Line-out not hot enough for reamping?

Joelegend

Joe not so legend
Jun 5, 2009
Belgium
So i reamping some stuff and noticed it all was kinda sounded undergained. I though the issue were the preamp tubes, until i connected a guitar to amp. It all sounded fine :(. So i checked the manual and noticed in the specs the max output lvl was +8dBu. I remember my previous interface (wich sounded horrible and i didn't like at all) had an output lvl of max +16dBu, didn't had this issue.
So... i use a daccapo reampingbox. I know turning the slider up the daw gives a little better result but not enough. What could be a decent, no so expensive solution for this? More output, but not to much noise. A simple booster? or another interface or whatever?

Interface with high output or booster or line preamplifier, later can be better because usually guitar boosters powered from 9 V which can be not enough to recreate original level without clipping, good mic/line/instrument preamplifier uses higher power supply to avoid this problem.

Passive or active pickups usually have peak levels more than +8 dbu, even if Daccapo have 1 to 1 transfer ratio it can be not enough. And did you try -10 dbV mode of Daccapo with your interface, maybe it can help a little?

I have this same problem with my Steinberg UR28M and Little Labs Red Eye. I thought about switching to the UR44, but the UR28M is +16db on the line out levels. That should be enough. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

Ola Englund's reamp tutorial was good, but I wish he would have covered setting levels and such.

For me +16 dbu is not enough, only +20 dbu is good enough :)
And I`m slightly prefer my mic/line/inst preamp as reamper device to modded Radial ProRMP (almost 1 to 1 transfer ratio).

I've looked everywhere online and even the UR44 PDF manual and I can't find what db output are it's line outs. I've also read that some reamp boxes lower the signal level too. Unfortunately, the Red Eye is notorious for doing this.

Radial reampers have around 11 db drop, don`t know about JCR, but X-Amp and stock ProRMP do this, later can be easily modded to have almost no level drop. Even without level drop interface should be able to deliver around 4-5 Vp (i.e. around +16 dbu) to recreate original passive pickups volume, active pickups at 9 V have less strict demands.

I just started with first reamping experiments using a Steinberg MR816CSX. Initially i also had problems with the level of the signal coming form the interface's output.
The only workaround i was able to find is:
- Mute all other outputs (or better shut off you monitor speakers) excpet the channel going to the reamp box
- Set the master volume to a level where the reamp signal sound like you guitar pluged into the amp. Unfortunatelly you have to raise the master volume to a really high level
- And NEVER foget to turn it down again before you play back your recording

This works for me though i have the impression that the reamped tracks are close but never identical to a live guitar recording :(

I just started with first reamping experiments using a Steinberg MR816CSX. Initially i also had problems with the level of the signal coming form the interface's output.
The only workaround i was able to find is:
- Mute all other outputs (or better shut off you monitor speakers) excpet the channel going to the reamp box
- Set the master volume to a level where the reamp signal sound like you guitar pluged into the amp. Unfortunatelly you have to raise the master volume to a really high level
- And NEVER foget to turn it down again before you play back your recording

This works for me though i have the impression that the reamped tracks are close but never identical to a live guitar recording :(

That maybe could work, didn't though about this before. Tho the line-outs (i am using) aren't linked to the master volume so they normally maxed anyway i think. I do can link em. Gonna give it a try tho. Thx

I've tried that before. I ended up with background noise being a problem, especially with clean guitars.

I really wish that one of the "pros" would step in on this thread and lend some knowledge about this.