Randall V2 vs Line 6 Vetta ii and pickups.

EffigyForgotten

New Metal Member
May 22, 2012
Minas Morgul
In 1-2 months I might have a chance to change my setup and the main heads i'm looking for are the vetta 2 and the randall v2 archetype. I really don't care about full tubes to be honest because I just want the most brutal tight sound I can get :)

I like a pretty large variety of metal, including bands like, death, opeth. fear factory, meshuggah, suffocation, dying detus, carcass, dream theater, megadeth, exodus, etc. I'm really looking into the line 6 because both meshuggah and fear factory have used them and ffs tone on the 2 newst albums, is ridiculously good and it seems like it can do basically everything I would need it for, cleans, leads, brutal rhythm etc.

However the randall v2, has an also amazing tone as I know its one of the tightest amps out there and has some "tube tone" and its less versatile as the line 6 and I already have some pedals although I don't really like any of them :)

Also, I currently have a bare knuckle holy diver set in my main guitar, a PRS custom 24 se, and for my style of music I don't this pickup really suits me, im going for the aftermath bridge but for neck pickups i'm stuck between the cold sweat, and the liquifire, my favorite clean tone is john petrucci but my favorite lead sound is obscura (christian muenzer

Ha it looks like half of my post is gone.

The Vetta 2 is pretty versatile, just not the biggest fan of the sounds, the Randall is nice, but you shouldn't
believe that these amps are tighter than a tube amp just because they miss tubes.
I am not sure if Fear Factory used them for recording anywhere, Meshuggah used the POD so that's pretty
similar, the Vetta was only used for live stuff afaik.

Main question-what's your budget?
If it's almost open end for example and you want versatility, get yourself an Axe-Fx II, a nice poweramp and
be set, almost everysound, loads of great effects and you're pretty near to the real deal.
If your budget is only about 1k but still about versatility, get the Vetta II, if it's more about a good metal
sound and leads you could get yourself a Peavey 6505+, cleans are more or less useful, rythm can get pretty
brutal and leads are nice, tight amp.
The Marshall JVM410 could fit your style, too-way too many amps ;)

The Vetta 2 is pretty versatile, just not the biggest fan of the sounds, the Randall is nice, but you shouldn't
believe that these amps are tighter than a tube amp just because they miss tubes.
I am not sure if Fear Factory used them for recording anywhere, Meshuggah used the POD so that's pretty
similar, the Vetta was only used for live stuff afaik.

Main question-what's your budget?
If it's almost open end for example and you want versatility, get yourself an Axe-Fx II, a nice poweramp and
be set, almost everysound, loads of great effects and you're pretty near to the real deal.
If your budget is only about 1k but still about versatility, get the Vetta II, if it's more about a good metal
sound and leads you could get yourself a Peavey 6505+, cleans are more or less useful, rythm can get pretty
brutal and leads are nice, tight amp.
The Marshall JVM410 could fit your style, too-way too many amps ;)
Yes I do have a budget and I definitely can't afford an axe fx 2. I don't really like the leads on the 6505+ nor do I like the fizzy tone or the bad cleans. :erk:

The JVM was the first tube amp I ever played through and I hated it.

V2: real amp
Vetta: trying to mimic a real amp

Easy decision for me!

Try the aftermath neck in your c24, it's got nice and liquid distorted tones, but sounds really great clean and split

But you aren't into recording?
In that case I'd just get a nice tube amp :)
(Blackmore for example : awesome lead channel and some pretty nice cleans too)

Would be helpful to know your budget.
Do you need to be able to record silent?
Do you need a lot of fx?

Lasse has done some great clips of the V2 on youtube!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rXqHqgQcLo&feature=relmfu[/ame]

These amps kill live, I've got a T2 and never struggle to be heard.

I find the assertion that tube amps can't deliver "the most brutal tight sound" quite amusing - Engl Savage 120 or Mesa Mark IV/V (ahem, Petrucci) would be my vote for tightest possible awesome-sounding tube heads, and both will smoke the Randall and especially the Line 6 any day IMO

Does the pod hd500 still have the tight low end like the vetta?

The tight low end is achieved by using a pedal in front of the amp (TS9 or something similar), either in real life or as a "pedal" in the Line6 gear. With a tight budget I'd go for a POD HD and a cheap SS power amp. Cheap and versatile. Enough perfection for your taste IMHO. :)

The tight low end is achieved by using a pedal in front of the amp (TS9 or something similar), either in real life or as a "pedal" in the Line6 gear. With a tight budget I'd go for a POD HD and a cheap SS power amp. Cheap and versatile. Enough perfection for your taste IMHO. :)
I already have an amp with effect pedals and I personally think most solid states amp have a tighter more articulate sound, I think I might just buy a amptweaker tight metal pedal and some other pedals.

I already have an amp with effect pedals and I personally think most solid states amp have a tighter more articulate sound, I think I might just buy a amptweaker tight metal pedal and some other pedals.

A good tube amp with a TS in front is definetely better than a solid state amp.

I think with a PODHD500, using one of the ampsims and a TS simulation you can get a good enough sound for what you want!

I find the assertion that tube amps can't deliver "the most brutal tight sound" quite amusing - Engl Savage 120 or Mesa Mark IV/V (ahem, Petrucci) would be my vote for tightest possible awesome-sounding tube heads, and both will smoke the Randall and especially the Line 6 any day IMO

+1, except neither of those is anywhere close to the most brutal, or tightest amp I've played :p

Not saying Solid State amps aren't nice sounding, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money on one (aside from an Axe-FX, which is in a different league IMO) - Just buy a used VH-140C / SS-140 / Crate GX-130C and bask in the glory of brutal SS distortion.

So what is? (I guess VHT is the only other one that springs to mind, but I've never played one or even heard a recording of one that I'm aware of)

VHT Ultralead is definitely a good one.

Diezel Hagen, Rivera K-Tre, Splawn Nitro/Quickrod, Engl SE, Krank Rev+, EVH 5150 III, etc.