Live After Death DVD

TXHOSER

Nobody f**ks w/ the Jesus
Jan 27, 2006
Austin, TX
I haven't watched the Live After Death video in probably ten years. It was on a 20'' TV and the tape was so worn that Adrian Smith's guitar track was almost nonexistent (which is kind of neat in a way). Anyway, I had the house to myself last night and watched the DVD on a 60-something inch HDTV and it was like watching it for the first time. The picture is great and on a large screen you can really get a good look at the detail of the stage and the moving light rig. Maybe it was the scotch but I was blown away at how it doesn't just hold up after all these years but is still one of the best live documents of a concert ever.

I haven't watched the extras yet, but if this package is supposted to cover the Powerslave/Somewhere in Time period, does that mean that there isn't going to be anything covering the Somewhere in Time tour? It's the only Maiden show I have never seen in any capacity and was hoping there was going to be something with this package. It seems like they were able to film every other tour so I have been hoping something from that tour would be released eventually. Anyone know anything?

Nope, nothing on Somewhere in Time...

Disc 1 has the LAD show
Disc 2 has the Rock In Rio 1985 show, a 15 minute clip called 'ello Texas from Piece of Mind, a one hour documentary picking up where The Early Years doc dropped off, the Behind The Iron Curtain documentary, and the vids for Aces High and 2 Minutes...

I picked this one up a few days ago and the sound is AMAZING! The picture quality could be better (grainy) but is very tolerable. The second DVD is great. Over 5 hours of bonus footage.

I, too, had the LAD VHS tape and I never heard Adrian Smith's guitars in the mix (worn tape or no.) I always assumed this was a mastering/recording problem and it annoyed me greatly. It was most noticeable during his solos. It will be nice to finally hear him.

bought it yesterday and watched it last night. Really great but I think Bruce actually pulls off the vocals better now than then, seems like he is just shouting alot of the vocals rather than singing them.

Nope, nothing on Somewhere in Time...

Disc 1 has the LAD show
Disc 2 has the Rock In Rio 1985 show, a 15 minute clip called 'ello Texas from Piece of Mind, a one hour documentary picking up where The Early Years doc dropped off, the Behind The Iron Curtain documentary, and the vids for Aces High and 2 Minutes...
Luckily I was able to see them on the tour for "Somewhere in Time". I saw them with WAYSTED at the Stabler Arena in Bethlehem, Pa. in 1987. Excellent fucking show!

Hell, I figured this was never going to come out, so I kinda forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!

Now after two trips to Best Buy and no one (of course) knowing what the hell I'm talking about, I have it in my grubby little hands!

Here's to not taking "I can't find it" for an answer and making that kid search the backroom for one of the 14 copies their computer said they had in stock! :kickass:

EDIT: Now after watching it again for the first time in years, all I can say is, "Los Angeles DESTROYED MY HEARING!" Ahh...just as good as I remembered.

Just watched the LAD DVD Disc 1 and Adrian Smith's guitar is supidly low in the mix, as it was on the old VHS copy. Surely they can fix this sort of thing with today's technology? I'm really disapointed with this, especially after the "Early Years" DVD was so well done. Hopefully disc 2 will make up for it...

I haven't watched the Live After Death video in probably ten years. It was on a 20'' TV and the tape was so worn that Adrian Smith's guitar track was almost nonexistent (which is kind of neat in a way). Anyway, I had the house to myself last night and watched the DVD on a 60-something inch HDTV and it was like watching it for the first time. The picture is great and on a large screen you can really get a good look at the detail of the stage and the moving light rig. Maybe it was the scotch but I was blown away at how it doesn't just hold up after all these years but is still one of the best live documents of a concert ever.

I haven't watched the extras yet, but if this package is supposted to cover the Powerslave/Somewhere in Time period, does that mean that there isn't going to be anything covering the Somewhere in Time tour? It's the only Maiden show I have never seen in any capacity and was hoping there was going to be something with this package. It seems like they were able to film every other tour so I have been hoping something from that tour would be released eventually. Anyone know anything?
The History Of Iron Maiden DVD special focuses mainly on the PS tour and making of. All the bonus features rock!:headbang:

I picked this one up a few days ago and the sound is AMAZING! The picture quality could be better (grainy) but is very tolerable. The second DVD is great. Over 5 hours of bonus footage.

Don't forget that this was not shot direct to video, it was sot on film, just like Van Halen's first live video concert with Sammy (Live Without a Net?).
Like someone else mentioned, I think we're getting spoiled by the modern video abilities. Just snagged this today, watching later on tonight....