Little Labs Redeye DI tone reduction

avrinder

May 25, 2009
Canada
www.myspace.com
When I'm tracking through my Redeye (3D Phantom), to get the amp and DI recorded, the tone coming through my Triple Rec is sacrificed. When I go direct into my amp, the low-end is tighter and has more gain/bite. My INSTRUMENT/RE-AMP level is maxed out on the device too.

Any thoughts, or is this the one catch with the Redeye?

I actually just recently snagged the older Redeye from Jeff on the forum. Did a quick A/B comparison of the DI through the Redeye vs the DI straight into my Profire 2626.

The difference there wasn't anything crazy at all. I haven't actually did a real reamp with it as I need a 1/4" to XLR cable that, for some reason, I just keep putting off.

Not including the di file, the amp sound when tracking the amp/di is duller than if I played directly into the amp. Any ideas? :(

I haven't really noticed that through mine. What type of pickups are you playing and which input on the DI are you going through?

I feel the same about my redeye (mk1).
Straight into the amp, the guitar sounds great. But going through the redeye, whether its connected to the amp only, interface only, or both, the signal is a lot duller.

I'm interested to know what kind of pickups you guys have. Because it was well known that passive pickups lost a bit through the redeye. That's why they have two inputs in the new one, an active input for passive pickup and a passive input for active pickups. If you're using the right input with your pickup type in the new model I'd really like to hear exactly what the DI is changing in the sound.

If you read the instructions on the redeye it also states that the gain coming from the through output could be slightly higher or lower depending on the loading sensitivity of your amp. There is a +3db level switch INSIDE the DI to account for this, if you are using the active input. It also states that if you're plugging into the passive input, you'll lose 3 dB of signal because of how it's routed internally.

So to the OP, it shouldn't be sacrificing any tone, but depending on your pickups and the input you're using, you may just need a tiny bit extra gain on the amp when running through the redeye. Check that manual!

The older Redeye has significant tone loss with passive pickups at least, since it's passive. With bass I think it actually sounds pretty good so I often use it as a DI, but with guitar for me it's either a DI with a thru, or interface Hi-z input. Though to be honest, lately it's been forget reamping completely and just plug a guitar straight to amp.