What is Mikael Åkerfeldt's opinion on Metallica?

What an awesome thread. I first heard Metallica back in '92 due to a buddy of mine having the black album. I really didn't think it was that great, but since he raved about Justice so much, I decided to buy that one. I was blown away. It was nothing like any of the crap they played on the radio back then (grunge crap). I ended up buying all Metallica's cds up to that point and loved them all... except the black album, lol. They got me into metal and playing guitar. A lot of my guitar playing has Metallica influence in it even now, and I haven't listened to them in years.

As far as the Napster thing goes, yeah, I lost much respect for them because I did experience myriad different "unknown" bands thanks to Napster. If it wasn't for illegal filesharing, I would not know anything about bands like Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Eucharist, Opeth, Katatonia or a whole slew of other ones that I now know of and like. That said... I am a collector... If I liked what I downloaded, I bought the cd (providing I could find it... even Ebay doesn't have everything).

As I previously stated, I haven't listened to Metallica in years, but I have heard bits of St. Anger by accident (on the radio, friends who had it, etc) and what I heard certainly didn't make me want to buy the cd.

I used to be a HUGE Metallica fan but eventually I moved on to (lets face it) better and more progressive bands. I still listen to their early albums though. Songs like Fade to Black and Blackened is some of the best metal ever written.

Exactly the same situation with me!

Agree with all your comments 100%

^ Same here. I've also moved on, occasionally listening to justice album though, its simply great.

And metallica has some songs that are immortal imo. MoP, Fade to black, One, for whom the bell tolls etc etc.

Justice is an excellent album. Even the "weaker" songs (e.g. Shortest Straw) are incredible. The whole album has a dry and raw feel about it which I love (and not "raw" in the St. Anger sense, either). I only wish Justice had audible bass.

Metallica was once my favorite band, and oddly it was 'Load' that made me like them. I didn't go crazy for them until I heard the early stuff, though. They were my gateway into metal, and I can't forget that. That's also what made me really want to get good at guitar, and get serious. So I owe them that.

I rarely get into the mood to listen to Metallica these days, though, even the first few albums, although I recognize their greatness. They were a band for my younger days; I don't find that much to latch onto any more. Kind of sad, but I guess that's how it goes.