Randall V2 through a 140W 2x12?

WeepingRed

New Metal Member
Apr 13, 2018
Hey guys, I want to buy a Randall V2 I saw on eBay here but I've read that it's 280 watts at 8ohms, my speaker cab is half that, how loud would I be able to run it before my speakers are damaged? I'm only a bedroom player right now so obviously it won't be an issue for bedroom levels, but I am starting a band with a friend from college and will be using this since it's the only amp I'll have that's giggable, would I be able to play gig volumes without ruining my 2x12?

You can run into issues if you start pushing volume, but the v2 is a solid state amp head if I remember correctly, which is generally pmpo rated, not rms. In my experience, keep the maximum volume level at the percentage of wattage you want to stay under (volume only at half in your case), but this is far from a guarantee of safety.

Reactions: WeepingRed
You can run into issues if you start pushing volume, but the v2 is a solid state amp head if I remember correctly, which is generally pmpo rated, not rms. In my experience, keep the maximum volume level at the percentage of wattage you want to stay under (volume only at half in your case), but this is far from a guarantee of safety.

Thank you for posting. I'm going to get a Randall 2x12 when I can afford one, they're 200W so it should be more suitable for the amp, I don't think my back could handle taking a 4x12 up 3 flights of stairs so 2x12s are the only way I can go really. Anyway, thanks again for posting. And yes, it is a solid state head, with a phase inverter tube in the power amp section and 3 or 4 tubes for the tube distortion channel so it's sort of a little bit of both.