then picked the albums up again and loved them. Don't know.

E: And oh yeah, this forum is pretty bad.

well, like all music, if you listen to it to much you'll grow tired of it.

well, like all music, if you listen to it to much you'll grow tired of it.

Yeah, that's true. I listened to Opeth all the time for about a year first, then I cooled off and didn't listen to them much until I got Watershed and now I'm hooked again. The thing with Opeth is, their music isn't exactly cheerful stuff and after a time you just find yourself looking for something brighter, something that gives you a positive vibe. Opeth have a negative vibe, even their mellow songs are always about pain and loneliness and grief.

Still, despite all that I know that I will never truly tire of them.:)

when i first starting listening to opeth, i was never into any metal. i mainly listened to rock bands and jazz artists like coltrane (still do.) but i was at the cd store one day, and i saw still life, and thought wow, what an awesome cover. the band looked really sophisticated and id heard about them before from some friends, and i decided to buy it. when i got home, the first track i played was benighted, because it was the shortest. loved it, but wasnt too keen on the heavier elements in other songs.

over time i gradually listened to more and more heavy opeth until i listened to as much heavy as a did soft. my enjoyment for more extreme styles of metal grew too. but last year and this year too ive grown to dislike the heavy side of opeth (and indeed the heavy side of all metal) and now i only listen to the soft

i still checked out watershed and the roundhouse tapes and all that, but i dont spin any of their old CDs unless it has a soft song i listen to