Liquido - Float

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Liquido - Float
Nuclear Blast Records - NB 1367-2 - 2005
By Philip Whitehouse

float.jpg

This is my very first foray into the Non-Metal Reviews section of the webzine, not through any particular prejudice against forms of music that don't advocate anti-Christian church burning antics or severe misanthropic behaviour, but simply because I don't normally get sent non-metal promos to review. However, just lately I feel our esteemed editor, Russell, has been on a one-man campaign to move me away from grind to less extreme music. Either that, or he just hasn't been looking at what he's been sending me. Either way, now spinning in the CD player is the latest album from German pop-rock quartet Liquido, some eight years after their single 'Narcotic' severely pissed off a lot of people with it's incessant catchiness. So, for some reason, Nuclear Blast(?) have decided to sign them up. Can't see them going on tour with Dimmu Borgir, myself...

So, yeah, it's pretty much what you expect to hear - uncomplicated, three-minute pop-rock tracks with driving rhythms, breathy, multi-layered vocals and unchallenging arrangements, aimed straight at the 'disposable dance-floor filler' market of the undemanding rock-buying populace. There are occasional traces of electronica buried within (and I swear that the intro/main melody to first single 'Ordinary Life' is at least partially inspired by ancient arcade game Bubble Bobble), and in general it's all quite unassuming, inoffensive background music.

The odd touches of disco keys and more upbeat rhythms make this release an interesting change of pace from all the dour minor-chord stroking indie acts, although from time to time Liquido do simply come off as a slightly more childish and happy version of The Killers, or The Bravery without the Morrisey lookalike at the helm. The helium/delayed vocal effects at the beginning of 'Fake boys/girls' sit completely at odds with the album's heaviest guitars to this point, and the random hand-clapping throughout the verse is unnecessary. There's a feeling at many points that the group have tried to throw everything they can into the songs to make them stand out, whereas perhaps some application of a musical sort of Occam's Razor would have helped a lot more.

Note to Nuclear Blast - drop these guys soon and we can write it all off as temporary insanity, okay?

6/10

Liquido's Official Website
Nuclear Blast's Official Website