Line 6 Vetta II - Yay or Nay?

urinebath

Terminal E
Jun 5, 2007
Cleveland, OH
www.myspace.com
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light and experiences with this amp in recording and live situations. The amp head model, not the combo. I realize this might be posted somewhere else but I couldn't find it.

I'm currently a Dual Rect owner, but I'm not satisfied with it's tone for my metal project.

The only thing that I know that is a problem is effect bleed over when changing tones. There's no bleed over.

Besides that what say some of you about this amp?

I have a vetta i head upgraded to vetta 2..

it is a great head for versatility , and plenty loud. You can get in the ball park of any sound you want. Once you get it through your head it is not going to react like a tube amp you can concetrate on dialing in sounds. Theres so many options it can take a while to tweak but once you get there it's fine.

I would definitly by a used vetta 1 and upgrade the software ( which is free from line 6 ).. you'll save a ton of dough. Keep in mind your Dual Rect will destroy the line 6 vetta sim... I own a dual recto as well..

Whoa - if you don't like the tone you get from a Dual Rec for metal, a Vetta probably isn't gonna help! (and anyway, if you want a metal tone, the HD147 would probably be a better bet).

I've had my dual rect. retubed many times, but still never happy with it. It's an older 2 channel. I've tried a bunch of different tubes too. Right now I think I have the best tone so far witha JJ's/tung sol mix. But still the amp doesn't have the definition I'm looking for. Some days it's noisy even with a Boss noise supressor.

I am wondering if the thing just needs an overhall? I've had it since around 1998 and it's been worked on a few times from normal wear and tear.

I know alot of my favorite bands use them and I'm not happy with the sound I have been getting in the last few years. Even the clean tone blows. I've invested in a Fender Hot Rod 1x12, and use a splitter footswitch to do my cleans.

I think the more I type and explain my amp, the more I answer my question that my amp needs some TLC.

Before you buy anything, test to keep the master volume low, and put a Tube screamer, or a TC booster in front. No Drive, all volume. If you still can't make a good sound from it... sell it and buy a Vetta head or a Vetta II head. Do NOT buy a HD147. We compared those amps when Meshuggah was about to get endorsed, and the Vetta II slayed the HD147.

Hmmm.... I haven't thought of using a tubescreamer. Where would I throw this in the chain.

Here's my current signal chain:

Guitar > Ernie Ball Volume Pedal > Fultone Fat Boost > Guyatone Echo > DD6 Delay > Holy Grail > Boss EQ > Boss Tuner > Boss Noise Supressor > EHX Switchblade > A Channel/Fender Hot Rod (Clean), B Channel/Dual Rect (Dirty)

Yeah, sweet jesus - two delay pedals (echo/DD6) and a reverb pedal? And you don't run them in the loop?

Beyond that, that Fulltone Fat Boost may be a similar design to the Tube Screamer (much like the Digitech Bad Monkey, Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive, etc.) - a good clue is whether green is a major color in its design. Either way, though, you'd wanna swap it out for a TS if you did get one, and you can see the FAQ stickied in the production section for more details (though the important thing to remember is that pretty much all metal guys will use it as an EQ effect rather than a "boost," putting the drive almost all the way down, and putting the level at the point where the volume is the same between turning the pedal on and off)

The Vetta II is a great head that has tons of options. You can literally spend all day playing with the amp and not actually playing guitar, not because you have to, but because you can. Plenty of power, tweaking/combinations for days, one of the most versatile amps ever.

I just bought a Krank Rev1 and will eventually sell my Vetta II Hd. It is in prestine condition, if you are interested shoot me a PM. I just don't need the versatility, deciding to go back to bare bones.

-Matt

Well, if you ever want to sell it let me know. I'm in Clev and wouldn't mind picking up another recto. With a clean boost in front of the amp and maybe try Andy's settings...I don't see how you can't get a great tone.

Yeah, sweet jesus - two delay pedals (echo/DD6) and a reverb pedal? And you don't run them in the loop?

Yes I use 2 delays and a reverb. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. I don't just play metal, I'm also in a hard rock band. With that project I need the effects because it's not just chug chug chug flail shred the whole time.

I'll try messing with the Fat Boost pedal some more, but I usually just use that for my leads. Since I don't have a 3rd channel in my Boogie.

Thanks for the advice fellas!

I don't think I'll be getting the Vetta after some more research I've done. I have a POD XT that I use at my home studio, but I am too old school to give up tubes. I'll keep it simple. I'll probably get an older 5150 if I feel the need.

Hmmm.... I haven't thought of using a tubescreamer. Where would I throw this in the chain.

Here's my current signal chain:

Guitar > Ernie Ball Volume Pedal > Fultone Fat Boost > Guyatone Echo > DD6 Delay > Holy Grail > Boss EQ > Boss Tuner > Boss Noise Supressor > EHX Switchblade > A Channel/Fender Hot Rod (Clean), B Channel/Dual Rect (Dirty)

Your chain might be an important factor in your tone problems. You should never have reverb, delay, chorus etc. effects in front of any gain effects, and your Dual Rect dirt channel does indeed count as gain. And that is also why it has an fx loop.
-Doesn't your volume pedal have an output for the tuner, that could save one space in the chain. Or at least have the tuner earlier.
-EQ is probably just a preference, but i would have it before delay(after gain effects)
-Having two amps on stage seems a bit extreme, i would probably throw away the Switchblade, use the rectifier for metal and the hot rod for hard rock(and maybe throw in a distortion pedal if you miss your dirty channel.)
-As people have already said Tubescreamer overdrive works wonders for metal distortion, no drive, only volume, adjust tone for personal preference.

necrothread.jpg