My opinion on the new opeth cd

onlythedead

New Metal Member
Oct 14, 2002
Visit site
The new Opeth cd is beatiful and Heavy. But heavy in a different sense then the rest of their stuff. The drums sound awesome and have a MAYH feel on some parts. There are some parts that remind me of Morning Rise to a certain point, but at the same time they dont?! The song Deliverance is awesome. Opeth are still kings. www.soulseek.org (find it your damn self)

I would be happy if the entire album was some sort of a clone of Morningrise but.. that would be boring I guess :/.. bring me a better version of Blackwater Park and I'll be happy ;)

I have only listened to the album a couple of times and I have to say that I like what I hear.
At the moment it still feels like it is their weakest effort yet... but that usually changes after you really get into the album.
Opeth albums demands and deserves time...

Yeah, I usually just lurk around the forums and read, but I decided to add my two cents to this thread.

It's sort of strange, actually. When I first heard Opeth, I wasn't into metal at all. I hated the death metal vox, despised April Ethereal (and the rest of that album) and found Opeth extremely difficult to get into. I just didn't like heavy music then. I've grown to love them all and if I had to pick one, MAYH (ironically..) is at the top of my list.

Before hearing the new album, I was expecting more of the same..I predicted that I wouldn't like the album at first and it'd grow on me like all the others. After all, it is the "heavy" album. The thought crossed my mind that I might..hate this album for a week or so.

But man..when I first heard this album (I've already pre ordered, so all you music police fascists, back off. :) ), I was floored.
Is it their heaviest yet? By all means.

But god damn, this album sucked me in the first time I listened to. In fact, I've listened to it seven times in a row.

Amazing? Hell yes.

The sound?
Some of you are saying that Opeth has lost their.."feel" or "beauty." I couldn't disagree more. It's still Opeth.
It really doesn't sound like any of their other albums.
Maybe MAYH, but only because that one was also very heavy.
It's still very diverse, and I'm sure that most of you will be satisified with it. Keep in mind that this is a PROGRESSION. ^^ It's not as huge as the Morningrise-MAYH gap, but it IS a progression. Don't expect Blackwater Park 2.

I really don't know how to accurately describe this album.
Just..

for those of you are still worrying, don't. ^^

Mike and the guys haven't let us down yet, eh? :D

I dunno, sorry for rambling. :p

EDIT: By the way, the instrumental is amazing. :)

As with all of Opeth's albums...this song hasnt got a single bad point on it. I could list out dozens of places on the album which make me want to faint, they're *that* good...

I was one of the people saying stuff about how you shouldn't download the album, out of respect for the band and because it is wrong. I still agree but...*looks sheepish*, alright!! I caved in and got it! Are you happy now? I now feel like such a fucking fool...but If I could go back in time and not press that fateful button...download...I wouldn't.

This album has simply blown my mind. Its so fresh and original, unlike anything else Opeth has ever done (not that their others weren't original). I am stunned. I disagree about this not being a huge progression in Opeth's sound. It is the biggest stylistic leap they've ever made. The songs are so oddly structured compared to their others. The acoustic bits are so weird, their like Pink Floyd almost. This album...gosh...I can't write properly. I'm still stunned. I love it.

I am fully ok with being a hypocrite, the awesomeness of this album has totally destroyed any morals I may have had.

Edit: Also, from what I can hear the lyrics are the most personal Mikael's ever done. The word 'I' is used so often now, it feels like a story. Maybe hes being 'Deliverance'd from something? *Shrugs*

Needless to say, Deliverance is all I've been listening to since it came into my possession, and it's really started to sink in. I'm finding it become my favorite. Things I was initially put off by or didn't find too amazing are slowly becoming my favorite parts of the album. I think it's another classic for sure.

It's awesome. The attitude "well it doesn't sound exactly like every other album so it sucks i hate it!" is really stupid. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a band developing new sounds, not to say I'd be all pumped if Opeth did a country CD, but evolving is fine. I love the CD, the heaviness is killer, and actually almost painful its so sweet, and the mellowness and clean vocals are very erie.

Yeah, the album rocks hardcore. Only thing I'm disappointed about...some people made it sound like Master's Apprentices was as much a mad, riff fest, powerhouse as the song Blackwater Park. Ah well....I guess Blackwater Park holds it's place as my favorite Opeth song.

I'm listening to Opeth's Master's Apprentice's and I shall by this CD (Deliverance) on November 11th..
I don't like the opening riff to "Master's " However,the vocals are siiiick, and there is a nice segue from death metal/riff orgy/stomp to psychedelic folk, and it gets even folkier..Then..Like 7:40 some odd seconds into the song (like a monstor comming out of the night,) Mike comes out with the most terrifing roar/death growl wich segues nicly into a folkish blackish metal part..If you like ALL of Opeth's Cd's, there's a little bit of everthing that long time fans of Opeth would like in this song..However, Master's Apprentices is not nearly as dramatic (don't have the lyrics yet) or as emotional as some of Opeth's best songs..I just don't like the opening riff of the song, cheesy..There are parts and segues of Opeth's songs that seem to be written for maximum emotional impact..uplifting, melacholy, sort of like staring into a beautiful painting..The Acoustic guitars are not dubbed as back up to the riffs..I miss that..The folky parts segue nicely in "Master's" but it's going to take me time to listen to this..Psychedelic in some parts Master's Apprentices is an interesting and perhaps underrated track..Although I hate the opening riff, there are parts of this song that are interesting..-l-

So far I've only heard "Wreath" (Slow download for some reason...?). Definitely has the OPETH sound. OCTOBER TIDE comes to mind while listening to this though. The "Grey Dawn" CD.... Anyone else think so ??

Wreath is probably my least favourite song. Its actually got my favourite riff in there, god I love it, but the fact it has no clean bits just makes it less great than the others. Its not as adventurous or complex.

I love the album. The song Deliverance grabbed me from the first note - and it's grip has not loosened a bit.

The depth of Mikael's growling in the first part of the song - through 7:36 is classic Opeth with a much more developed sound then their earlier works.

Then from 7:36 through 8:16 comes the first real bridge of the song - a leap of sorts.

The guitar solo from 8:16 to 8:38 feels like I am cruising on the top of the bridge that started at 7:36.

Then from 8:38 to 9:34 comes more guitar work, but an enrichment of the drums. Martin's work here is wonderful. From the steady beat of the previous section comes the switch to beautiful cymbol work and offbeat rythym that complements the guitar, and my focus is on the drum work along with the beautiful melody and Mikaels soft voice.

Then the second "Laughing at me" at 9:34 to 9:36 stops me for a millisecond and prepares me for the most incredible section of music I have ever heard.

From 9:36 to 9:57 comes the exit of the bridge that started at 7:36. As I exit the bridge, and step into the final section of the song at 9:57, I am totally floored. When Martin strikes that first drum beat, my heart goes to my throat, and I get chills and goosebums every time. Repetetive? Not enough - I need more. A few times, the guitar echoes as it just teases you out of that amazing beat Martin and the boys are laying down - then, BAM. Right back into it again. I'm not a drummer, so I probably don't have the right terms, but the speedy footwork Martin displays - WOW. And at 12:56 to the end, you are ever so slowly taken away from that beat. And the bass work in beat with the drums just amplifies the magnitude the song from 9:57 to the end.

I can't say enough about this song or this album. As an artform it takes my breath away. And from what my ears hear - it is as close to a perfect listening experience can get.

Can you tell Deliverance is my favorite song - period. :)

I limited myself to 1 song off the album until it is in my hands... i chose Deliverance. First listen i didn't think it was good... now about 10 times through... this song is MONUMENTAL. i won't go into details (MMCPA did a good job of that) i am sooo eagerly awaiting this album... god damn every time Opeth releases an album i expect a letdown (i mean seriously how can one band KEEP releasing so much amazing music? they should've run out of ideas, the amount of shit they put into every song haha) but they keep delivering (no pun intended) And to think we still have the "clean" album to come after this... even if it is a total flop i will not be letdown by this band. Call me a stupid fanboy all ya want, this is the best band i think i will ever hear in my life. Bravo, Opeth, once again i am amazed, and i've only heard one song :D

EDIT: oh yeah... had to listen to the song again... i had that ending part stuck in my head all day... i thought it wasn't so good at first, but it has drawn me in, i kept singing it in my head... AND the part where the piano hits the note at 13:04 or so... it's like WHOA... yes, exactly like that... WHOA.

Originally posted by Bumblefoot

Call me a stupid fanboy all ya want, this is the best band i think i will ever hear in my life. Bravo, Opeth, once again i am amazed, and i've only heard one song :D

Do worry Bumbleman those individuals that title people here "Fanboy" are also fanboys themselves for always eagerly and regularly being here and for having all of Opeth's albums, so basically this in itself qualifies them as "fanboys" Just like theres various strains of apples theres various strains of fanboyism, I guess there were just to stupid to realise that.