Line 6 Pod X3 Pro + Mesa 2:100

JeroenV

Jan 16, 2008
the Netherlands
I'm planning on buying the line 6 x3 pro in a few months, i was curious what you reckon of it.
In combination with a Mesa 2:100 or Marshall EL34 100/100, many say that his combination delivers an ultimate (metal) guitarhead, just wanna know what your experiences are with a setup like this, in both live and studio.

The mesa 2:100 is a serious fucking weapon, I'd seriously consider getting something tube to put in front of it!

Yeah man, don't taint that Mesa 2:100 with a POD. Get a good preamp to run in front.

~006

I think the POD is a good preamp itself... I've heard VHT poweramps work best with it, tho. Apparently, they're more transparent and tighter-sounding than most other preamps.

I'd also check out the Randall MTS poweramp. It has the option of switching from EL34's to 6L6's via MIDI, which migh come usefull and add up to the POD versatility.

If you do want a pod, don't pay the absurd amount for the X3 Pro, get an XT Pro (preferably used) and save yourself a shitload, use 1 less rack space, and sound the same :)

I think the X3 pro and the XT pro cost pretty much the same new...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...Pro-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor?sku=482676

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...Pro-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor?sku=482196

You could save a bit by getting an XT Pro with the metal shop pack, you're right, but you would miss several features the X3 Pro has like the two-rigs-at-once thing, and slightly better sonic quality. I do agree with Metaltastic, the X3 is not worlds apart from the XT when it comes to tone, but I do think the features are much more numerous. However, this is just my opinion.

Hehe, alright Thanks guys!

So what would be a good preamp(tube), Engl 840/50 or a 850/100.
Im not sure yet, hence my questions, still in going back and forth from regular tube amps towards 19 inch rack modules.

Thing is.. i want a rig where i can get LOADS of sound out of, for example, today i might be rehearsing with my deathmetal band, and tomorrow with my math project, so i need a reliable, badass (preferably All tube) amp.
Some candidates:
Engl Savage 60/120
This combination; Xt pro with mesa 2:100
Krankenstein

You name it!

I think that u can really dial some good death metal tones from that pod, also u can get some really nice clean tone and some crunchy distortion and such... u just need to sit down a while to get a nice tone from it...
Cheers