What is Mikael Åkerfeldt's opinion on Metallica?

残月魔城;7409163 said:
It is so weird you guys don't like Black album. it's certainly top 3 album of Metallic

Well... In my opinion, "Master of Puppets", "Ride the Lightning", "And Justice For All..." and "Kill Em All" are all better, while the "Load"s and "St Anger" are worse, which would put it at number 5 for me.

Well... In my opinion, "Master of Puppets", "Ride the Lightning", "And Justice For All..." and "Kill Em All" are all better, while the "Load"s and "St Anger" are worse, which would put it at number 5 for me.
oh, I have special feeling of this black album "metallic", I got know it until 1994 and it served as an introduciton alblum which guides me to the world of metal. Quite shaming, it 's also my first time to listen this kind of music. :p

I like to choose "Master of Puppets" and "Kill 'Em All" besides the black one as my top three. Actually, the early works of them are all good.

I don't really have a fav one. It depends on what mode i'm im. One week "Kill em all" could be my fav and the next week "Black album". But i'm certain of one thing. Albums after the black album aren't very good.

Hell is here!

Say what you will about Metallica now, they have released at least four (in my eyes five) classic albums that every metal head worth their salt should own.

I really liked "The Black Album" when it was released. I just got bored of the music fairly quickly. It's like the opposite of Opeth. With Opeth I usually like a new album right away, but it grows on me with every listen and then I really start to love it and keep coming back to listen to it after years and years.

I still listen to the old Metallica albums from time to time, but every time I turn on "The Black Album"... I don't know... I kinda get bored and turn on something else. I'm not saying it's a bad album though, just not as interesting as the old ones.

As for disliking others starting to like a band that 'belonged' to me. I can't relate to that. I've actually tried to get many people I know to keep an open mind and listen to some of the music I like, hoping that they'll enjoy it.

I actually have a little story from those days... There were a couple of girls that from time to time used to ride in my car back then, around the time "The Black Album" was released. I had made a mixed tape to play in the car. One of the songs was Metallica's "One". Every time that song came on, they were both like "Turn off that awful music! It sounds horrible.". After a couple of weeks, when "The Black Album" was released, and all their friends had started to listen to it, they asked me to make a copy of it for them on tape.

I was happy to do so, and I also added "One" to the tape, since there was room for a few extra songs. A few days after that, they came to me and said:
"Damn! The album is great and the song One is really really good!".
So I said "Umm... That's the song you've kept telling me you hated and asked me to turn off every time you heard it in the car."
Both of them said "No! That's not the song. One is really good. It was some other song we didn't like."
I played the mixed tape again and they were both like "No. That's not the song we hated. This is a good song."

That part of it annoyed the crap out of me. Not that they started to like Metallica. That was fine by me. It's the part that they couldn't accept that they were so close minded and used to hate them before when I was trying to show them that they're actually good. And that what actually made them start listening to Metallica was pure peer pressure from their female friends at school that had started to listen to them.

That's a funny story about those girls and it's interesting to know some of the reasons why people don't like the black album. I didn't find it boring though, but now that I think about it, it kinda dated more than their older stuff, not songs like Nothing else matters or The unforgiven, because I think they surprisingly haven't (and I think these are two kick ass songs). However, say, Orion is just timeless.
I don't feel the bands 'belong' to me, it's not a feeling I can relate to either, but people don't like it when they have been supporting a band, 'working at it' in a way, and others tell you the music you listen to is crap and then the black album comes out and they are all over it... this happened to my husband and it really pissed him off!
Of course, we've all been new to a band at some stage so we were all noobs once!

If I had to choose,I would say that AJFA and MOP are the best from the Metallica catalogue.Their '80s era kicks ass by all the meanings but I'm not also negative to Black Album and Load.Load is good in its own nature,Hard Rockesque Heavy Metal with Southern Rock and Blues influences.Bleeding Me and The Outlaw Torn are really good songs.Production wise,Load is the best among 'Tallica catalogue.I can only say that Reload is average and St.Anger is a fucking big disaster.

Black Album is a very important album for '90s metal,Grunge was hitting the other genres hard,and many Thrash Metal bands refined their music for a mainstream approach.Metallica's only advantage was it's name,they were far beyond from many Thrash acts in terms of fame and Black Album put them to the top.We can count many bands influenced from Black Album.Well,there are good songs in it,but also the average ones,but it is a good Heavy Metal album I think.

On the other hand,I'm hopeful about the new album Death Magnetic,if it will "build the broken link" between the Black Album and the ass-kicking AJFA,it is more than OK.Videos on Mission:Metallica are hopegiving.I felt fucking betrayed when I heard St.Anger,I still cannot give a full listen to it,I felt the band that pushed me into metal was "gone".I hope they will fix it with the new album.

Their live performances are the best of the '00 era now.In 2003-2004,Hetfield's vox were bad-ass sucking.Also,they were tuning the guitars similar to the gooey St.Anger sound and that was killing the oldies.They are much better now,but still,vocally,Hetfield is in search of his pace in early '90s.I will see them on 27th July and I'm very excited for that to be honest.

Metallica has done a lot for Metal, it´s unbelievable..

Their live performances are still great but were at their prime late 80´s early 90´s. If you watch footage from a Justice show, you´ll hear James´voice pierce through anything. Metal and strong as can be. And there´s so much energy comming from the stage! Jason was cool as Hell and I still think it´s a pity he left. He was a beast on stage.

Their newest music sucks, but was great up to Load... But I´m still curious about the new one.

Metallica were my favorite band, since 2001 it´s Opeth!

Saw'em live in 2005.....they put on a good show....except in Blackened ....Lars missed the beat completely....alf way trough....the rest of teh show wwas good.....as for whaht Mikael thinks....well.....at one show he said if it weren't for "to live is to die..."....there would be no opeth.....that says a lot .........im sure he loves theh old stuff....not so sure bout teh black/loads/shit.anger stuff though.....PEAC EOUT

Sorry guys, didn't read the whole thread, but I've got something to say about the whole Napster debate.

Someone in this thread mentioned something like "so who of you guys paid for all the stuff that's on your hard drive?" and I'm proud to say that I can. I paid for every of my 3000+ songs on my computer. Why? Because I love music, dammit and I feel like fucking with the artists if I enjoy their stuff they put all their heart and effort into, without paying for it. I mean, if you look at those guys like Swanö or Tägtgren, these aren't the guys you see on MTV cribs showing off their Ferrari collection and their four jaccuzies in their bedroom. These are normal guys like you and me. Making music is THEIR JOB. They pay their bills with it. They don't produce something materialistic, but because it doesn't take effort to copy it (unlike a car or something) doesn't mean that you can feel free to get it without paying for it.

And I have to state that, in my opinion, Lars was absolutely right with the whole napster debate. Even though Metallica most probably have more money than they can spend, they deserve credit for what they give to the people. And no, in my opinion you're not allowed to spread albums over the internet that "are shitty" or "suck balls" as well.

The internet just made it easy and people got used to it, but still it's wrong as fuck.

I have to admit that I downloaded cds some years ago as well. But by now, I deleted them and got to the store and bought the albums if I liked them. I mean, one day I will be a software engineer. I will put a lot of work into software and I want to get paid for it. It's the exact same thing with artists that spend time writing and recording material. Sure, it's easy to copy the result, but if you do it you have no respect towards the guys that give you such a wunderful experience as listening to great quality music.

You know what's funny here in Canada? The law allows you to make a copy of an album for your personal use. I mean you can, legally, borrow a friend's album and make yourself a copy of it if it's ONLY for your personal use. I learned about that around a month ago when they redid the law around copyright for the music industry and the funny thing is they decided to leave this part of the law there.