Worth it to replace the speakers in my randall cab?

The Unavoidable

jättebög
May 27, 2008
Umeå, Sweden
I got a good deal on a Randall G3 cab with celestions Seventy 80s a while back, just to go with my 6505 at the time. I was looking into upgrading in the cab department though, and my idea was pretty much either to sell the Randall and get a Marshall 1960 cab with the g12t75 speakers, or to pimp the Randall out with a couple of V30s. That would actually be cheaper, but my question is: Is it worth it to switch the speakers in the Randall, or should I just save up and get a better cab?

The cab itself is really sturdy and seems to be quite decent quality, made of solid birch plywood apparently, which I understand is pretty good stuff. Opinions?

Swap the speakers. The cab is some wooden planks fitted together.

Yeah, that's why people spend a fuckload of cash on a Mesa OS when a harley benton would work just as well :p

But yeah I guess the issue is that I don't have any experience with cabs whatsoever, I mean I think it looks great and seems to be in great quality but I have no real idea.

How about ohmage? I noticed that Thomann sells them both at 8 ohm and 16, how does that come in to play, and why should I care?

i had a g3 cab a few years ago that was made of mdf and overall size was on the small size, even compared to a marshall size but looks like the new g3 cabs are in fact birch plywood.

I went through several smallish cabs with crappy speakers before i got my mesa, before the mesa i had a line 6 spider cab, a v30 cab with birch plywood, sounded great, so cheap v30 cabs do sound good.

http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/4x12wiring.html

Choose the 3`th diagram Speakers in Series - Paralell that`s the most comon wirig.
Now if you buy 4, 8ohm speaker the impedance will be 8 ohm if you wire this way,
if you buy the 4, 16 ohm speakers the impedance will be 16ohm.
I opened up a couple of cabs and in most of the cases there are 16ohm Celestions in there(expecting one 4*12Harley Benton where it was the 8ohm V30 inside) so i sugest buy the 16ohm versions, i think it`s the same price.
Anyway tonewise i think it does not matter if you buy 8ohm or 16ohm speakers,but you have to connect to the correct impedance output on your amp that`s all.

bump for the question about ohmage in the speakers

Well what Ohmage do you prefer for your cabs. The Marshall standard is 16 Ohms. That way you get 8 ohms stereo and 4 or 16 Ohms mono with switches on the back.

Personally I like all my cabs to be 8 Ohms, so a Full Stack is 4. But if you typically run 4 cabs then 16 Ohms might be better, bringing you down to 4.

For Solid State amps, the lower impedance gives you more power. So wiring it up for 4 might be best.

8 Ohm cab = 4x 8 Ohm speakers
4 or 16 Ohm Cab = 4x 16Ohm speakers

For working with 2 speakers or sets of speakers at a time... wiring them parallel cuts the Ohms in half. Wiring them in series adds them.

I have a Randall cab I scored for $100. Has Seventy-80's in it, it is birch and full-sized with a sealed back. Sounds fine on its own. My ENGL with Vintage 30's makes it sound like it isn't even plugged in. So i would probably go all Vintage 30's, otherwise the two you put in there will just drown out the other speakers.

I am in a similar conundrum though since 4x Vintage 30's will be around $400 at a great price. Versus I can get a new Avatar cab loaded with Vintage 30's for $500.